Menu

Are these math problems right on level for a 2nd grader?

blessedmom3

To me they seem a challenging . My 7yo can do it but needs some help. Are these appropriate for an average 2nd grader? I found them somewhat harder than Singapore CWP 2 .

* Rye is four years older than her brother Tom. Six years from now , she will be 20 . How old is Tom?

*Matthew has some baseball cards. Patrick has half as many cards as Mathew. If Patrick has 10 cards , how many cards does Mathew have?

* Dee is 58 years old. Joe is 1/2 old Dee's age. How old is Joe?

From beestar.com , 2nd grade Math

I think they are as far as comprehending what's happening, but I know my 3rd grade tutoring students would come in with similar problems and such wonderful strategies as "Draw 58 dots. Cross out every other dot. Count what's left", because they were on our state test.

Out of idle curiosity, I simplified problem 1 so that the girl was going to be 10 instead of 20. I left the rest of the wording the same and asked my Kindergartner.

She had no idea what to do with it. I read it to her about three times. I suggested that the critical issue was to figure out how old the girl is right now. After she thought about it and expressed confusion, I told her everything she needed to know was in the second sentence, and re-read just that sentence. She figured out how old the girl was.

Then I read her the entire problem again, and she was able to tell me how old the boy was.

I think I would probably expect her to be able to do a problem like this without help two years from now. But I have no idea what is typical.