Menu

Help me plan a Chocolate Party for 5-7 year olds?

I'm not a party-throwing type of parent. My friends affectionately - and accurately - call me Scrooge whenever holidays or birthdays come around. I don't dislike holidays and birthdays, just the general big ado about them. And not all big ado, just any I'm required to plan for LOL.

My older child takes after me. My younger child fell far from some other genetic tree, because she LOVES to celebrate. She turns five this year, and asked for a birthday party; doesn't care about gifts, just wants her friends over to celebrate. The cake, the games, the fun. All of the things I dread LOL.

We go to parties every month for their friends, but I'm paralyzed at the thought of hosting one myself. My friends are enjoying the sight of me trying to plan this party, and have subscribed to the "throw the kid into the water to teach them to swim" mentality -- they're being no help, and are enjoying my torture. Just said to find two activities/games, food, and a goodie bag. Google gave me lots of ideas geared towards adults or tied into Willy Wonka, which I'm not really familiar with (nor is my daughter).

She would like a chocolate party. I figured fondue or fountain, even though it'll be a bit messy. Or maybe each kid can decorate her own chocolate cake instead? What kind of activities, games, ideas can you share that would fit this theme? The kids will all be 5-6 years old. I lack a creativity/fun gene, I don't like chocolate, and I did I mention I hate the pressure of parties? Help!!

This is torture for me. Please help. I wanted to get 'er done mid-November, before the holiday madness sets in. She wants 15 friends/siblings, but I think I'll cull the list to 5-8 for my sanity's sake. Is that a reasonable number?

I love planning and hosting parties.

However, the theme that your daughter chose would drive me to drink. Chocolate for anyone who is NOT PMS-ing?! eeeeeeesh. However, since your daughter requested, I think you could do a few of things in advanced.

Chocolate dipped strawberries.

Chocolate cookies.

White chocolate dipped pretzel rods.

Prebake chocolate cupcakes and have the kids decorate them.

And yes... CUT the guest list down. 5 kids is a good #. Really... it is. Also, for that age group, 1.5-2 hr party is perfect. Anything longer than that, and you risk a tantrum from someone in that group. Decorating the cupcakes, and maybe some kind of game like "pin the tail on the donkey" would be good. However, you could take a Hershey's chocolate bar wrapper and "pin" it to a giant blown up picture of your daughter! They could try and pin it to her mouth. hahahahaha!!

Decorate with pink, brown, and cream. Mmmmmm... chocolatey good!

Edited by flobee76

I would have piles of stuff for the kids to actually dip in chocolate themselves - pretzels, strawberries, bananas, potato chips (no, really, it's AWESOME), cookies, cake squares, caramels, etc. I know fondue is messy, but it's fun.

You could also do a couple of games around a chocolate theme. Maybe pin the tag on the Hershey kiss or something like that. Or Hershey Kiss toss instead of beanbag toss. Or a fishing game, but with chocolate. Something like that. If your dd is really girly, you could do some sort of queen of chocolate thing where you decorate crowns with chocolates.

Kids this age don't need more than a couple of activities. Mostly they just want to run around and hang out together - at least, in our circle that's true.

A friend of ours hosted a similar party for her dc a few years ago. At the party, all the kids made chocolates (she had lots of chocolate molds) & melted dark, milk, and white chocolates for the kids to put into the molds. That may be too much for you, so I agree w/ just having a fondue pot & easy things for each child to dip into the chocolate. Each child should have a piece of wax paper by them (w/ their names written on each piece) so they can put their 'finished' chocolates there to harden. Get clear bags & bag up the stuff they make at the end of the party & that gets to be the goody bag.

The other thing the mom did was get a bunch of plain aprons (I think she got a pack of a dozen at Costco???) & used fabric paint to write each child's name on an apron & drew a simple piece of candy. They wore the aprons while dipping chocolate & it was the other thing they got to take home w/ them.

I don't remember much else about the party. I think there were some games where kids would earn 'tickets' depending on if they won 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.... (All kids would get at least a few tickets after each game.) She then had some small baskets w/ various candies in them & you could 'buy' them w/ your tickets -- stuff like a Hershey's Kiss or a small pack of Nerds for 1 ticket, something a little bigger for 2 tickets, etc....

I'm not a party-throwing type of parent. My friends affectionately - and accurately - call me Scrooge whenever holidays or birthdays come around. I don't dislike holidays and birthdays, just the general big ado about them. And not all big ado, just any I'm required to plan for LOL.

My older child takes after me. My younger child fell far from some other genetic tree, because she LOVES to celebrate. She turns five this year, and asked for a birthday party; doesn't care about gifts, just wants her friends over to celebrate. The cake, the games, the fun. All of the things I dread LOL.

We go to parties every month for their friends, but I'm paralyzed at the thought of hosting one myself. My friends are enjoying the sight of me trying to plan this party, and have subscribed to the "throw the kid into the water to teach them to swim" mentality -- they're being no help, and are enjoying my torture. Just said to find two activities/games, food, and a goodie bag. Google gave me lots of ideas geared towards adults or tied into Willy Wonka, which I'm not really familiar with (nor is my daughter).

She would like a chocolate party. I figured fondue or fountain, even though it'll be a bit messy. Or maybe each kid can decorate her own chocolate cake instead? What kind of activities, games, ideas can you share that would fit this theme? The kids will all be 5-6 years old. I lack a creativity/fun gene, I don't like chocolate, and I did I mention I hate the pressure of parties? Help!!

This is torture for me. Please help. I wanted to get 'er done mid-November, before the holiday madness sets in. She wants 15 friends/siblings, but I think I'll cull the list to 5-8 for my sanity's sake. Is that a reasonable number?

For a craft let the kids dip pretzel rods in chocolate and roll them in sprinkles, nuts, colored sugar etc. It isn't too messy and is a LOT of yum.

Chocolate dipped pineapple, strawberries, etc. are very good snacks along with hershey kisses, M&Ms.

I'd do a chocolate fountain as I've been at two bar mitzvahs that had them and the kids absolutely adored them! Set out lots of different things that can be dipped and lots of skewers. Cover everything imaginable in plastic tablecloths, LOL!

Or maybe for that age you could do a tea party with lots of different chocolate type goodies? You could do some chocolate covered fruit, chocolate cookies, shaved chocolate decorating some other things like little cakes, Nutella sandwiches, etc. All desserts would be tiny and already done, so you'd save the liquid chocolate mess. They could drink an herbal tea or just lemonade from little cups.

There are very cute paperware patterns out nowdays that include little cups with paper handles, so clean up could be easy and you wouldn't have to worry about breakage.

You could make little flower arrangements in teacups or tea pots if you have some of those....

For their "craft" they could decorate an oversize chocolate cupcake to take home (have little Chinese take out boxes, etc. to put them in for carrying). And/or you could use brightlly colored Chinese take out boxes for your "goodie bags" and include some different kinds of good chocolates inside, some flower stickers, etc.

Everyone could dress up in hats, gloves, necklaces, ties, etc. for the party. You could play pin the feather on the hat, have a chocolate treasure hunt, etc.....

Finger Paints

Use Finger Paint paper. For paint, use chocolate pudding.

Make Chocolate Scented Play Dough

http://www.theideabox.com/Chocolate_Scented_Playdough.html

Candy Bar Cake

http://www.norfolkflorist.com/candy-bar-cake/

Scroll down and check out the cupcakes - chocolate w/ Hersey Bar's on Top:

http://cupcakestakethecake.blogspot.com/2009/07/cookie-monster-rocky-road-and-tennis.html

Other Chocolate Party Ideas

http://www.birthdaypartyideas.com/html/chocolate_parties_8.html - Love the apron idea in this one

Also, what about chocolate ice-cream? You could do an ice-cream bar with all the topping and syrups and let the kids make their own sundaes.

I would pick only 1 messy activity and make the others simpler (and cleaner.)

Maybe decorate cupcakes or use those candy molds, then have a chocolate version of pin the tail on the donkey, coloring sheets, etc... It gives you a chance to isolate the mess and move the party on to something cleaner while a person cleans up the mess. Games with hershey kisses as game markers? Maybe Bingo?

pinatas are big around here.

A game of Candyland might be fun? We went to a party with a Candyland theme. They set up squares through the house that served as the board game for kids to stand on. They rolled dice and had to go forward and backward. The mom/dad were dressed up as Candyland characters. :)

ALSO: I would offer a few non-chocolate alternatives. Older dd has a friend (7) who will not eat any chocolate. No allergies, she just doesn't like it. And my younger dd (5) prefers non-chocolate, although she would never turn down a sweet. So, throw in some skittles/starburst/vanilla choices.

Edited by snickelfritz

Thank you all for chiming in. I'm feeling a bit less overwhelmed thanks to your tips and suggestions. I was way overthinking this, I think LOL.

I like the idea of pre-dipped foods. Seems less messy, and we can decorate little cupcakes or sundaes.

I like the idea of a smaller party. Seems more manageable.

I love the idea of painting with chocolate pudding!

I appreciate the idea of having a few non-chocolate items available. I'm not a huge chocolate fan myself, but never would have thought guests might not be either. I'll definitely have alternatives on hand.

I'm going to run a few of the game ideas by my daughter, and she'll be thrilled to have so many to choose from. I wish I had an iota of creativity; thanks again for helping me make this birthday special for her.

Now to convince her that this only happens for birthdays that end in the number 5 ....! :tongue_smilie:

You ladies are wonderful. :grouphug:

We love parties here! Here's what I would do.

Candy bar invitations like these: http://www.intimateweddings.com/blog/printable-candy-bar-wrappers-and-theyre-free/

Decorations would be browns and cream mix and match patterns and solids, that would include table cloths, flatware, napkins, balloons, obnoxious amounts of streamers and hand cut out HAPPY BIRTHDAY (YOUR DAUGHTERS NAME) letters up on a wall (we do them nice and big using all kinds of scrap paper and wrapping paper). We've also done them on cut out triangles like this: (scroll down a little) http://prettydarncutedesign.com/blog/

With paper being browns and creams like white and regular chocolates.

Activity would be decorating a cupcake to take home in a cute cupcake bakery box. This also counts for the goody bag. You could even let them decorate the box with candy themed stickers. Each child get one unfrosted cupcake, the frostings and various chocolate topping can be all laid out and ready to go.

We did this one year, and it was a blast. Each child made their own unique over the top gloppy cupcake. We provided tons of topping and even the little toys you put into the top of cupcakes. They really loved the little paper umbrellas. :) I would keep most of the topping chocolate though..

We put on the invitation to dress for a messy project.

Games I'm not sure.

Off to read other responses!