Menu

When do I need to do real literary analysis? (crosspost)

I'm talking about real literary analysis beyond just talking about the book. Learning all the terms, writing analysis papers etc. I'm trying to decide between Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings and Omnibus II next year for my 8th grader. I'd rather do Omnibus because of the Christian viewpoint, variety of books beyond LOTR etc. But LLoLOTR has alot more true literary analysis. Should I be doing more of that or can that be really a high school study?

Thanks

Heather, your daughters are still very young. To get you started, I'd suggest perhaps Teaching the Classics (DVD and syllabus) which demonstrates textual analysis covering the basic literary elements. A fun "put it in action" book (for you) is Deconstructing Penguins, which approaches lit analysis with young children like yours.That will show you ways of incorporating Socratic-style questioning to bring out the elements of a text. If your middle-school children like fill-in-the-blank style workbooks, you might supplement with Figuratively Speaking, which defines terms and provides workpages using excerpts from age-appropriate literature.

I haven't used Omnibus but have taught LLLOTR in a co-op class. Although it does cover many literary terms and elements, it tends not to revisit any of them once introduced--I found that disappointing and ended up having to guide students towards ongoing analysis myself. You can certainly save that course for high school. Once there, a very helpful book is Writing About Literature, by Edgar V. Roberts (available used in many editions). This is a combination lit analysis text and anthology, so all the texts (short stories, poetry, drama) analysed in the text are also included there, along with sample essays to show the student how to construct an argumentative/ analytical paper.

(Thanks, by the way, to Janice in NJ and Kathleen for pointing me towards DP and WAL, respectively).

that I've found. CLE covers lit. analysis plus other things but it doesn't apply it to writing (not up to gr. 8 at least). I highly recommend CLE reading.

Other than CLE, PASS LA units 6 do a good job:

http://www.pass.leon.k12.fl.us/Book%20Subject%20Areas/Language%20Arts.aspx

Writing About Literature by Edgar Roberts covers lit. analysis and applys it to writing (check on Amazon used).

Hi Stacey,

I shouldn't get the credit for DP though. I found the resource here! But don't remember who pointed me in the direction of it - but my thanks go out to whoever it was.

And thanks go out to you too. WAL is on my shelf because of your rec! (I must have missed Kathleen's thumbs up post.) THANKS! The analysis part makes sense to me now, and because of WAL, the writing part does too!

So, here's a thanks comin' right back at ya!

Don't you love these boards!?!

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

that I've found. CLE covers lit. analysis plus other things but it doesn't apply it to writing (not up to gr. 8 at least). I highly recommend CLE reading.

What is CLE? I know there is an abbreviation guide somewhere on this board, but I couldn't find it.

Thanks,

CLE reading is NOT just about reading but thinking about reading with lots of literature analysis, critical thinking, latin root words, scripture memorization and more. It uses a reader (short stories and poems NOT short/abridged works of lit.)and 5 workbooks for the year.

Join the CLE families yahoo group to see the detailed scope & sequence charts in the files and samples in the photo section of the group.