Menu

Has anyone had a 13yo/8th grader take an AP exam?

My ds12 (will be 13 long before May) choose Java as an elective this year (because I required an elective and provided a list of things they could choose from) and has really run with it. I had not planned the course as AP level, but he is already past what I planned for him and is asking if he can take the AP exam in the spring. I told him I thought so if he wanted to, as it's commonly offered. But then I was just wondering if maybe his age would be a problem? Does anyone have any experience with that? How far in advance do you have to decide absolutely and make arrangements with a school to proctor? I was thinking three months since exam needs to be ordered, but that is an exam fairly commonly given around here.

I am not worried about his being able to do well if he decides to because his dad is a computer guy and helps him resolve whatever programming issues he has, and ds has looked over the released exam and thinks he can do it by May. The logistics are starting to give me a headache, since I just realized that he also plans to compete at Nationals this year for gymnastics and I'm I think those are late spring, possibly May... This is my punishment for wanting them to find interests beyond gaming in their free time! :)

We toyed with the idea -and then decided against it because AP scores only keep for 4 years. If you want them later, you have to jump through hoops and pay money to the college board - so unless kid definitely graduates early, it will be a headache using it for college admission.

I know I got my AP scores 15 years after I took them, but I don't remember how hard it was to do. I do remember that getting my GED, issued by the State of New York on the basis of college credits, was really hard since the form wants you to request GED exam scores and I never took the exam.

This child is already a year young for his grade and wants to be an NCAA Div 1 gymnast so cannot graduate any younger. On the other hand, he decided on his own that he wants to do this and did a fair amount of research into what the exam tests before asking me a bout it. It's the first time he has ever taken any real academic initiative so I don't want to squash that! Decisions, decisions. :confused:

Is he planning on dropping Java after the exam, or continuing to progress? Because if he's going to continue to progress, he could just take the exam as a freshman instead, with an extra year's worth of programming. My SO (computer guy) opines that there's no such thing as too much high-school programming, but he may be biased :D

My then-12 yo took an SAT II subject test last year. The only extra hoop was that she could not sign up online because she was under 13. We had to go to the local high school to get a paper registration form and mail it in. She also could not get her score online, but if she had been 13, as your son is, that would not have been a problem.

My now-13 yo is planning to take the AP World History exam this year.

Does your son have a valid picture ID? We got my daughter a passport just so she would have a picture ID.

Totally irrelevant, but my 13 yo daughter also wants to be a Div. I gymnast. A lot could change between now and then, but we are keeping NCAA requirements in mind for her as well.

Terri

My then-12 yo took an SAT II subject test last year. The only extra hoop was that she could not sign up online because she was under 13.

Same here -- I signed my 12yo 8th-grader up for an SAT subject test last year. I had to write to the College Board to have them keep his score on file (if a kid is pre-high school they "flush" the scores the summer after that academic year).

I don't know what happens to AP scores after four years; from what regentrude says it sounds like a hassle. There was a thread on pre-high-school kids & AP tests here recently -- maybe 3-4 weeks ago; that might be helpful. (BTW my now-13-yo ds will be taking the AP Java test this May also -- it just worked out that way. The high-school-level Java class turned out to be at 6:45 a.m. (!), and we found a great AP class.) Best wishes to your son -- also with gymnastics. (Yes, it's funny when we get what we ask for :001_smile: I used to say I wished my boys would develop separate interests ... now logistics are challenging, with one doing a 70-mile bike race the same day the other is doing a math competition an hour away :glare:)

~Laura

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and experiences!

He does have a passport, so the ID is taken care of.

And while I don't think he will drop Java entirely, I do suspect he'll branch out quite a bit. He has already dabbled in html, which is almost completely unrelated, and in C++ which his Dad favors. My brother, who has a PhD in Comp Sci (cryptography to be specific), is pushing Scheme, though I don't know that he will sell the kid on learning that.

I am leaning toward letting him decide. I think, other pros and cons aside, letting him set a high academic goal and achieve it for himself on his own terms is going to win out. I pay out insane gym fees year after year in hopes that some of the goal setting and hard work to achieve it will transfer to other areas of his life. So, if his personal twin goals for the year are qualifying for JO Nationals and doing well on the AP Comp Sci test, well more power to him, and I will do whatever I can to help him succeed in both. Even if I really hate picking him up every night from the gym in the dark and rain... :p (And I live near Seattle; it will be dark and rainy at pick up time for the next several months!)

As an aside Terri, I know what you mean about how many things can change between here and there. Ds broke his ankle right before states last year, and we have seen a lot of kids injure out in the last 12 months. Even if you don't want things to change, they can and in an instant. :( Good luck to your daughter and best wishes for an injury free route to the NCAA Div 1!

I know I got my AP scores 15 years after I took them, but I don't remember how hard it was to do. I do remember that getting my GED, issued by the State of New York on the basis of college credits, was really hard since the form wants you to request GED exam scores and I never took the exam.

This child is already a year young for his grade and wants to be an NCAA Div 1 gymnast so cannot graduate any younger. On the other hand, he decided on his own that he wants to do this and did a fair amount of research into what the exam tests before asking me a bout it. It's the first time he has ever taken any real academic initiative so I don't want to squash that! Decisions, decisions. :confused:

Definitely don't squash it! Let him take the AP this year. If by some chance he doesn't score well enough, he can always take it again. I wouldn't let the 4 year thing stop him from trying. :)