Menu

Who knows about Rosetta Stone resale?

Carol in Cal.

I am not finding the info on the Rosetta Stone site, but I believe with the current edition, you can't resell it. They have to verify the software before you can use it, so there is an authentication procedure. If you want the software reinstalled, you have to contact RS and have them reactivate it, I think.

I know there was a thread about this in the past year, so a search may have the links.... But I don't think you can buy RS used for version 3 or 4 (homeschool is still version 3, private has upgraded with online chat and that's called 4).

So if you buy Version 3 used, it will work, but it's against the rules to use it?

Follow up question--how do we view the ethics of this purchase? Is it unethical to buy this used? What does the Hive think?

And as a customer who paid $500 for all three levels they wouldn't even give ME a third activation until I threw a FIT. They finally did after my computer crashed - but I had to literally PROVE that I was the person who purchased it with all the info on the original receipt including complete shipping address, order number, and some other number. Don't buy it used.

Now, if you have all the original shipping info, the order number, the receipt and the person you buy it from can prove to you that they uninstalled it from the computer and the activation is reset - you MIGHT be able to get away with it. But it is a risk.

As far as ethics - I think it is unethical to use pirated software. Just my pet peeve and no judgment on those who do.

On another list I received an offer to be able to buy Rosetta Stone for a very good price. But I heard a rumor that it might not work if it's a used copy? Or that the company either frowns on or doesn't allow resale? Does anyone know what is true about this?

I know you can go onto ebay and there is a "licensed" seller of rosetta stone that are slightly cheaper than going directedly w/ rosetta stone . . . I would probably go w/ rosetta in case of problems

I was at the British Museum earlier in the month. I don't think they ever bought it, so I don't think resale is possible.

Laura

This one deals with more advanced language skills than the other versions, doesn't it? My understanding is that it was copied in the past, but that is frowned upon now. I agree that resale of this version would be a big problem!

Be careful. I bought an older version used, and the older versions can be used on ANY number of computers. That is specifically why I wanted the older version. RS is lousy to deal with. When I got a Win 7 new computer, my old version seemed not to work on it. I called RS and they told me it was incompatible and there was nothing they would do to help. Even though they assumed I was the original purchaser, they would NOT help me get the upgrade discs, they won't even sell them anymore. Fortunately, someone told me how to install it - took less than 10 seconds-- and it DOES work now. RS doesnt want you to know that, and that is just LOUSY!

BUT, before I bought that one from a seller I knew on a forum, I was offered one on Veg, and it was not only a complete scam, but the cds he sent me were full of trojans/viruses. DO NOT BUY IT ON VEG!

If it is a mom you can talk to, on the phone, it might work out. Even the ebay ones were scammish....I almost fell for one, and called paypal to ask about their protection. We looked at the guy's feedback, and it was all bogus/fishy feedback ring stuff.

If you have concerns, please trust your gut. If you can find a real mom who is willing to give you her phone number to call, then it would be worth it to get an older version, IMO.

This one deals with more advanced language skills than the other versions, doesn't it? My understanding is that it was copied in the past, but that is frowned upon now. I agree that resale of this version would be a big problem!

Does that count as piracy? Who actually owns the Rosetta Stone? De facto ownership by happenstance and war might not be a legal basis for ownership. These are deep waters.

Laura

Buying used is not the same as pirating.

I believe that the business practices of RS are unethical. The sell a product but do not really release it. It is at a huge cost and paying for something makes it seem that you own that thing, when in fact RS still claims they own it. wrong, wrong, wrong!

Case law seems to be coming down on the side of the consumer in many similar circumstances but I don't believe anyone has sued RS yet.

Buying RS used IS pirating software because it clearly states in the license agreement that it is not allowed.

And as a customer who paid $500 for all three levels they wouldn't even give ME a third activation until I threw a FIT. They finally did after my computer crashed - but I had to literally PROVE that I was the person who purchased it with all the info on the original receipt including complete shipping address, order number, and some other number. Don't buy it used.

Better yet - just don't buy it! It's not worth all that money, and ACTFL (American Council of Teachers of Foreign Languages) feels that their aggressive marketing is contributing to language teachers and departments being slashed left and right. Why pay a teacher when RS will do it all? (yeah, right)

Buying RS used IS pirating software because it clearly states in the license agreement that it is not allowed.

This reminds me of the dishwasher I bought recently. I had to sign their contract upon receipt to say it was received in a certain condition. I could not open it or turn it over, but I had to sign for it.

Of course, they did not show me the contract when I purchased it online, so I was at their mercy. Their contract was written to protect them, not me. Turns out, it WAS damaged, but I couldn't see that because it was all boxed up and too large for me to move.

Major hassle ensued. The broken appliance is sitting in my living room while we battle it out.

When people buy RS, they have no idea usually that it can't be resold. Circumstances change. It doesn't work for everyone. Etc.

This is why I really respect Teaching Textbooks. They accept that their product will be resold, and they are so cool about it. They even let me sell it to someone disc by disc, so she can use disc one while I use disc 2 etc. They gave permission for that! How cool is that?!

RS policy stinks, is unrealistic and I won't ever buy their products new because of it. I'll either find a used copy, or go without. So I guess I am a pirate! ARR! :tongue_smilie: