Menu

Poll love, hate, indifferent to political phone calls

Political phone calls Love them, Hate them, Indifferent or Other?  

1. 1. Political phone calls Love them, Hate them, Indifferent or Other?

• Love them
    • Hate them
    • Indifferent
    • Other

I was not happy on Monday. We were trying to do school and the phone kept ringing, so I let it go to the answering machine. One was from a woman who declared that she was raped when she was 18 and that Bill Brady (running for Gov. of IL) will make abortion illegal in IL. No sooner did she hang up than ds turns to me and asks,"What is rape and abortion?"

Uhhhhhh. I told him abortion is the ending of a pregnancy. He didn't ask more and I didn't tell more. He kept asking what rape was. I didn't know what to say since I was still in shock so I told him to ask his father. He forgot about it by the time dh got home.

The message was left by Personal PAC, so I went to their website and sent them an e-mail asking that any messages left on answering machines be OK for kids.

Never heard back from them.

Other-I never receive any since I do not vote in the state in which I live.

Here they don't even care if you are registered or not. They just go by phone lists of residents.

Maybe the 'live callers' call the registered voters and the recordings go out to everyone LOL.

It's weird. We live in a more predominantly conservative/Republican/well to do suburb. But we live in the poor part LOL We rarely ever get any political calls here. I'm not sure if it's because of the are of town we're in (and I don't know how they'd target that since phone #'s aren't necessarily in what part of town you are anymore. We always expect that we're going to see tons, and we don't.

I was not happy on Monday. We were trying to do school and the phone kept ringing, so I let it go to the answering machine. One was from a woman who declared that she was raped when she was 18 and that Bill Brady (running for Gov. of IL) will make abortion illegal in IL. No sooner did she hang up than ds turns to me and asks,"What is rape and abortion?"

Uhhhhhh. I told him abortion is the ending of a pregnancy. He didn't ask more and I didn't tell more. He kept asking what rape was. I didn't know what to say since I was still in shock so I told him to ask his father. He forgot about it by the time dh got home.

The message was left by Personal PAC, so I went to their website and sent them an e-mail asking that any messages left on answering machines be OK for kids.

Never heard back from them.

Here there is an ad on the radio that begins something to the effect of "John Doe wants to keep abortion legal.." There is NO time to turn the station or lower the volume before that tidbit invades my ears. :glare::glare::glare:

Hate.

The junk mail and the radio and television ads, too. Hate, hate, hate.

I think they are worthless. The information is exaggerated or misleading regardless of the politician or group paying for the ad.

I *despise* all political advertising! I toss the mailers, hang up on the phone calls, and change the channel on the TV & radio ads.

So how will I make my INFORMED decision on election day? Well, I'll look at a sample ballot, check out the candidates' websites and decide for myself. I guess a lot of people don't to that, though, as the marketing ploy of inundating voters with 'name recognition' and "smear tactics" must work. :glare:

I, too, wish they were not exempt from the "Do Not Call List". In fact, I agree with Audrey in that I wish no one was exempt. I just don't like businesses/charities/churches/whomever calling me. Period. E-mail is my friend. :D

I voted "indifferent" as a compromise.

I do not love them because I feel they would be of more value if they talked about how their candidate stood on the issues instead of negative attacks on the other guy/gal.

I do not hate them because I am thankful that we live in a free society that allows open discussion, even if it is discussion I don't want to hear.

Pull the phone out, unless you have caller ID on it. At least on a cell phone you can see who's calling. I've very nearly gotten rid of our landline altogether because of phone calls like this - it used to drive me batty. Now I just don't answer the house phone much at all.

Every now and again, I get repeat phone calls on my cell from numbers I don't recognise. I assign these to the title "Pest Caller" in my Contacts list, and have set it to automatically redirect to my voicemail (which I don't have set up anyway, so it just dies on them when they try to call me :sneaky2: )

Junk mail - I open ALL mail over the bin. A tip I received from my MIL. One of her best.

So how will I make my INFORMED decision on election day? Well, I'll look at a sample ballot, check out the candidates' websites and decide for myself. I guess a lot of people don't to that, though, as the marketing ploy of inundating voters with 'name recognition' and "smear tactics" must work. :glare:

I don't understand people who don't research the candidates and/or issues *at all*. Last election there were 2 candidates for Sheriff. Again, I don't live in my state, so I look them up. One had been a police officer for 20+ years. The other was a truck driver who had been a security guard on the side for a couple of years. REALLY!?

I, too, wish they were not exempt from the "Do Not Call List". In fact, I agree with Audrey in that I wish no one was exempt. I just don't like businesses/charities/churches/whomever calling me. Period. E-mail is my friend. :D

The calls that I hate? Creditors calling for the person who had my phone number before I moved here. I've been getting calls for her for almost 3 years. I will get a lot of calls, I will FREAK OUT on someone, they will stop for a while. After a couple of months they start up again. UGH! I hate it!

Other-I never receive any since I do not vote in the state in which I live.

I wish I was this lucky. I've lived in VA for almost 3 years now, but we're registered voters in FL and vote absentee. No matter how many times I tell them to make a note that I'm not a registered to vote in VA, I still get multiple calls a day about VA elections.

During the last Presidential Election I would get at least one recorded John McCain call a day, my dh started teasing me about it and asking me if my "buddy John" called.

Edited by nukeswife

Grrr I just got one. I had expected dh to return a call, so I picked up the phone.

You may know that our state is in the midst of a senate election with an "interesting" candidate. I received a call from her camp. What, the almost daily mailings aren't enough?

Geesh. The call won't work, anyway ;)

I am so sick of these pre-recorded calls that I refuse to answer the phone. I watch the caller i.d. and if I don't know the number, I refuse to pick up.

It makes me doubly angry that the "do not call" legislation exempted politicians and fund raising organizations. Dh works from home and these calls are just a non-stop hassle. My standard line, "I don't pay for my phone line so that you can abuse it. Would you like to pay my phone bill? No, then don't call back."

If I want to talk to a politico, I can look up the number and call. Those phones are paid for by my tax dollars.

Faith

Oh and don't start me on the waste of trees in the form of DAILY MAILINGS that say nothing of substance about the candidate but certainly sling mud at their opponent! It should be a crime to waste as much paper, ink, and man power as they do on these mailings!!!!!

Faith, all riled up just thinking about it.

Hate, loathe, and despise!!!! My dh gets calls constantly on his cell phone for me!! Wha?!?!!!? And the stupid things are wasting his minutes!!!! Grrrrr!

The mailings also make me ill. We get a dozen a day and they are the same ones from the same people, over and over. It is a collosal waste of money and natural resources!

When I run the world... :D No political calls and no political mailings. There will be websites and phones lines for voters to use at their leisure to research the issues and the candidates! :tongue_smilie: