Menu

At what age should same-s*x siblings stop bathing together?

Is there an age where same-s*x siblings should stop bathing together? My DDs are 9 and 7. They get along incredibly well and choose to share a room - and bed half the time, LOL. They love taking baths together and always have. Rarely - maybe 3x over the course of the last year - DD#1 has wanted a private bath, but it's usually because she wants the toys to herself for the night or a super-hot bath, which DD#2 can't tolerate.

In the last week, I have noticed that DD#1 appears to be getting bre@st buds :001_huh: which has me totally freaked out. I am not ready for this. I'm not sure if she's noticed or not. DD#2 hasn't - I am sure I would have heard about it, LOL! At any rate, I am starting to wonder if I should have them take separate baths anytime soon. I hate to stop one of the things they love the most about the pre-dinner hour, but am not sure what to do - how long it will be "appropriate".

Also, my DDs see me n@ked most every day :tongue_smilie: If I am in the shower or just out and they happen to come upstairs to their room - which is right after the bathroom - they see me. We rarely shut the door b/c houses here in Germany are sealed so tightly that we have a terrible problem with mold in the winter. I don't want the bathroom any steamier than it has to be. But, I have begun to feel funny about DD#1 seeing me n@ked. Not sure why as she doesn't ever seem to notice and never points anything out.

Am I making a big deal out of things? Or is there an age where even same-s*x family members are better off covering up? Oh, and FWIW, DD#1 hasn't seen DH n@ked since she was about 9 mos old & DD#2 never has! The issue is just with the girls (and mama)!

TIA - will check back tomorrow AM, my time. It's after midnight here & I am headed to bed!

By the time my kids are 7 or 8 they don't want ANYONE in there:) Guess it just depends on the kids and what you're comfortable with. If it were me I would probably start having them take separate bathes. This, coming from a mom that doesn't even change in front of her 3 year old:tongue_smilie:

My dds stopped on their own, maybe a little less than a year ago. The idea of their bathing/showering together in and of itself didn't bother me at all, but now I like to know who to blame for getting water all over the floor. :tongue_smilie:

I don't think modesty had much to do with their decision. They still change together, and sometimes share a bed. They just want to be able to hog the bathroom!

I agree that they just will on their own.

I don't have a sister anywhere near my age but I can remember feeling totally comfortable getting dressed and undressed (like changing into bathing suits or something) in front of one of my best female friends up until we were about 11. With the onset of puberty around that time, we just sort of naturally developed our own sense of modesty/desire for more privacy.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

Honestly my sister and I took baths together until we were 10 and 8. We always dresses together and with my mom, we had little modesty. I think you are all female and have the same stuff so there is nothing wrong with it.

I personally don't see anything wrong with same-s*x siblings bathing or dressing in front of one-another unless they are uncomfortable about it, kwim? Then, it becomes an issue of respect of ones privacy and modesty. My boys all showered together to save time and water until about a year ago (they were 9 and 11). Dd13 will still bath with dd5 occasionally. I agree with the pp's...they will stop when it becomes uncomfortable.

My oldest two are boy, then girl, and I started bathing them separately pretty young. I think the older one was 4 (or less) which would put the next one at about 2 1/2.

My younger three are girls, and I'm not as strict with them. However, I've asked my 8 yr old to bathe on her own since she was around 7. The baby will hop in the bath with my 5 yr old for a rinse off.

It's a personal preference, but I did feel more comfortable establishing privacy at an early age.

My ds7, dd5 and dd2 all go in the bath together still at this stage. I would anticipate that we'd stop this either when one reaches puberty, or when one no longer wishes to bathe together, whichever happens first. I think it will likely be the latter, as the boy already sometimes chooses to have a shower instead of hopping in the bath with his sisters.

I agree with everyone else. They will self regulate. My youngest two are 11 & 14 and while they no longer shower together they will use my bathroom at the same time. I have a seperate shower and tub. One will use one while the other uses the other. Mom taking a bath means that she can temporarily be held hostage so please feel free to come in and initiate a conversation. This is a mostly girl household so it is not usual to see girls wander the house in various states of undress. I wouldn't worry about it. They will work it out themselves.