Menu

chicken pops. *g*

I'm 80% sure little miss has them. Just got off the phone with the ped -I needed them to remind me who else never got that particular vax (I selectively vaccinate) and looks like the smaller 5 all never got it. So, I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to homeschool though this.

:confused:

I found that twice daily baths were indispensable for keeping the affected child comfortable. I put about a cup of uncooked oatmeal in a white tube sock and tied it shut. The child was allowed to play in the bath, squeezing the oatmeal sock under the running water to infuse the bath, and rubbing the sock on his/her body. The water gets kind of cloudy. We'd finish with a quick rinse under the shower, towel dry, and immediately apply caladryl or calamine lotion to each and every pox (I found that 2 Q-tips dipped in the medicine worked better than a cotton ball).

I threw away the sock with each use. Wasteful, yes, but I couldn't bear to scrape the oatmeal out of it. It might be cheaper to use cheesecloth squares.

Aveeno makes an oatmeal bath you can buy at Walgreens or CVS...maybe Walmart, too, but we get discounts at CVS so I tend to shop there.

Then you don't have to throw away socks, lol! :D

Ds had chicken pox when he was about three and this helped so very much! My dd's haven't been (and won't be) vaccinated for chicken pox, so we will probably have to deal with it someday!

My oldest has them now. She was vx'd, but youngest wasn't. Her case isn't that bad and dr believes that she is not contagious. Her pox aren't oozy and she has not had a fever or runny eyes/nose. That is how they are passed according to dr. I hope she's right, b/c I have not made any changes based on her advice. :tongue_smilie:

Our chx pox wasn't helped with Oatmeal baths... made it worse. Keep em oiled up while they have anything like a scab.... it makes it so it feels better... and then it helps them not scar... too....

:)

(I made a "witches brew" of every healing oil that I could think of...)

Edited by NayfiesMama
I used Neem.... I think that was a really good one :)

I found that twice daily baths were indispensable for keeping the affected child comfortable. I put about a cup of uncooked oatmeal in a white tube sock and tied it shut. The child was allowed to play in the bath, squeezing the oatmeal sock under the running water to infuse the bath, and rubbing the sock on his/her body. The water gets kind of cloudy. We'd finish with a quick rinse under the shower, towel dry, and immediately apply caladryl or calamine lotion to each and every pox (I found that 2 Q-tips dipped in the medicine worked better than a cotton ball).

I threw away the sock with each use. Wasteful, yes, but I couldn't bear to scrape the oatmeal out of it. It might be cheaper to use cheesecloth squares.

good ideas!

Send some oozy pus our way! We aren't vax'd, and would love the kids to get it while they are younger...

I know, right? Well, I brought her to the Dr (just to check) and it's such a slight case that it may not pass to the others and she may end up getting it again. Hopefully not, but time will tell.

Make sure you keep her away from anyone pregnant! My six kids all got the chicken pox at the same time and gave it to my bf who was pregnant - she and all five of her children. She had to have several tests to make sure it did not cause birth defects in her baby.

of the virus. Dd (middle child) got them first, gave them to eldest child (9) who had a *horrible* case and then passsed them to my youngest child (a toddler) who had a pretty rousing case, but not a *miserable* case, like eldest child's.

We tried every home remedy known to mankind, including the oatmeal baths, but the only thing that would even begin to calm the itchies was to make a "camomile tea" bath. I'd thoroughly steep about 6 cups of water with one cup of camomile buds, then strain with cheescloth and pour the liquid into a small tepid bath. Child would soak, then rinse off with as little clean water as possible. This was a practical miracle, the only way the eldest could get any rest. He lived for about two weeks with a routine of wake up itchy, eat while itching, get him a bath ready, soak for an hour, feel pretty good for two-three hours, crash, sleep for five or six hours, then wake up itchy again. The first few days were h*ll until someone in LLL told me about camomile. Fortunately we had a New Agey "herbs and crystals store" :) that carried the camomile by the gallon ziploc bag -- about $15/bag I think. I think we went through two bags, but we lived to tell.

I took pictures of poor son, while he gave me the most baleful, piteous look you could imagine, otherwise no one would believe they were that bad.

Hope your family comes through this well. :grouphug:

Really? I thought they were contagious before any of that showed up.

[sigh] I don't know. I showed dr dd, and she is only 90% sure it is chkn pox. She said the case was mild and since dd didn't have the other symptoms [which apparently how they are passed before the pox show up that she wasn't] What do I know though. My only experience was myself at age 5 or 6. So far [2 weeks later] no one else has showed any symptoms. All were vax'd except for the youngest. Doc doesn't even think the youngest will get them. She told me not to worry. We have gone on with life as usual. Dd still has spots but they seem to be healing. Who knows. :confused: