Menu

I could use some advice

I have a 16 year old dn living with me. She is wonderful and intelligent and I am homeschooling her for this school year, technically her sophomore year. Last year she completed the freshman PACE [is that right?] She aced it. Probably spent less than an hour a day doing it as well. This year she is enrolled in Classical Conversations in the Challenge I program. I am a Challenge A director so I know the idea behind the Challenge program. Challenge I corresponds to 9th grade roughly, but I feel that any new subject is a new subject and she isn't working below her level in the least. She is doing Advanced Math from Saxon.

That is her background. My question is wrt her future and credit hours. I want to make sure she has the correct hours for a sophomore year. I also want to make sure that she is doing what she needs to be in preparation for college. I do not know what next year will bring. I would love to have her stay, but that may not be my call to make. KWIM?

How do I know what she needs re: credit hours? Should I have her volunteering somewhere? Should she be taking any exams this year? Her math is so far beyond me, that when I correct the tests I am just trying to make sure she did a bunch of work and got it right. :D If she is here next year, should I put her in a CC math course? Which one? She seems to be doing well in math and a friend who is a high school math teacher looked at one of her tests and said she had a good head on her shoulders so I don't want to cheat her there. I picked the Saxon b/c that is what she had been doing at home and I bought the DVD which had every answer worked out b/c I can't do that [history major :tongue_smilie:] But I wonder if she should be doing something else.

Well, thanks for letting me ramble. If you look at my siggy you will see that my oldest is 12 so I wasn't quite ready for high school yet.

I've not used any of the programs you mention, so I have no comments regarding the level of curricula you're using.

I'd suggest a look at HSLDA's website. They have a very helpful page on homeschooling high school (http://www.hslda.org/highschool/default.asp) One of their brochures lists sample high school plans for different levels of student (those who just want to graduate from high school, those who want college prep, and those who want to go for more selective colleges.) I found it very helpful when plannning high school. There are lots of other helps on the website as well.

You mentioned the girl's background, but nothing about her plans or goals for the future. That's what should shape the program she covers.

Bless you for doing this for her!

Debbie

Look to see if your state has graduation requirements posted online. I think most states do these days. If she is interested in college find one or two that she might be interested in and look for their admissions requirements. That will give you the "course titles" she will need. Tenth graders usually "take": English 2 , a math, a science, a history, foreign language, and an elective.

You mentioned the girl's background, but nothing about her plans or goals for the future. That's what should shape the program she covers.

Bless you for doing this for her!

Debbie

Well, the problem is, neither she nor myself know her future. I don't know if she has allowed herself to think she may have a collegiate [sp?] future. She is certainly thriving. Her course load thus far:

Henle Latin: We are also covering English grammar here.

Amer Lit: Lots of reading and writing about it. Including books like Billy Budd [ugh!] and Scarlet Letter, Poe, a bunch of American poetry.

Econ: She is going through books that are a bit simple, but she also has a stock portfolio she is following and also finding current articles about economics and answering questions regarding them.

Debate: She is using civics and American history to practice a particular style of debate.

Math: She is going through Advanced Math and for the most part, I think she is getting it. It is hard to tell, since I am not a math person.

She is also studying Taming of the Shrew in a philosophical manner, as well as reading scenes aloud in class and watching different versions of it.

Some of the material is too easy, [i.e. Johnny Tremain] but the idea is to write solid papers and not always worry about comprehension [like Billy Budd]

For the most part everything she does is solid.

In addition to the core work she is doing for CC, I have her taking piano and reading various books. Right now, she is reading my 100 level American history textbook 1500-1850.

She is def. college material, but I don't know if she has a direction. She is the youngest of 5 and life was not always ideal. Homeschooling has not been consistent in material and method.

Oops, I forgot science. She is doing Apologia Physical Science. Again, acing it. Since she is a sophmore, she is a bit behind in this area, as she should be in Biology, but I would imagine we could make that up somehow.

Wow, I am still rambling. Ahhh, I am not even sure if I have the right to think about her future, so that is part of my dilemma. Thanks for letting me ramble.