Menu

My 18 year old called me this week to announce that she is getting married . . .

next week! She has known this boy for less than 3 months. She has never even had a boyfriend. Of course, I am scared to death and worried for her but she says she they are in love and she is happy so what more could a mother ask for? Her father and I knew each other for about three months before marriage as did his parents and we are both still married 20 some odd years later so it is really hard to contest on those grounds. Apparently, they are going to the JP next week (as did my hubby & I) and then have a formal wedding next year on their one year anniversary. So this will make for my second SIL. The oldest three will be married with the fourth already betrothed. I have two grandchildren now and I suspect it will be not too long before the third is on it's way (this child has wanted a child for as long as I can remember). I guess congratulations are in order. :001_smile:

next week! She has known this boy for less than 3 months. She has never even had a boyfriend. Of course, I am scared to death and worried for her but she says she they are in love and she is happy so what more could a mother ask for? Her father and I knew each other for about three months before marriage as did his parents and we are both still married 20 some odd years later so it is really hard to contest on those grounds. Apparently, they are going to the JP next week (as did my hubby & I) and then have a formal wedding next year on their one year anniversary. So this will make for my second SIL. The oldest three will be married with the fourth already betrothed. I have two grandchildren now and I suspect it will be not too long before the third is on it's way (this child has wanted a child for as long as I can remember). I guess congratulations are in order. :001_smile:

Congratulations! What more can you ask for than a happy child?

Have you met the guy?

Yes, I have. He works with my current SIL and has for quite awhile. My dd also works there so they have spent lots of time together. Of course, I don't know him well but he is a Chirstian, is very polite and respectful and appears to have been raised well. As far as I can tell, there are no family problems and he and my dd have already secured jobs, cars, a house, appliances, furniture and a dog and a two cats ( all paid for in cash). They both appear to be happy, healthy and safe. The family is quite surprised but I a sure they will come around in time. I wasn't exactly welcomed with open arms either but we are surrounded with love and support now. I wish and hope for the best for them.

Congrats! I married dh at 19. My dad actually bet us it wouldn't last 4 years. He said he would kiss my dh's a$$ (direct quote) if it lasted that long. I have a picture of the a$$-kissing ceremony;). 10 1/2 years later, we are still going strong! May they live a long, happy life together.

I knew my dh for 8 months before we got married, but we only waited that long because I had to wait to turn 18 ;)! Looking back, I was so head-over-heels that I could have easily made a big mistake in getting married at that point, but I believe God was guiding me, and choosing to spend my life with dh was the best decision I ever could have made.

I sincerely hope for the same blessed union for your dc.

Congratulations!

Dh and I waited to get married until 8 months after we met, but we knew withing the first 2 or 3 months. The rest was just a technicality. Our 10th anniversary was last week. :D

Of course, I do worry that I'll freak if any of my kids decide to go that route. I know it wouldn't be fair or right or good, so I just pretend that I'll never have to find out how I'd react. ;)

Love is amazing!

Yes, I have. He works with my current SIL and has for quite awhile. My dd also works there so they have spent lots of time together. Of course, I don't know him well but he is a Chirstian, is very polite and respectful and appears to have been raised well. As far as I can tell, there are no family problems and he and my dd have already secured jobs, cars, a house, appliances, furniture and a dog and a two cats ( all paid for in cash). They both appear to be happy, healthy and safe. The family is quite surprised but I a sure they will come around in time. I wasn't exactly welcomed with open arms either but we are surrounded with love and support now. I wish and hope for the best for them.

Congratulations to the happy couple! It sounds like they are wise, stable, and responsible. My husband and I dated since high school, but we did what we then thought was the "responsible" thing and waited until after college to marry. Looking back, I regret not following our hearts and getting married earlier.

Sounds like they're both in a great place, so here's to the happy couple! I'm another 18-yo who got married to a guy I barely knew. We'd known each other three months to the day when we tied the knot. He was 21, had no job, no car, no money, was living with his mom and stepdad, and - oh, yeah - didn't have a green card. I was his immigration ticket. My parents about died... or killed me. I'm not entirely sure which was closer to the truth. Either way, we've been married 10 years now, and he's a US citizen, so I think he's redeemed himself. My dad now takes him hunting and hasn't shot him yet, so that's a good sign, I think :D

Again, congratulations!!

Could be worse! Praying for the best.

I wish them a happy long life together.

DH and I spent 21 days in each other's company before we got married. We met online and lived far away from each other, only got to see each other 21 days during the 9 month courtship. 14 years later..just as happy :)

Congratulations! I was married at 19 and I know people thought it would never last. It hasn't always been easy, but what marriage is. We have been married 16 years and are happier than ever. Sometimes the right one just comes along. We also had tremendous support from both our parents and that helped us stay together through tough times.

Lesley

I started dating my dh when I was 18, and he was 19. We were in college so we didn't marry until we were graduated; however, we knew we would within 6 months of being together. It sounds so young, but I guess sometimes you just know. After 13 years, and some very tough times together, we are still going strong!

Congratulations!!!!

My dh and I married (after 9 months) 8 years ago. When we got married, we ran off together (eloped?) and had a wedding in a small chapel ALONE. We didn't invite a soul. The plan was to have a wedding 6 months later. We couldn't, though. 6 mos later, I was 6 months pregnant with ds (now ds7)! :)

My point...don't hold your breath for that wedding in a year..... LOL

Congratulations!