Menu

How long should I stop, drop, and go medieval?

delaney

I am seeing that Medieval times could be lots of fun so I want to break from SOTW before I go into TOG unit 2 and do a unit study on knights, castles, and all the great stuff there is to do! How long should I try to do this and should I just immerse them in the unit study for 2-3 weeks and drop spelling and the extra stuff or will that throw them off? I was thinking no formal reading work since we will be reading TONS during this time and writing lots with our lapbook and narrations. Keep doing math?

Also, what are the must have read alouds for this time period with a 1st and 5th grade girl? I have ordered castle kits and already own tons of books. I am pulling stuff from SOTW AG and HO.

What's your overall year schedule? Will you be turning around and taking a school break for Christmas? Have you been making good progress in your subjects and will only be away for 2 weeks? 2 weeks or 4 weeks away makes a difference for me. Having trouble with math facts, so that you may not want an extended break from practicing them?

Without knowing more......I would keep up with math for both. Phonics for the younger.

But, you could alternate days with subjects (math one day and phonics the next) or do them creatively. If you know you're cooking a recipe for the unit study, make them do the measurements/fractions (I like to hide a cup to make them be creative. Need 1 1/2 cups and only have the 1/4.....) Double the recipe and make them figure out what they need. Call that math for the day and be done. Have them measure the castle parts.....etc...

Also, having two dd's, I would make sure and do princesses. :)

This should be a really fun unit! Definitely make a castle, as you had planned (the SOTW2 AG has an edible one with marshmallows -- fun!). Maybe conclude with a medieval feast?

As the PP noted, I don't know your overall schedule, but certainly a couple weeks of unit study would be good, just keeping up with basics like math and LA. You could even apply things to the unit study -- e.g., for your 5th grader, you are a princess trapped in a tower. You have a chance to write a letter to describe your conditions and seek escape.

Maybe make your own coat of arms? Also, if you are Christian, this might be a good chance to do a day on the armor of God from Ephesians and compare to the armor the knights would wear.

Have fun!

I absolutely love this time period - so many fun things to do!

Personally, I no matter what we are doing, I always try to keep math going in some form. (This past summer was the first time I didn't and I could really tell a difference. Catch-up was a bear.)

That said, what a great time you are all going to have. I see you have girls. My daughter likes to be doing something with her hands if I'm reading outloud, she seems to focus better. She colored several of the Dover Coloring books during that time. "Life in a Medieval Castle and Village", "Cathedral Stained Glass Coloring Book" and "Medieval Fashions" were her favorites. I got them through Amazon and maybe one at Rainbow Resource.

We also have loved the entire "Good Times Travel Agency" books including "Adventures in The Middle Ages" by Linda Baiey.

The Coat of Arms project as mentioned before is also a lot of fun.

Good luck with this - unit studies are awesome fun!

Well I have a ton of books checked out and got a castle pattern book off Amazon so they will use that punch out castle, we will do some of the activities from Days of Knights and Damsels, some from 2 other guides I got, coat of arms, ending feast complete with invites to the entire family. I also got a few read alouds but not sure what I can complete! I got Midnight Magic since it sounded interesting and I also need to do a Door in the Wall I think? My little lady is able to read 3rd grade level so I am going to let her do the Magic treehouse books and do a presentation of them and the A to Z mystery Deadly dungeon book. I will TRY to get all of it in pictures and stuff on my blog after we are done or as we go along. I am missing my battery charger for my Rebel:glare: so I have to get one fast since I am low on battery!