Menu

Scheduling High Schoolers...

How many of you actually schedule out their assignments daily? I know most of you do a weekly schedule; "This is what you have to do for the week and it's up to you do it", but this isn't working for dd. I am going to have to schedule her work for her daily and spell it out. I don't really mind doing this, for right now, but I was just wondering if any other parents of high schoolers did the same thing.

My senior hasn't had a schedule since 9th grade. She's completely independent, only an occasional reminder here and there.

My 8th and 9th graders still need a daily schedule. My goal is to have them independent by 11th grade. We'll see how that goes. They don't have the inner drive that older sister has...at least not yet.

Although I do have weekly goals, my 8th grader must write down what he does each day on his planner. So I go in and check with him 2 or 3 times a day.. "Let me see your planner..oh you haven't done anything today??" "No, I have. I've watched my math lesson, but I haven't done the assignment yet." Ok, write that down. "I've read the Hitler book for history." "OK, now what are you supposed to do for writing?' "Well, the outline isn't due until Wednesday. " "Do you know what you are going to write about? You should probably at least pick your topic today and start on the outline." "ok" Then I leave.

Later in the day, "May I see your planner?" Here it is mom. "MM can't read this, what does this say under science? " "I did half of my study guide. " "Great" " Looks like you still have Spanish, Career and clarinet left. That shouldn't take too long.. How is your Gatsby project coming?" "I'm going to write a movie review after we watch it tomorrow." "Ok."

Later in the day," I'm done, mom." "May I see your planner?" Did you ever do your math problems?? " OOPs, no I forgot. " "Ok, look at your planner anything else you left off? Oh, yeah career..

And another day of training ends.

Christine

I feel like having him give me input on the daily schedule is helping him learn how to do it on his own eventually.

He has the daily schedule, but he has to manage his own time with that daily schedule. I don't get on him if he doesn't get something done one day. He just knows that the weeks work must be done by Sat. morning or he'll have to do school on Sat.

Honestly, learning to schedule your time is a skill like any other skill. Some of us take longer to master this skill than others. I figure I've got this kiddo for 4 years of highschool and I'll hold his hand as long as needed on things like this, while *gently and slowly* giving the reigns to him as I feel he is ready. So far, he's progressing with this skill at a nice and steady pace. He'll be fine with it in a couple of years when he's in college.

Ours are scheduled out, because I teach and/or we have discussions or experiments scheduled most days. So they have to be at certain points by certain days of the week. They have a planner I created (with the help of Kinko's,) and they keep it on the table all day. When I teach, I give them an assignment for the next few days or the next week, and they fill it into the blocks in the planner right then. For classes I teach with other students, they bring their planner, and I usually give day by day assignments in order to help the other students plan.

But we discuss it. He has a planner to keep all his "when to be where" appointments and all of the due dates for assignments, but we discuss how long things might take and the benefits of starting early..... He's had a couple episodes of "learning the hard way" and occasionally when things get a little too intense (or he's teetering on the verge of falling behind) we'll sit down with his list and prioritize together.

But for the most part he keeps track. I check in a lot, and I sit down to compare calendars every week or so, but he keeps his own list and decides when to do what.

I create my dd's schedule for the week. We discussed at the beginning of this year (her junior year) how she wanted to work this out. She was more comfortable with a schedule like she had last year when we were working with MFW AH&L. So I create it and we go over it. Some things are "must get done's," others are more flexible.

I write out my 9th grader's daily schedule. I am very organized, he is not. We discussed my writing out a weekly schedule, but we both prefer the daily.

Generally, he is fairly good about getting up and getting most of it done. I check over work daily and make sure that all is completed thoroughly (very often something is not done completely). On rare occasions, ds will even start work the night before.

One of the many reasons I love MFW-it has the schedule all written out to the student and my dd just opens up the schedule and does as it is all laid out-I can look from time to time to confirm she is on track --I meet w/ her on Fridays(which is worked in their schedule) and discuss what she did and review her work then

Although I do have weekly goals, my 8th grader must write down what he does each day on his planner. So I go in and check with him 2 or 3 times a day.. "Let me see your planner..oh you haven't done anything today??" "No, I have. I've watched my math lesson, but I haven't done the assignment yet." Ok, write that down. "I've read the Hitler book for history." "OK, now what are you supposed to do for writing?' "Well, the outline isn't due until Wednesday. " "Do you know what you are going to write about? You should probably at least pick your topic today and start on the outline." "ok" Then I leave.

And another day of training ends.

Christine

Thank you, this is such a lightbulb moment for me. I print a weekly schedule for ds and this year I purchased him a planner. I've been trying to figure out how he can better utilize the planner and still use the printed assignment sheet. Perfect, I'll have him write down the subjects he has completed. It's so simple, yet I never thought of it. I'm practically giddy, thank you!

We have a large white board that the kids write their assignments on. When an assignment is done they do two things: write it down in their planners, and erase the assignment from the white board. They take a social studies/English class twice weekly, and both of them have to write their new assignments on the white board immediately upon arrival home. The planner is required by their ISP, the white board is required by me. I like the white board because I can see at all times what still needs to be done, and help them plan their time accordingly, if necessary.

I input most of my plans in HSTP over the summer, I move them to the assignment gird on Fri. or whenever I remember, lol. I print off a weekly assignment calendar and work from that for the week, at the end of the week I go into tracker and mark attendance and what was accomplished. What ever didn't get done I reschedule to the next week and then print out new weekly calendars.

I started with, "here it is, get it done." Didn't work.

We added writing out a daily planner. Didn't work.

Now, I actually time his class times and have him write down homework in his planner. If I don't stay on the timer, he won't get his work done.

We also must have meetings every afternoon so I can go over what he has worked independently. Not for understanding b/c he gets all of his work, he just will slack if I'm not on him.

*I* hope this will change and he is only 15, so I my hope is bright!

On the other hand, my 8th grader is kind of in between the 15 yo and their 12 yo sister, who gets it done and needs no participation by me (I do some teaching, of course). The 13 yo, 8th grader, needs occasional nudges, but will get his work done weekly, not necessarily on a daily basis. I added him to the timer schedule though, so I can drill some time management into him!

I have also added a daily follow up hour to our afternoons where we go through drill practice for a variety of subjects. I'm having them "teach me" and go through their notes. I've found they may skip out drilling time if I don't follow through on this.

Oh, in my imaginary land, none of this would be necessary, but alas...I am forced to live in the real world! :D :tongue_smilie:

We use Homeschool Tracker Plus and I transfer the lesson plans into the assignment grid once a week. I tried printing them out one per week per dd, but they both said it was too overwhelming. :001_huh: So I print them out daily.

I prefer the daily task list as well, but my kids asked to go back to the assignment calendar, IF things keep going the way they are we will be moving back to the daily because i'm noticing that more often than not, my 9th grader skips his lit. reading.

Yes, I have HST+ too, and was doing weekly lists, but of course it wasn't getting done and then dd was getting frustrated and I was getting frustrated and it was a vicious cycle...

She's only 16, just turned 16, but a junior and I guess I freak out that by doing daily lists for her, I am not helping her manage her time, therefore preparing her for college and she really has time management/balancing issues. I lose sight of the big picture, which is to help her develop these skills, really easy and I guess I just needed to know that other families do it too.

I'll just do the daily lists and have her write out what she actually does in her journal and help her work towards more independence for next year.

Thanks everyone.

I'll just do the daily lists and have her write out what she actually does in her journal and help her work towards more independence for next year.

Thanks everyone.

:iagree: this is what i'm going to have to do for my 14 yo., did you also find that your DD left all of her harder work for the afternoon, lol. My ds did that, I now go through his work with him and help him split it up more evenly.

:iagree: this is what i'm going to have to do for my 14 yo., did you also find that your DD left all of her harder work for the afternoon, lol. My ds did that, I now go through his work with him and help him split it up more evenly.

Yes, or she just wouldn't do it. :banghead: So now I have her do her reading first thing (or second) and check it daily...

I wrote assignments out for ds on the white board, and he just erased it as he went.

Then I started writing some subjects day by day on paper, and some on the white board.

At the end of our time together, ds had almost complete independence, but it wasn't ideal. He felt he never saw me (I was never home), we didn't get to discuss stuff, and he wasn't getting the interaction he needed.

This is what my dd's schedule for this week looks like.

Math - Kinetic Books Algebra II

M:45 min Tu:45 min W:45 min Th:45 min F:45 min

World History - lesson 9 this week

9.1 9.2 9.3 9.4 questions project reading journal

English - lesson 9 this week

outline draft essay

Physics (I teach a physics class for 1.5 hours each on Tuesday and Thursday mornings)

M:read 8.5-8.8 Tu:do ch 8 #27,33,43,45,53 W:read 9.1-9.4 Th:do ch 9 #5,7,9,11,15,19 F:read 10.1-10.3

Visual Link Spanish - do 30 minutes, 5x/week

30 min 30 min 30 min 30 min 30 min

piano - do 20 minutes daily and we will do a 20 minute lesson on Saturday

20 min 20 min 20 min 20 min 20 min 20 min

physical activity - mark it off as you do it, 10 minutes at a time

10 10 10 10 10 10

10 10 10 10 10 10

10 10 10 10 10 10

10 10 10 10 10 10