Menu

Phonics/Reading games

Alice

I'm looking for some fun games to do with my son as we're working on phonics and reading. He is 4 1/2 and we're just finishing ETC Book 1. He is great at sounding out the words and does well with CVC words. He likes the workbooks but I've found he does better when I break it up with more games and activities.

Last week we did a Mad Lib game, a word Bingo game and a game I made up involving him picking letters from three piles and building words. He liked all of these and I want to keep doing some to help with review and fluency as we move on to learning blends.

So what games have worked for you all?

I really enjoy pulling ideas out of Peggy Kaye's books...Games for Reading, Games for Writing, Games for Learning, Games for Math... They're geared for K-3rd graders, but I've been able to use the games geared for K for a couple years already, and my oldest is only 5. You can get them new at Amazon in the $10-$11 range. Enjoy!

Hey Alice,

I have a some books you can borrow on games you can make, and I have some Montessori object games and homemade Bingo games you can use. I also have reading rods. Wanna come over and look?

At some point maybe I should start paying you a consultant fee. :D Or at least bring you some cookies. I'd love to come by sometime and see what you have. We have family stuff the next few weeks but I'll PM or e-mail you sometime. Thanks!

Thanks for the other suggestions too!