Menu

Writing Adventures (Create-a-Story game and more)

Cross-posted from the curriculum board but included more info here.

Has anyone used the Create-A-Story game or other Writing Adventure products? I've read some positive comments about it, but it's pretty expensive, so I'm looking for more feedback.

Here is the website: http://www.createpress.com/pages/product.htm

Here is what Winsor Learning (who developed the Sonday System, an OG reading/spelling curriculum) says about Writing Adventures:

Writing Adventures

Writing Adventures is an ideal complement to the Sonday System 1 and Sonday System 2 Learning to Read Programs. The Sonday System 1 & 2 teach reading and spelling together; while Writing Adventures allows students to apply this knowledge to the writing process. Some of the overlapping activities incorporated form the Sonday System programs are: word lists, sentences, Reading Strips and Window®, and Read Aloud sections. Using these programs together allows students to work to their level of mastery for reading and writing in order to maximize comprehension.

Writing Adventures makes the writing process logical, memorable and fun, while helping students visualize, conceptualize, store, and retrieve concepts and events with ease. The program begins at the most basic level and systematically builds in linguistic complexity. Writing Adventures also emphasizes the structure and organization of paragraphs, narratives, and four types of expository essays –compare/contrast, persuasive, informational, and operational. Mastery and fluency in written expression are the primary goals of the Writing Adventures program. Lessons are delivered in small, highly structured units, build upon previously learned material, and provide plenty of opportunity for practice. Each lesson follows a four-step learning process: identify, construct, write, and apply.

Identify – Student identifies the grammatical components of sentences or paragraphs.

Construct – Student constructs sentences given sentence parts.

Write – Student is asked to write sentences using newly learned material. Stimulus is provided.

Apply – Student applies newly learned material to journal writing. Stimulus is provided.

Lessons can be delivered to an entire class, a small group, or one-to-one.

Thanks!

That looks really cool. I think my Aspie might like that.

Sorry, I don't have any experience with it, but I am curious now too.

Dawn

Cross-posted from the curriculum board but included more info here.

Has anyone used the Create-A-Story game or other Writing Adventure products? I've read some positive comments about it, but it's pretty expensive, so I'm looking for more feedback.

Here is the website: http://www.createpress.com/pages/product.htm

Here is what Winsor Learning (who developed the Sonday System, an OG reading/spelling curriculum) says about Writing Adventures:

Thanks!