Menu

South Beach Dieters, did you *really* lose 8-13 lbs on Phase 1?

I'm just wondering if that is realistic, even if you follow the diet guidelines strictly and don't cheat. Dh & I started the South Beach Diet, Phase 1 on Sunday. So far, so good. Both of us are adhering strictly to the guidelines, and I'm just wondering if I can really expect to lose 8-13 lbs. in just two weeks, as promised in The South Beach Diet. Sure would be nice... ;)

I'm just wondering if that is realistic, even if you follow the diet guidelines strictly and don't cheat. Dh & I started the South Beach Diet, Phase 1 on Sunday. So far, so good. Both of us are adhering strictly to the guidelines, and I'm just wondering if I can really expect to lose 8-13 lbs. in just two weeks. Sure would be nice... ;)

Yes, but I felt awful and had to stop. The weight came back quickly.

My brother's wife and her sister do an annual South Beach run right before the fall/winter holidays. She always says she loses about 10lbs, and/or one clothing size during the first phase. My brother isn't a fan of her diet, but (as a doctor) says it's one of the better options available as far as dieting goes.

He says it'd be better if his wife would make the long-term changes rather than rely on it as a yearly diet so she can indulge over the holidays LOL. She's usually back to the same "fat" clothes by the time Lent rolls around (Feb/Mar).

Good luck to you on your weight loss journey!

Yes, and I've lost 30 pounds since last March. My husband has also lost a ton and he's not even that good about it. He basically does the diet when he's at home but not when out. But yes, it has to be a lifestyle. We also now run 3 miles 3-4 times a week, and we seriously avoid eating sugar. BUT- we do eat the fake sugar stuff that's available in the diet aisle from time to time. I know it's not good to eat that kind of stuff but I figure it's better to cave into one of those than to cave into sugar and fall off the wagon completely.

I lost 6 pounds in the 11 days I managed to do phase 1 and felt terrific with the exception of the psychological misery of massive sugar withdrawal. That's definitely the way I should be eating all the time (although I would include a few good carbs and more veggies). And I wasn't even that strict about the fats I ate--I ate a lot of avocados and olive oil because I was eating so much salad. The difference in how my body looked and the way my clothes fit was dramatic. I really need to get back to it. Good luck!

Yes' date=' and I've lost 30 pounds since last March. My husband has also lost a ton and he's not even that good about it. He basically does the diet when he's at home but not when out. But yes, it has to be a lifestyle. We also now run 3 miles 3-4 times a week, and we seriously avoid eating sugar. BUT- we do eat the fake sugar stuff that's available in the diet aisle from time to time. I know it's not good to eat that kind of stuff but I figure it's better to cave into one of those than to cave into sugar and fall off the wagon completely.[/quote']

Yeah, I really think that fake sugar stuff is poison, but I will say that it got me over the hump once or twice when I was very near to breaking down altogether. Fortunately, I have some ugly side effects from one of the fake sugars (aspartame, I think) that kept it from being too appealing to me long-term.