Menu

For the LauraGB Walking Group (and everyone else!):winter walking clothes/strategies

So I see some of you have a bit of snow already. I feel your pain, really. I had to break out my long sleve tees for walking this week. Brrr! ;)

Seriously, though, long sleeve tees this week but it won't be long b/f I'm claiming hypothermia as an excuse not to walk. I really don't want to do that, though. I want to keep walking all through the winter and still be going strong when it warms back up.

So can we talk about cold weather survival strategies?

What do you suggest for clothing?

I have a pair or two of long johns but honestly, they just aren't that warm. They're just another layer and any other material would be just as warm -- or just as not warm. I'm considering buying something as an under layer that would actually be warmer than just another layer. Any ideas?

I'm thinking that layering with a warm under layer, gloves and a full-face hat might do it. Again, I have a full face hat but it's just knit -- read not that warm. Any ideas for that? I am willing to spend but not a whole lot. Moderately priced is best for me.

And what about strategies?

I don't have a single one and if pressed, wouldn't really be able to say what exactly I mean by that. I guess one strategy would be to have the dreadmill set up and inviting for days of extra-low temps or precipitation. :glare: I hate that thing. Still, if it were only once in a while . . .

Another strategy would be the Y. I could go there instead of walk on a very low temp day but my walking partner couldn't and w/o that accountability . . . right-o. So, not much of a strategy.

I need well lit bubble of warmth that I could walk in like a big hamster ball.

So help me out girls. What are your tried and true cold weather survival clothing items and strategies?

I live in Utah, where we have cold weather about 6 months out of the year (8" of new snow at my house this morning!) I like walking outside, rather than on a treadmill or at an indoor track, but I hate being cold, so this is what I do: Layers are your friend! I'll wear a long-sleeved technical T-shirt, or even long-johns shirt, then a fleece jacket on top. When it gets really cold, I'll wear my down coat, with my rain coat on top to keep the wind from blowing through. (It's the wind that's the killer!) For my pants, I have a pair of fleece tights that I wear when I go skiing, and then I'll put a pair of yoga pants or something on top so you don't just see me in tights. I wear fleece gloves, a fleece hat, and then a scarf or neck gaitor I can pull up over my chin and mouth to keep my face warm. Socks are either SmartWool or fleece, with my shoes loosened to fit them better.

I'll wear this out walking down to about 20 degrees, but once it gets much lower than that, I chicken out or head to the indoor track.

P.S. Walking faster really helps warm you up, too!

Polypropylene or wool long underwear is what I wore to cross country ski in Alaska. Wool socks and a poly ski mask like the ones here. Mine is the green colored one.

http://www.amazon.com/Rothco-G-I-Polypropylene-Balaclavas/dp/B000H7XGV6

I also work polyprop glove liners under a set of gloves when it was really cold.

Now my turn to ask. What do I put on my sweet 4 mo daughter who will either be in her stroller with me or in a backpack baby carrier?

I live in Utah, where we have cold weather about 6 months out of the year (8" of new snow at my house this morning!) I like walking outside, rather than on a treadmill or at an indoor track, but I hate being cold, so this is what I do: Layers are your friend! I'll wear a long-sleeved technical T-shirt, or even long-johns shirt, then a fleece jacket on top. When it gets really cold, I'll wear my down coat, with my rain coat on top to keep the wind from blowing through. (It's the wind that's the killer!) For my pants, I have a pair of fleece tights that I wear when I go skiing, and then I'll put a pair of yoga pants or something on top so you don't just see me in tights. I wear fleece gloves, a fleece hat, and then a scarf or neck gaitor I can pull up over my chin and mouth to keep my face warm. Socks are either SmartWool or fleece, with my shoes loosened to fit them better.

I'll wear this out walking down to about 20 degrees, but once it gets much lower than that, I chicken out or head to the indoor track.

P.S. Walking faster really helps warm you up, too!

Fleece tights? That's something I definately want to look in to. Thanks, I'm going to check out those items and see what I can get.

Thanks!

Polypropylene or wool long underwear is what I wore to cross country ski in Alaska. Wool socks and a poly ski mask like the ones here. Mine is the green colored one.

Ooh, I like the one hole mask. And right up my financial alley!

I also work polyprop glove liners under a set of gloves when it was really cold.

I have never felt that golves have kept my hands warm. I'll look into liners. Never even heard of that b/f.

Now my turn to ask. What do I put on my sweet 4 mo daughter who will either be in her stroller with me or in a backpack baby carrier?

I say put her inside your long johns top. That will keep you both warmer!

THanks!

I like those down bags with the legs. When it's really cold she can have a jacket and the bag closed around her and when it's not so bad you can undo the bag a bit and her hands can move about.

I like those down bags with the legs. When it's really cold she can have a jacket and the bag closed around her and when it's not so bad you can undo the bag a bit and her hands can move about.

Do most places carry these? Do you know where there is a link to this?

That sounds really good.

Just do layers. I have a friend that walks every day (no matter the weather) and we live in MN. SHe wears a face mask, hats, gloves and tons of layers. Her top layer is usually big sweats. Get special socks and spikes to wear on your shoes for when it gets snowy and icy. Be careful when it is really cold. I went with her one time and got frostnip on my stomach. I had several layers on but did not tuck anything in and the cold went under my shirts. We walk really fast so I was hot and did not feel it until the next day.

Sheri

All you cold weather walkers impress me! I'm a big baby; the only reason my poor dog gets any exercise from about Nov - early May is because I make the kids take her out. But now...I'll feel guilty if I don't get out there.

There are some good ideas and suggestions here. I especially like the one about the hamster ball :lol:.

My must-haves for cold weather (from a Chicago burbs gal):

• Underarmor turtleneck shirt
  • Underarmor running tights
  • warm medium layer top (duofold is good)
  • warm up pants that block the wind - I have some with a nylon shell and microfiber lining.
  • wool socks - two thin layer socks work well in my gym shoes
  • 3 in one coat system (can wear shell alone, liner alone or both)
  • fleece headband
  • fleece hat
  • fleece neck gaitor
  • running mittens by Brooks (liner mitts, plus outer mitts that block the wind - they really keep my hands warm)
  • balaclava if below zero wind chills.