Menu

Looking for science field trips in the midwest

We visited the Lederman Science Center at Fermilab yesterday. DS enjoyed the hands on exhibits and seeing the practical application of his science knowledge.

What other places are there in the midwest with science exhibits for older kids?

I guess I should be more specific in my definition of midwest. I am thinking more like Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Lower Michigan, lower Minnesota.

Edited by The Dragon Academy

In Hutchinson KS (central KS) there is the Kansas Cosmosphere and Space center. It is a museum on the history of space travel-has, omnimax theater, science lab programs, planetarium shows, and in the summer-space camp. They even restore stuff for the Smithsonian there.

That town also has an underground salt mine tour appropriate for older kids.

In Hutchinson KS (central KS) there is the Kansas Cosmosphere and Space center. It is a museum on the history of space travel-has, omnimax theater, science lab programs, planetarium shows, and in the summer-space camp. They even restore stuff for the Smithsonian there.

That town also has an underground salt mine tour appropriate for older kids.

Thanks for the heads up. That's a little farther west than we can travel at this point. I will keep it mind for next summer.

The Mississippi River Museum and Aquarium. It is in Iowa, right on border where Iowa, Wisconsin, and Illinois meet.

http://www.mississippirivermuseum.com/index.cfm#images/Homepage/Thumbnails575/Web copy_cropped1.jpg

ETA: Oh, and Chicago has some great places.... Museum of Science and Industry, Shedd's Aquarium, The Field Museum, Adler Planaterium

Edited by Country Girl

Southern Indiana, right outside Louisville, has the Falls of the Ohio state park (geology). There are small locks on the Louisville side of the river that can be visited, too, and they do river boat rides (and you can usually tour the engine rooms). I've heard that the Corp has built some sort of info center at the locks but I haven't been there. There's a steam boat museum on the Indy side down the road a bit in a historic house. There are shipyards all around it.

There's the small Thomas Edison house in Louisville. Glassworks (only place that houses all three types of glass production under one roof); The Louisville Slugger Museum (machining of various forms of bats); Frazier Arms Museum (history, not science, but also a terrific museum if you're in the area); and Louisville Science Museum (plus an arts and crafts museum I haven't been to, etc.) are all within a couple of blocks of each other downtown there.

Just a few minutes away from Louisville, in Starlight, Indiana, is the Forest Discovery Center of Coetter Woodworks. There are other museums in the Louisville area, too, that I'm not mentioning because they're not science museums....

If you can go as far as Ohio, Cincinnatti Museum Center is wonderful, as is the USAF Museum of Dayton. There's also a Wright Bros. museum of some sort there that I've never managed to get to yet. The USAF Museum is humongous and free! They do homeschool days twice a year and offer some good programs that are usually science related for older kids. These usually include physics demos, too. And of course there's all sorts of info about aviation inventions, improvements, etc.

Cincy Museum Center includes a Museum of Natural History that has good exhibits. They do monthly homeschool days that are often science related, but I don't know if they're now offering things for older students, or just elementary and middle schoolers....

The Children's Museum of Indianapolis has a lot of science exhibits (I've heard)....

There are pretty good zoos in both Cincy and in Louisville.

The museum of Science and Industry in Chicago is wonderful!

Though the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village are technically history museums, they are loaded with science due to the fact that they are centered around the history of engineering and such. Edison's labs, The Wright Brother Bicycle Shop, tons of science in the ford museum while teaching the history of steam, automotive engineering, etc. and quite often there is a wonderful documentary or two at the IMAX. Also, Detroit has an awesome Space Museum.

Faith

There is a new science center in Des Moines, Iowa. Right now they have a special exhibit on Da Vinci that is supposed to be amazing. I saw it advertised on TV. It looks like it would be an interesting place.

Bloomington, Indiana has a neat place - Wonderlab: The Museum of Science, Health and Technology. I attended a chemistry education conference at the university, and the conference rented out the museum for an evening event. Adults and children alike all had lots of fun. The grapevine climber was one of the highlights. There are also lots of great places to eat nearby in the campus area.

Erica in OR