Menu

need costume ideas utilizing a black cloak

And I do NOT want to be something out of harry potter :)

I left my costume to the last minute. I have a black cloak (velvet or plain, it's reversible) I can wear....any ideas other than an ugly witch?

Or another easy idea I can do that doesn't draw attention to the fact I'm still many pounds away from a good weight?

I know it's shallow, but my husband's ex girlfriend and her husband are coming over for Halloween. I've never met them, and she has recently lost a ton of weight and looks great. I've gained quite a bit , mostly pregnancy weight that didn't come off, and don't feel very good about myself. I've lost 5 pounds recently, but still feel VERY frumpy.

Oh and any costume needs to allow for easy nursing access, as my 8 month old nurses a LOT. The cloak is easy to nurse in, so that was one thing going for it.

thanks!

A vampire? A beautiful witch?

Martha Stewart's site has quite a few good ideas, maybe something will inspire you?

http://www.marthastewart.com/photogallery/homemade-kids-halloween-costumes

I LOVED her black cat costume -- you know, OP, like a sexy CatWoman costume. Put a big satin ribbon on the top of the cape and tie it in a great bow. Black turtleneck, black leggings or blackpants or floor length black skirt. You can put filler into a cut up pair of pantyhose (you only need one leg) for a tail -- you can pick up cat's ears in any party store - and Martha's face makeup is easy enough to copy for the 'cat' look.

Edited by MariannNOVA

Katie -- I am not just saying this (b/c trust me, I am not one who hands out compliments) but, sweetie, you are SO pretty! With your haircolor and a black costume (let's just say you go with the cat idea) and the coppery colored cat face make up -- you will be beautiful.

And truly, with your coloring and your face, you are going to look great no matter what --

honey, you are worrying about nothing! Trust me! You are going to look wonderful whatever you decide. And, stop worrying about the weight -- I'm not seeing where the problem is.:)

Yup - line or cover one side of the cape with purple satin or red satin, make an ermine collar, and with a crown and sceptor, you can be the queen. Long skirt under the cape. Works for me.

I love this!!!!! Perfect! Thank you guys so much for helping me think outside the box a bit!!! What could give a girl more confidence than wearing a crown :)

With your coloring you could use your long cape as an Irish cloak and go with something like this ( http://www.hartsfabric.com/kinsalecloak.html ) with a basic peasant type dress underneath. Those peasant blouses are so cute! And you could cover up your charms or expose a bit more cleavage, as you please.

Nursing might be a bit tough, but if your dress bodice unbuttoned, it shouldn't be too hard to just lift the bottom of the peasant blouse to let the baby in and then tuck it back down, button up, and you're back to the party.

You could mimic Irish soft dance shoes by using a pair of black ballet slippers and then cross crossing a black ribbon around the instep and up the ankle a bit. A beautiful Celtic cross necklace and possibly a becoming cap and some lovely curls framing your face and the ex would be only a distant memory!

Or if the Irish thing doesn't work for you, consider a Renaissance look with fancy headgear, interesting broaches and jewels, and a cool hairstyle. That could incorporate your cloak also.

Katie -- I am not just saying this (b/c trust me, I am not one who hands out compliments) but, sweetie, you are SO pretty! With your haircolor and a black costume (let's just say you go with the cat idea) and the coppery colored cat face make up -- you will be beautiful.

And truly, with your coloring and your face, you are going to look great no matter what --

honey, you are worrying about nothing! Trust me! You are going to look wonderful whatever you decide. And, stop worrying about the weight -- I'm not seeing where the problem is.:)

:iagree:

I was going to say the same thing, but Mariann beat me to it. Your DH chose you, not the ex, and I'm sure he'll be very proud to show off his beautiful wife and baby girl. You're the queen of his castle — dress like it, act like, feel like it. ;)

Jackie

:iagree:

I was going to say the same thing, but Mariann beat me to it. Your DH chose you, not the ex, and I'm sure he'll be very proud to show off his beautiful wife and baby girl. You're the queen of his castle — dress like it, act like, feel like it. ;)

Jackie

:iagree::iagree:As I said, BE the Queen, You ARE the Queen.smiley_notworthy.gifqueen2.gif

And, this is your DH:

kingdancesmileyf.gif

Ok, I was gonna suggest the Dread Pirate Roberts, until I saw your pic. Be a queen. How about mixing Irish and queen? That was you wear the cool jewlry and a crown.

Of course I really have no clue about these things so take this all with a grain or two. :tongue_smilie:

My sister and I have ALWAYS told our dds (who are now all older) to dress up as the 'glamourous' character - makeup, jewelry -- always dress up so that you are emphasizing your attributes and showing up looking beautiful.

And, wouldn't she make a beautiful Irish/English queen with that coloring?!:)