Menu

17 years ago, today, I became a mom.

My oldest baby turned 17 today. What a long strange trip its been, so far. He taught me how to be a mom. I tried all my newfangled parenting philosophies on him and he was game. From the day we brought him home, he was an animated little guy - all 10 lbs. 11 oz. of him :willy_nilly:. Always curious about the world. I learned to fall in love with milky smiles, even if they were at two in the morning. I learned to see the world anew from the eyes of a precocious toddler and preschooler. How did I miss all that the first time around? I learned the names of about a hundred dinosaurs and learned Latin and Greek prefixes, whether I wanted to or not. I learned that I have limits to my patience for dinosaur talk before 8 am. I learned that the shame and fear of bullying I experienced was nothing compared to the hurt I felt for him when he experienced the same thing. I experienced doubt like I've never known - am I a good-enough mother? Do I hold the blame for everything that isn't perfect? I learned to accept that my dreams for this child were just that, MY dreams - that I had to let go and let him find his own path. I am still struggling with that one ;).

He is such a fine young man, even if he is being dragged kicking and screaming into young adulthood (he seems perfectly content to have Mom and Dad make decisions for him.) Kind, loving, trustworthy. My other kids couldn't have asked for a better big brother. What 17 year old instinctively takes hold of his little sister's hand as they cross the street? At times, he makes my heart melt.

Today, dd made his favorite egg dish. Ds did his kitchen chores. I took him to the bank to open a checking account. We are having a quiet dinner here at home before he runs off to scouts and then Karate, where they all do birthday push-ups for him!

My oldest baby turned 17 today. What a long strange trip its been, so far. He taught me how to be a mom. I tried all my newfangled parenting philosophies on him and he was game. From the day we brought him home, he was an animated little guy - all 10 lbs. 11 oz. of him :willy_nilly:. Always curious about the world. I learned to fall in love with milky smiles, even if they were at two in the morning. I learned to see the world anew from the eyes of a precocious toddler and preschooler. How did I miss all that the first time around? I learned the names of about a hundred dinosaurs and learned Latin and Greek prefixes, whether I wanted to or not. I learned that I have limits to my patience for dinosaur talk before 8 am. I learned that the shame and fear of bullying I experienced was nothing compared to the hurt I felt for him when he experienced the same thing. I experienced doubt like I've never known - am I a good-enough mother? Do I hold the blame for everything that isn't perfect? I learned to accept that my dreams for this child were just that, MY dreams - that I had to let go and let him find his own path. I am still struggling with that one ;).

He is such a fine young man, even if he is being dragged kicking and screaming into young adulthood (he seems perfectly content to have Mom and Dad make decisions for him.) Kind, loving, trustworthy. My other kids couldn't have asked for a better big brother. What 17 year old instinctively takes hold of his little sister's hand as they cross the street? At times, he makes my heart melt.

Today, dd made his favorite egg dish. Ds did his kitchen chores. I took him to the bank to open a checking account. We are having a quiet dinner here at home before he runs off to scouts and then Karate, where they all do birthday push-ups for him!

Oh, that made me teary! Happy Birthday to BOTH of you!

Guest neenbean

I am NEW obviously to this blog, but before I go any further- someone PLEASE tell me what all these "tags" (don't even think I am calling them the right thing) are at the end when you guys sign off- the stuff after your kids names etc. allllllll the letters

What gives. I only have two children 3 and 9 months, but I don't want to feel left out!! :glare:

Awww, that was so sweet :001_wub: Sounds to me like he's got a pretty great mama too. I have one that will be 17 on Jan 17th. I know all about that amazing heart melt. It's nice to know we're raising some good men to go out into the world. Congratulations to you, and Happy Birthday to him :party:

I am NEW obviously to this blog, but before I go any further- someone PLEASE tell me what all these "tags" (don't even think I am calling them the right thing) are at the end when you guys sign off- the stuff after your kids names etc. allllllll the letters

What gives. I only have two children 3 and 9 months, but I don't want to feel left out!! :glare:

Those are "signatures" and you can set yours up in User Control Panel (CP). Oh, and welcome!!

Happy Birthday to both of you. That was a beautiful tribute.

Give me a sec and I'll PM you so as not to hijack the thread. Check the Private message link in the blue box to the upper right of your screen in just a little bit.