Menu

Candy is not a snack... or am I just totally out of touch?

I'm really not the mean food police mom or anything. I think we eat average to healthy meals--I want more veggies and salad, my dh wants more fried foods. My kids also have an occasional fast food run and eat donuts at church and whatever they are served as a guest. They eat thier halloween candy--at least until I get the leftovers to church.

But in our home "snack" means intentional sustenance to give you adequate nutrition until your next meal. Yogurt. Fruit. Cheese and crackers. Maybe even corn chips and guacamole. We do sometimes eat candy, as it "Hey, I want a piece of candy!" -- but that's entertainment, not snacking.

This year I've been getting more involved in cub scouts (I got sucked into being a den mother) and have been helping once a week with our church afternoon program for elementary kids. When asked to bring snacks kids invariably bring: candy. Red vines. Sour patch kids. Those dippy frosting cup things. At a recent even when kids brought their favorite snacks, my boys brought cheese quesadillas and pretzles, respectively. Everyone else (of 18 kids) brought candy--except one little girl who brought popcorn.

Do 15 of every 18 kids really eat candy as a snack? My boys invariably come home hopped up on goofballs. I'm not usually a super grumpy health mom, but maybe I'm more out there than I thought.

I don't think you're out of touch. But then, maybe I am, too. ;)

At ds's Boy Scout meetings they're specifically told to bring a salty snack so they don't get a whole pile of cakes, cookies, and candies. Sometimes one of the leaders will bring cookies or cupcakes, but then the sweets are limited to just what that one person brings.

BTW, my dd was always trying to convince me that marshmallows would make a good snack. I just keep repeating, "Marshmallows are candy. Would you like a protein or a fruit or veggie?" I think it's starting to sink in.

Cinder

HAHAHAHA, Seriously, this is the conversation that happens every afternoon in this house:

ds: Mom, can I have a snack?

me: Sure, hon, what would you like?

ds: Candy.

ms: Uhhh, I told you that you could have a snack, and candy is NOT a snack, it's a treat.

ds: Can I have a treat?

me: No, you may not.

ds: But I'm hungry.

me: Good thing I said you could have a snack then, huh?

ds: I'm hungry for candy, not an apple.

me: Sorry, candy will not help your hunger. Once again, candy is not a snack, it's a treat.

A few minutes go by as ds pretends to be looking for a snack with some nutritional value.

ds: Mom, can I have a cookie?

me: No, a cookie is not a snack, it is a treat.

This can go on for quite some time before ds finally *gets* that I won't let him have a treat for a snack. Yes, we keep treats in the house, but they are for special occassions, and definitely not everyday. I am CONSTANTLY saying, (fill in the blank) is a treat, not a snack. :tongue_smilie:

Nope, but I can betcha a good 50% or more are last minute OH GOODNESS I FORGOT TO GET SOMETHING and a package of Redvines is cheap and easy to grab.

:iagree: I guess we've been fortunate because we haven't run into this too much. It seems to happen in Brownies, but not at soccer. At soccer, the girls get granola bars, apples, yogurt tubes, the occasional sport drink, but usually a small bottled water or 100% juice box. We've also had the days where a parent forgets their week to bring a snack. Everyone is sooooo busy it seems. I don't hold it against them.

Of course I often wonder why all of these activities have to have a snack. Some of the clubs and sports activities last an hour or less. Does one really HAVE to eat every other hour? If it truly was once in awhile, that would be one thing, but sometimes it's just pointless. Last year in 4H we had snacks. So picture us eating donuts and drinking milk at 8pm (when the meeting was nearing the end). That's just ridiculous for little kids (these were 5 year olds).

I think it's fine, depending on the time of day and the activity, but other times, it just seems like eating for the sake of eating! Silly.

My daughter is rail thin and I know she's grateful for a snack and drink after her hour long soccer game. She needs the energy boost in the car on the way home. I think snacks for after school activities are important, too. I know my daughter's Brownie troop meets immediately after school and the girls that attend school often have not had anything since noon.

My son's scout troop meets at 6pm. They don't have a snack at that meeting, so they expect the kids have had a bite between school and the meeting.

ETA: It does seem we *constantly* eat at 4-H meetings because we have a contingent of little girls in our club (dd included) that like to bake!

Edited by sparrow

It is at our house, but we have never had food restrictions of any kind and my kids naturally moderate themselves. They are just as likely to eat fruit, crackers, cheese, or popcorn because they know that the candy won't disappear or be unavailable should they ever want it.

This can go on for quite some time before ds finally *gets* that I won't let him have a treat for a snack. Yes, we keep treats in the house, but they are for special occassions, and definitely not everyday. I am CONSTANTLY saying, (fill in the blank) is a treat, not a snack. :tongue_smilie:

In my house candy is a treat, but cookies are a snack.;)

In my house candy is a treat, but cookies are a snack.;)

Here too. The kids are allowed one cookie snack a day, 2-3 cookies. We used to let them have a few gummy sweets after lunch, but somehow that got out of hand, and we put an end to it. Candy is a once-in-a-while treat. Snacks are things like crackers and cheese, breadsticks, yogurt, fruit, cheese stick, rice cake, popcorn, muffin, carrot sticks, etc. But if I were told to bring a snack to a group meeting, it probably wouldn't be fruit or carrot sticks. It would be more along the line of popcorn, muffins, cookies, or chips.

But in our home "snack" means intentional sustenance to give you adequate nutrition until your next meal. Yogurt. Fruit. Cheese and crackers. Maybe even corn chips and guacamole. We do sometimes eat candy, as it "Hey, I want a piece of candy!" -- but that's entertainment, not snacking.

:iagree:

I remember telling my kids, "You don't eat candy when you're hungry. Candy is a treat, so you only eat a small amount. If you're hungry, eat FOOD."

Candy is NOT a snack. At our house, candy is a special treat, and something the boys only get every once in a great while.

Same here. A snack is a very small protein laden meal to help get you through to the next real meal. We have apples and nuts or carrots and cheese, peanut butter crackers, yogurt, etc.

Same here. A snack is a very small protein laden meal to help get you through to the next real meal. We have apples and nuts or carrots and cheese, peanut butter crackers, yogurt, etc.

Here, too. I used to tell my kids snacks had to have something redeeming (worthwhile) about them. One day my then 3yo came to me holding a cookie and asked, "Mom, does this have anything redeeming?" My visiting friend about spit out her coffee. :)

I wonder if it's regional, because bringing snacks to a kids' group here could mean anything. I differentiate at home by saying "sweet snack" or "healthy snack."

I agree that the snack thing has become ridiculous. Recently we were asked to take turns bringing in "breakfast" for the church youth group. They've just left home where they should have eaten breakfast, then they go to youth group where they can eat breakfast, then after they go to the fellowship hall where there will be donuts and (in winter) hot cocoa.

Then it's almost lunch time. :glare:

We helped out at a benefit car wash this weekend. Someone brought donuts and frosted sugar cookies for breakfast. The mid-morning snack was soda. For lunch (we were at a pizza place) it was pizza. Then the afternoon snack was cupcakes. All within a 5 hour period. It seemed rather normal fare for everyone but us. My kids skipped the donuts but did have some soda and pizza. When the cupcakes came out, my older dd said, as an aside to me, "No, thank you. I think I would hurl if I ate that." The soda alone was enough sugar for them.

i think a lot of you use the word "snack" differently than we do... a "snack" here just means "i'm eating something and it ain't meal time" --- so it might be a piece of toast, a chocolate bar, a sliced tomato dipped in dressing, a handful of gummi bears, a pear, a dunkaroos, a few bites of leftover something, bowl of cereal, yoghurt, sucker, whatever.... just a couple of minutes ago i ate a half slice of bread with ketchup on it. they're all "snacks" here. :)

The kids I tutor from 10 - 2 brought a bag of candy corn for their snack/lunch!!!! Really! I know it is close to Halloween, but if you pack it, most likely your kids have to eat it or go hungry. Why not pack cheese, an apple, an orange ... anything else.

And guess what the 11 year old boy just couldn't concentrate on his grammar lesson and skipped several; he said he didn't realize that he skipped the first five on each page.

Ugg

This drives me crazy too! Each family has to bring snack to my daughter's PM K class 6 times per year. The teacher designated in a letter to home that the snacks have to be "healthy" and made suggestions like fruit or cheese and crackers.

I brought apples one day, homemade blueberry muffins another day, baked a couple loaves of banana bread, and brought packaged granola bars another time.

I have seen parents walking in on their day with baskets full of DORITOS! Boxes full of pre-packaged OREOS!!! I had to pick my jaw off the ground. Can they not read?!?!?

Okay---rant over.

This drives me crazy too! Each family has to bring snack to my daughter's PM K class 6 times per year. The teacher designated in a letter to home that the snacks have to be "healthy" and made suggestions like fruit or cheese and crackers.

I brought apples one day, homemade blueberry muffins another day, baked a couple loaves of banana bread, and brought packaged granola bars another time.

I have seen parents walking in on their day with baskets full of DORITOS! Boxes full of pre-packaged OREOS!!! I had to pick my jaw off the ground. Can they not read?!?!?

Okay---rant over.

perhaps they couldn't afford to buy enough 'healthy' treats? (which almost always cost more)...

perhaps they don't know how/don't have $$ to buy the ingredients for/don't have time to make homemade treats...

i was in both of those situations a few years ago - when my kids were in activities that requested snacks, i usually sent a few giant bags of store brand chips and some store brand "fruit punch" juice boxes. it was all i could afford and i didn't have the supplies or the talent or the time to make up some fancy homemade goodies.

nowadays, i could pull off something better....although i'd prolly still buy something instead of bake - unless it was chocolate chip cookies, the one thing that i rarely mess up. :p

It is at our house, but we have never had food restrictions of any kind and my kids naturally moderate themselves. They are just as likely to eat fruit, crackers, cheese, or popcorn because they know that the candy won't disappear or be unavailable should they ever want it.

:iagree:

This is our family too. Two of my kids just asked for a snack and even though we have tons of candy in the house to prepare for trick or treat they asked for the two bananas we had left.

I'm really not the mean food police mom or anything. I think we eat average to healthy meals--I want more veggies and salad, my dh wants more fried foods. My kids also have an occasional fast food run and eat donuts at church and whatever they are served as a guest. They eat thier halloween candy--at least until I get the leftovers to church.

This year I've been getting more involved in cub scouts (I got sucked into being a den mother) and have been helping once a week with our church afternoon program for elementary kids. When asked to bring snacks kids invariably bring: candy. Red vines. Sour patch kids. Those dippy frosting cup things. At a recent even when kids brought their favorite snacks, my boys brought cheese quesadillas and pretzles, respectively. Everyone else (of 18 kids) brought candy--except one little girl who brought popcorn.

Do 15 of every 18 kids really eat candy as a snack? My boys invariably come home hopped up on goofballs. I'm not usually a super grumpy health mom, but maybe I'm more out there than I thought.

Correct. Candy is not a snack. Snacks are food that nourish. Candy is a treat. Treats are rare around here, especially those lacking in any nutritional value whatsoever.

Candy is a treat or a snack. How about neither. I'm not sure what it is since my kids don't even like that much.

A treat is a poptart, oreo cookie, chips, a rice crispy treat (hey, TREAT is even in its name!).

A snack has some nutritional value. A snack is a granola bar, a bag of nut or trail mix, and in a tough situation, perhaps an oatmeal cookie (Little Debbie's!).

Now, chocolate. That's in a category all it's own: it's a piece of heaven. :D

Thanks for the backup! I like the "treat vs. snack" definition that many of you use, that seems to reflect my meaning perfectly. Now I just need to have another discussion with my 6 year old about the fact that in our house a Snickers bar is not a snack, regardless of what happens at scout meetings. :glare:

Candy is not a snack.

At our house we have what's affectionately known as "Sugar Day" - Dad's day off. That's ds' day to have candy. Now, of course there are exceptions for birthday parties, holidays, etc. And if "Mom & Dad" want a treat some evening, he gets one too. But for the most part, that's how we've handled the sugar bug. It has worked pretty well for us (as long as me & dh don't give in to too many cravings!) :tongue_smilie: