Menu

Wedding rehearsal dinners

My husbands brother is getting married on Saturday. My husband is not in the wedding, but assumes we are expected to attend the rehearsal dinner on Friday night.

My FIL is paying for it, and my husband assumes that since his father is paying, we are automatically invited. Our family is scattered and every time we are all together, FIL always pays for a big dinner out. He also pays for vacations and other big things and he loves to have all three of his boys together for family events. I think my husband sees this as one of those times when his dad wants everyone together.

I am trying to stay out of it, but fear embarrassing myself and my family by doing the wrong thing. The way I see it these are my options-

1. showing up where we aren't wanted because my husband made assumptions

2. asking my FIL if we should come, and then putting him on the spot. I mean he's not going to tell my husband not to come

3. Putting my foot down and telling my husband that we are not going because we are not in the wedding party, then having everyone think I'm mean and controlling because they assumed we were going to be there.

I won't even mention the fact that my mil and fil are divorced and remarried to other people and my MIL holds major grudges and has turned my husbands brothers away from their father. My husband is the only one who can stand to be around my FIL....sigh...and FIL has inherited his mothers controlling nature. They think they know what everyone wants and they make plans for the entire family thinking they are all doing us favors when really we'd rather do the opposite....sigh.. oh wait...maybe I just did mention it.

Raise your hand if family weddings make you crazy!

Have your husband call and ask if you're expected. You can always say you have something else going on if Dad balks. I'd be mortified to show up somewhere I wasn't invited!

Well that's part of the problem. My FIL and my dh are very very close. They are much closer than my FIL is with my dh's brothers. He will not balk. Sigh... actually he probably wants us there, but I wonder if the brides family will wonder why we are there. Of course, FIL is paying...ugh.

I did read some etiquette sites that say out of town guests and siblings are usually invited...and we are both, so maybe it's not such a big deal.

Well that's part of the problem. My FIL and my dh are very very close. They are much closer than my FIL is with my dh's brothers. He will not balk. Sigh... actually he probably wants us there, but I wonder if the brides family will wonder why we are there. Of course, FIL is paying...ugh.

I did read some etiquette sites that say out of town guests and siblings are usually invited...and we are both, so maybe it's not such a big deal.

Every rehearsal dinner I've been to has always included all the siblings of the bride/groom even if they weren't in the actual wedding party. Better not to assume though

I'm like your husband; just assuming you're invited based on relationship (and also FIL's past actions).

How awkward, for you, though. Hmm. It sounds like you know the time and place of the dinner -- are you sure you weren't informally invited by virtue of being privy to that information?

I like Jennifer in MI's solution: have the brothers talk. Honestly, I'd be hurt if my sibling didn't show up and wrong as it is -- I'd probably think to myself it was the fault of the "spouse" who cared enough about protocol to not show up without a formal invite, but not enough about family to just ask the embarassing question. My family is casual, though. It's always assumed family is invited. Your situation gave me pause to think about this sort of thing in the future; we have people who married in and are never quite sure what is going on. I'll know now to be clearer when I'm hosting something.

Please ask. The awkwardness will not last nearly as long as the memories will, if #3 ends up happening. And even if #2 proves true, it doesn't sound like your FIL is the type who will forever refer to you as the "party crasher who put him on the spot" -- sounds like he'd be more than happy to include you in the family's celebration, bridal party or otherwise.

Every out-of-town wedding I've ever been to has included people coming from afar in the rehearsal dinner. We did for our wedding as well, but we specifically told people we expected them.

Edited by Mejane

Yes, it is awkward for me. I'm not related to ANY of these people, lol! We dont' live near them. I don't know them. I'm not comfortable breaking the rules of etiquette with these people. Yes, they are my in laws but they are pretty much strangers to me. I see them once a year.

Not to mention the fact that we are also dealing with the brides family, whom my husband and I have never met. What will they think of us.

Of course we live 5 hours away from brides family and I probably shouldn't care.

But this is all about the bride and groom. Just because FIL is paying, that doesn't mean he gets to make the guest list.

DH and his brother are not close. His brother is 7 years younger than him and dh moved out when he was 18. So the last time they lived together his brother was only 11.

I just want to stay home. I hate being around my mil and fil at the same time. They hate each other. they even argued while walking down the aisle at my wedding. People heard them muttering under their breath. They got divorced a few years later.

Every out-of-town wedding I've ever been to has included people coming from afar in the rehearsal dinner. We did for our wedding as well, but we specifically told people we expected them.

We were told when and where, but it was my FIL who told my dh. My husband and his brothers don't talk much. The age difference and difference of interest, and distance just allowed them to drift apart and they aren't friends. I don't think there are hard feelings, but they just don't talk often.

Ooh that might work! I could blame it on the kids' colds. I could say I want them to rest because they will be required to be up late the next night for the 6pm wedding. Yes. This might work, but I'll have to be careful not to look like the meanie.

I don't know why I'm letting this bother me so much. When we got married, we didn't live near any of our friends and family. ALL of our wedding guests came to our house for BBQ after the rehearsal because I didn't want them all just sitting around their hotel rooms being bored. We had a great time and I even made some new friends that night.

I don't know why I'm letting this bother me so much. When we got married, we didn't live near any of our friends and family. ALL of our wedding guests came to our house for BBQ after the rehearsal because I didn't want them all just sitting around their hotel rooms being bored. We had a great time and I even made some new friends that night.

The rehearsal dinner can be an ice-breaker for the wedding. You might enjoy yourself more if you already know people.

How's that for mixed messages? :D

Well now I'm confused.

I wonder if I could beg dh to call his father and ask him to casually mention it to his brother, saying somethign like "hey, do you want me to invite Mike to the rehearsal dinner?" Dh and FIL are close enough that FIL can easily relay this message to DH without fearing hurt feelings. They are kind of brutally honest with each other, I think.

Another vote for dh calling his brother!

Around here, all of out-of-town guests and family are invited to the rehearsal dinner.

I'd go and socialize with dh's brothers & family - it's an opportunity to get to know them better. But certainly don't stress too much about this - remember, you only see them once a year!! :D

Anne

I can't imagine a rehearsal dinner where siblings or out of town guests were excluded, so I'd assume I was invited. I'd expect a written invite but not all families do it that way. Since you're in doubt, call someone. I love rehearsal dinners, they tend to be more laid back than the main event :)