Menu

Basic writing skills curriculum?

My daughter is a sophomore and this is our first year to homeschool. I feel like we need to go back and review writing basics, ie how to write a good sentence, paragraph, etc. I think this would be time well spent, but we need good material. Suggestions?

Writeshop works specifically on sentence skills and building good paragraphs. Older students can usually move through the material quite quickly and I found the grading sheets very helpful as the teacher. Here's the link: http://www.writeshop.com/

Rod and Staff grammar is also easy to use and teaches correct grammar and sentence construction, if you want that. Start at a lower level (5th?) if your daughter has not had grammar before & skip the writing lesson portions if desired. Here's the link:

http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/list/Building_Christian_English_Series/

Hope this helps,

Dawn

Thanks for your prompt and helpful suggestions.

I found this very helpful and placed an online order for the curriculum.

Sounds like exactly what I was looking for!

So, what did you order? ;)

My not-so-prompt reply is that we used Write Shop for 6th-7th-8th grade. It can be completed in 1 or 2 years as well. I liked it because it provided the hand-holding this math mom needed and the explicit instruction my writing-phobic ds needed. You may read my review here.