Menu

?'s about MFW for highschool

Yes, I think they definitely could be skipped if you weren't interested in using them.

We are using MFW World History for my dd's soph year. Last year, Purpose Driven Life was assigned a chapter a day for a few weeks. You could easily substitute a different book. We haven't gotten to Experiencing God yet this year, but after looking at the lesson plans it looks like an easy skip as well.

I know many people use Do Hard Things or other books along those lines - we are hoping to fit those in as well!

Let me know if you have any more questions - I have lesson plans and books for both years here.

Just saw that you are in Central IL as well...crazy wind yesterday, hmmm? :)

Deb

but I could never figure out the order of the books that was intended.

Have you seen their online samples? There is a weekly grid that spells out exactly what materials to read about the topic of the day. So much easier than when I planned things myself!

Here's a 2nd-8th grid (scroll down to page 7)

http://www.mfwbooks.com/pdf/eccsample.pdf

Here's a high school grid (scroll down to page 10)

http://www.mfwbooks.com/pdf/ahlsample.pdf

HTH,

Julie

Have you seen their online samples? There is a weekly grid that spells out exactly what materials to read about the topic of the day. So much easier than when I planned things myself!

Here's a 2nd-8th grid (scroll down to page 7)

http://www.mfwbooks.com/pdf/eccsample.pdf

Here's a high school grid (scroll down to page 10)

http://www.mfwbooks.com/pdf/ahlsample.pdf

HTH,

Julie

I was thinking of these:

http://www.grovepublishing.com/science/christian-liberty-science.htm

I thought one of their books was called My Father's World. But it's OUR Father's World... Oops!! Sorry.... :blush:

Yes, I think they definitely could be skipped if you weren't interested in using them.

We are using MFW World History for my dd's soph year. Last year, Purpose Driven Life was assigned a chapter a day for a few weeks. You could easily substitute a different book. We haven't gotten to Experiencing God yet this year, but after looking at the lesson plans it looks like an easy skip as well.

I know many people use Do Hard Things or other books along those lines - we are hoping to fit those in as well!

Let me know if you have any more questions - I have lesson plans and books for both years here.

Just saw that you are in Central IL as well...crazy wind yesterday, hmmm? :)

Deb

It was insane! Our completely full trash cans kept blowing over! More wind due tomorrow and COLD at night. Bundle up!

:lurk5: As of right now, MFW is the front runner for my dd next year in 9th. I am fairly sure we will not want to use The Purpose Driven Life, but probably will want to use Experiencing God. May I ask why you don't want to use it?

Let's just say Henry Blackaby and I have differences in theology. ;) I don't really want to go any further into it than that here. :)

We will not be using either of these books. MFW has even addressed one of the books on their message boards. Aparently, a lot of people have mentioned substituting other books for the Purpose Driven Life.

I didn't even realize they had message boards over there. I'll check them out and see what others are using. Thanks!

I agree that it would be easy enough to sub out one book in those 2 years, without a problem. MFW provides a wonderful framework for learning, all scheduled out for the student, but it can be tweaked easily. I've used MFW for a long time and I tweak :)

However, just in defense of MFW's choices, I will say yes, I've heard the folks who say that their churches went too far off the deep end with following that book or something. But Purpose Driven isn't used to teach theology. MFW has students reading the entire Bible, line-by-line -- there is the theology. I wonder how many of those problem churches actually had everyone read every line of the Bible first?

Marie Hazell was looking for something to get kids thinking about how they *live* their lives. MFW test pilots *many* books with actual teens for several years before making choices. They are looking for things that kids respond to. I've talked with a few of the pilot kids at convention over the years, and some of them were early pilot kids who tried many things for Marie but simply didn't relate, didn't understand, found them dry, or got nothing out of them. Yet some remarked that Purpose Driven got them really thinking. From what I've seen, it's a tool used once and seems to be effective for its purposes. I personally love books and often find them useful, even without subscribing to the author's fan club :)

Just felt like saying that in defense of those who choose to use the book (like me!). (And I have heard rumors Marie's using or considering Do Hard Things in a later year. Although sometimes it depends on whether she can receive permission and such. I may use it during the scheduled "weekly parent meeting," if nothing else.)

Julie

I agree that it would be easy enough to sub out one book in those 2 years, without a problem. MFW provides a wonderful framework for learning, all scheduled out for the student, but it can be tweaked easily. I've used MFW for a long time and I tweak :)

However, just in defense of MFW's choices, I will say yes, I've heard the folks who say that their churches went too far off the deep end with following that book or something. But Purpose Driven isn't used to teach theology. MFW has students reading the entire Bible, line-by-line -- there is the theology. I wonder how many of those problem churches actually had everyone read every line of the Bible first?

Marie Hazell was looking for something to get kids thinking about how they *live* their lives. MFW test pilots *many* books with actual teens for several years before making choices. They are looking for things that kids respond to. I've talked with a few of the pilot kids at convention over the years, and some of them were early pilot kids who tried many things for Marie but simply didn't relate, didn't understand, found them dry, or got nothing out of them. Yet some remarked that Purpose Driven got them really thinking. From what I've seen, it's a tool used once and seems to be effective for its purposes. I personally love books and often find them useful, even without subscribing to the author's fan club :)

Just felt like saying that in defense of those who choose to use the book (like me!). (And I have heard rumors Marie's using or considering Do Hard Things in a later year. Although sometimes it depends on whether she can receive permission and such. I may use it during the scheduled "weekly parent meeting," if nothing else.)

Julie

No need to offer a defense; you're free to use the books if you choose to.

I'm quite familiar with both the PDL and EG and will not use them, regardless of the reasons behind why they were chosen for the curriculum. I'm not interested in debating or hearing arguments for or against them. My mind is made up on that point. I simply wanted to know if it was possible to skip them.

I really don't want this to turn into a debate over these books.

No need to offer a defense; you're free to use the books if you choose to.

I'm quite familiar with both the PDL and EG and will not use them, regardless of the reasons behind why they were chosen for the curriculum. I'm not interested in debating or hearing arguments for or against them. My mind is made up on that point. I simply wanted to know if it was possible to skip them.

I really don't want this to turn into a debate over these books.

Very sorry, you're right :blushing:

We did not use either book last year and the program was not diminished a bit. The important part of the Bible in MFW is the reading of the actual Bible (IMHO) so it didn't deter by skipping the books. For what it's worth, we didn't substitute anything for those books.

I simply wanted to know if it was possible to skip them.

My oldest is in the part of AHL right now where PDL is used. This is my perspective of how easy it would be to skip PDL.

Very easy.

In terms of what to substitute to meet a similar need in the point of the curriculum, here are a few thoughts:

* check out a thread that MFW posted about suggestions customers have made and what did and didn't work to sub it (that's more for the person earlier in the thread who didn't know MFW had a board... sorry.... but they do give titles that did and didn't work as well.) but you dont' have to read the link. It was more for others on the thread. sorry for confusion

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8417&p=56383#p56383

They are very open to suggestions for a sub book that isn't too heavy reading and sticks with the teen.

*PDL is used in a few ways in AHL. One of those is to have some inspiration and copywork with Bible verses with encouragement toward memory work as well for verses the student wants to memorize. Also, during these same weeks, they are doing that same thing with book of Proverbs. So, that's cool. But, it is not complete overlap so you might have to consider that as well for more Bible memory work and that thing. But that's an easy sub part for PDL. You'll be fine.

*find something that is written toward the age appropriate side of your student that is more about practical application of life principles and living with eternal purposes, and how to get along with others. Even if you aren't interested in using PDL for any reason (doesn't matter what the reason is), I'd like to kindly make the suggestion to look at the topic titles of the chapters of that book and at least discuss with your child ideas about those even if you can't find a specific book for each one. One example is so timely for us right now -- how to forgive when someone at church really hurts you. I don't care what it says in PDL on it, we're living that right now after someone in our small group turned me into CPS as being a bad mom. whatever.

*remember to include the sub book as part of your weekly conference. MFW emphasizes over and over in the AHL plans the importance of weekly meeting and strong encouragement for parents to do Bible study with the child.

well, I haven't used WHL yet to know how EG book is used. But I'm guessing it will be a quick sub too for those who wish to do so.

But, yes, you can certainly leave PDL out and it will be easy. You can pick any "inspirational" genre book for those days, and add in Bible memory work on your own and like MFW recommends -- use whatever translation you like for the verses.

Hope some of that is practical help for it.

-crystal

Edited by cbollin
add sentence

...One example is so timely for us right now -- how to forgive when someone at church really hurts you. I don't care what it says in PDL on it, we're living that right now after someone in our small group turned me into CPS as being a bad mom. whatever...

-crystal

:grouphug: I am so sorry!