Menu

School and curriculum choices

I've been reading and posting on this forum for a while, I think I found it via the Kitchen Table Math blog. I'm so thankful to this forum for introducing me to WTM and curriculum.

I after school with my son. We slowly cover Singapore Math & Kumon workbooks, nothing too much. Just reinforcing what he's learning at school - which is Saxon Math (thankfully!)

We had parent teacher conferences and I asked about my son's accelerated math group. The teacher said the kids that were getting "math enrichment" were getting some lessons based on SINGAPORE MATH! I was super excited! lol He doesn't come home with worksheets from this math group but he's come home with his work on paper - bar graphs, pie charts, shapes/geometry, etc. They've even done some fractions! I tried to contain my excitement that they were doing Singapore Math!

The only downside to my knowing about different curriculum now is it makes me second guess our school choice all the time. My son may be able to qualify for a "gifted" magnet program in our district (he goes to a charter outside of our district right now). I looked at that school's website and they use: Words Their Way, Wordly Wise, Ceasar’s English by Michael Clay Thompson, and Write From the Beginning, Write Source. Grammar Series by Michael Clay Thompson!

Now, I would have no idea about these programs if it wasn't for this forum. Because I've heard people rave about these programs (especially MCT) from people here I wonder if I should take a look at the other school. :confused: I've been meaning to but I'm so torn. My son really likes his school and we like the schedule. Moving to this other school would mean making new friends and changing schedule.

I can't possibly "after school" all these great writing programs. Maybe a little Wordly Wise. And I'd love to look at MCT. :)

So, this forum can be such a huge help! But for me I keep checking out other school's curriculum! lol

~Michelle :D

Like you, Michelle, I am so thankful for these forums and they've been a huge help to me through the years. Unfortunately, we have no Singapore supplements so I'm jealous of that:tongue_smilie:! I'd be torn, too , if I were you. My kids would also not want to leave their school, but the longer they are there the more it seems like home to them, so if you do make a move I'd do it now while your ds is still so young (I got his age from another thread). I once considered a gifted magnet for mine, but decided against it in the end.

You are right, you cannot afterschool those great writing programs, and I'm here to tell you that the older your dc get, the less afterschooling you may do.

Good luck with your decision (so hard!).

I am familiar with Wordly Wise and the MCT materials. Wordly Wise isn't special; in fact, when used on grade level, it will be busywork for most gifted children. But MCT is different and would be a *wonderful* supplement for your afterschooling.

I would seriously consider the magnet school. Some teachers are great for gifted kids and some are really not. Even if the current teacher is good that is hard to find year after year. I think think a gifted magnet school would be more likely to teach what the kid needs or at least closer to it. Its not really about the curriculum although I would definitely share your excitement there! Its the other kids in the room. A teacher can do so much more with a group that is close to each other in ability than he/she can in a normal classroom. And a gifted classroom is much more likely to have goals that include gifted kids rather than goals that gifted kids have often achieved before they set foot in the classroom. Of course gifted classrooms aren't the answer for everyone either. The range of abilities is still very wide.

I am familiar with Wordly Wise and the MCT materials. Wordly Wise isn't special; in fact, when used on grade level, it will be busywork for most gifted children. But MCT is different and would be a *wonderful* supplement for your afterschooling.

Good to know, thank you! I was worried we would be missing out.

I would seriously consider the magnet school. Some teachers are great for gifted kids and some are really not. Even if the current teacher is good that is hard to find year after year. I think think a gifted magnet school would be more likely to teach what the kid needs or at least closer to it. Its not really about the curriculum although I would definitely share your excitement there! Its the other kids in the room. A teacher can do so much more with a group that is close to each other in ability than he/she can in a normal classroom. And a gifted classroom is much more likely to have goals that include gifted kids rather than goals that gifted kids have often achieved before they set foot in the classroom. Of course gifted classrooms aren't the answer for everyone either. The range of abilities is still very wide.

I am definitely interested in the magnet school. I'm going to see if I can speak with someone soon. My son has some emotional issues sometimes at school. It's gotten better, but he's one of the youngest in his class(he is the youngest boy) so he's always going to have a difference in age (close to a year) with the other boys. One of the things his teachers told us was how frustrated he gets when he raises his hand for class discussion and doesn't get chosen. I realize a lot of kids have this issue but my son is usually in deep thought about what he's learning and sometimes he wants *more* from class.

Thanks for all the replies! I thought we had won the jackpot (at least for now!) with Saxon & Singapore math, lol! :)