Menu

Help - Looking for the doll like American Girl

I read a post a long time ago on another board about a doll that was of close to same quality as American Girl w/a price tag a little less .. Does anyone know what it is?

Last year we got our dd Our Generation doll from Target & she really isnt fairing too well. I would really like for Santa to bring her a nicer quality doll this year?!?!

Thanks Gals!!!!!

We have an Our Generation and an American Girl in our house. There really is a big difference in quality.

I don't know if this is the one you were talking about, but I did just get this catalog in the mail with some look alikes. They are around $75 as opposed to the $95 for A.G. http://www.visionforum.com/browse/productlist/?cid=495

I don't know about the quality. We dont have one.

We have an Our Generation and an American Girl in our house. There really is a big difference in quality.

I don't know if this is the one you were talking about, but I did just get this catalog in the mail with some look alikes. They are around $75 as opposed to the $95 for A.G. http://www.visionforum.com/browse/productlist/?cid=495

That was one that I had looked at in the past .. Thanks!

Götz made the original AG dolls for the Pleasant Company. They still make a doll the size of the AG dolls. They sell them in the "nice" toy stores. Very, very nice quality, perhaps even better than AG (Götz dolls have rooted hair rather than glued wigs, for example). Here's a link to a place online that sells them - if you search for "Gotz doll 18" you'll find lots more. It looks like that line is called the "Precious Day" dolls.

I also really like the Götz Maxy Muffin dolls that are the same size as the AG Bitty Babies/Bitty Twins.

Disclaimer: For the 18 inch dolls, we have 7 actual AG dolls, all but one historical - the stories behind them sold us. In the smaller size, however, the Maxy Muffins outnumber the Bittys, and we probably wouldn't have any Bittys if we hadn't run out of Maxys - For Maxys, we have two brunettes with different hairdos, a blonde and a redhead, and just one pair of Bitty Twins. (I have three girls, or we wouldn't have quite this quantity... )

Edited by matroyshka

I really don't know of any dolls that are comparable to AG in the quality department. We have had some of our AG dolls since 1986 (My MIL bought them for me when I was dating my dh, because she only had boys and was dying to buy someone a doll...:lol:). They are still in perfect shape and my dd played with them for well over 10 years. My advice would be to buy the AG dolls. You won't regret it. In the long run, they will be well worth the price.

And, I say this as an owner of 9 AG dolls, and a bitty baby.

This catalog arrived on Saturday and I did notice the dolls. I will say that I have had great success on Craigslist finding nib AG dolls.....at a great price.

The "Forever Friends" collection from Madame Alexander are beautiful (I think much prettier than AG) and are of very good quality. They can wear all the clothing from AG, or any other 18" doll. I've seen them in "better" toy stores, and I bought my daughter's online at amazon.com for around $30.00.

I would say they are probably not as high quality as AG or the Gotz dolls, but they are MUCH nicer than the Target dolls.

That was one that I had looked at in the past .. Thanks!

I don't like the hair on those dolls. A friend has both the vision forum doll and the AG, we have AG dolls. I prefer the AG dolls a lot more, the quality is higher.

When I was young, my friend had Madame Alex. dolls. They were very pretty and beautiful, and we love playing with them (of course, we weren't supposed to and often got in trouble for playing with them :001_smile:)

The Gotz dolls are high quality and Tuesday Morning is a great place to look for them. However, my dd rarely plays with her Gotz doll, while the AG dolls are taken out daily. I don't know what it is about those AG dolls, but they are irresistable to certain girls. The AG doll is really worth stretching for if possible.

The "Forever Friends" collection from Madame Alexander are beautiful (I think much prettier than AG) and are of very good quality. They can wear all the clothing from AG, or any other 18" doll. I've seen them in "better" toy stores, and I bought my daughter's online at amazon.com for around $30.00.

I would say they are probably not as high quality as AG or the Gotz dolls, but they are MUCH nicer than the Target dolls.

DD got a FF doll last Christmas. We are very happy with her.