Menu

How would you feel?

How would you feel if you found out your son's karate teacher was moonlighting as a bouncer at a strip club?

It wouldn't bother me at all as long as he left his work at the club. However, if it bothers you greatly, you might be better off finding another teacher. You need to be able to feel comfortable with whom you entrust your children.

Thanks. He's a great teacher and the kids don't know about it. I only found out because it somehow came up in conversation between him and my husband about how he's spending his Friday nights. I was mostly just really surprised. I think of dudes that hang out in strip clubs as creepy, but he isn't creepy, and I suppose he has to pay the bills, and this works for him.

Thankful that he provides the protective service that these women need in order for them to do the jobs they choose to do. Women rarely choose these sorts of jobs if they have other options. Regardless of their reason for choosing said jobs, due to the nature of these jobs they frequently need more protection than the average women and I have nothing but respect for a man that would provide such protection for women who so clearly need it.

I'm trying not to be judgemental, but honestly, I think I'd find another place for karate.

Karate is more than just the moves, so to speak--one has to have respect and honor towards one's teacher, and I can't honor a man who supports the stripping industry.

I do understand about providing protection for the women. (I think there are options that don't involve stripping.) I don't feel obligated to continue to go to him for karate, tho.

I think I'd find another place for karate.

Karate is more than just the moves, so to speak--one has to have respect and honor towards one's teacher, and I can't honor a man who supports the stripping industry.

:iagree:

We left my son's previous dojang due integrity issues with the instructor.

It wouldn't bother me. As long as his in-class demeanor is professional, and he's not committing crimes, I don't care what he does when he's not teaching martial arts.

One of the kids' teachers sells Lia Sophia and some sort of supplements. She sends home fliers. That DOES bug me. :tongue_smilie:

I wouldn't care in the least. He's taking what he can to put food on the table and he obviously has the strength for the job.

:iagree: I don't see how he's 'supporting' the stripping industry. He's not spending money there, he's making money. In this economy, many people are taking jobs they otherwise wouldn't, to keep the bills paid.

I'm guessing that he's seen a drastic reduction in the number of students, and just can't pay his way without a 2nd job.

Besides being immature ;), I've made the conscious decision that I will not hold people's private lives against them in a forum where it's irrelevant if they keep it to themselves. For example, I don't boycott a movie simply because I disagree with an actor's lifestyle, so long as the movie itself is fine. I don't ask the person at McDonalds if they do things I find morally objectionable, so long as they give me my hamburger without it having to affect me in any way. I don't do a background check on everyone my kids come into contact with, and so long as they aren't doing anything illegal or have a history of abuse or anything like that, I don't really have an issue with them if they perform their job well. It would just be impossible. I figure this sort of situation applies, but that's just me.

I can't honor a man who supports the stripping industry.

I don't think he's supporting the stripping industry, I think it's supporting him. ;)

In theory, I wouldn't mind- but the man is walking a fine line. He's watching girls strip all night in a club, so by definition he is hanging out with at least some unsavory characters (or the place wouldn't need a bouncer.) I would keep a close eye on him.

I'm trying not to be judgemental, but honestly, I think I'd find another place for karate.

I do understand about providing protection for the women. (I think there are options that don't involve stripping.) I don't feel obligated to continue to go to him for karate, tho.

:iagree: I wouldn't be able to continue. If he's OK with that industry, I just wouldn't want my children looking up to him.

I don't think he's supporting the stripping industry, I think it's supporting him. ;)

In theory, I wouldn't mind- but the man is walking a fine line. He's watching girls strip all night in a club, so by definition he is hanging out with at least some unsavory characters (or the place wouldn't need a bouncer.) I would keep a close eye on him.

Every nightclub and most restaurants, stripping or not, has a 'bouncer'. Someone has to check IDs, or deal with beligerant patrons. Sometimes these people are called 'hosts'. They are the guys who show up and say , "Sir, you are disturbing the other guests. Please stop or we will have to show you out."

Every nightclub and most restaurants, stripping or not, has a 'bouncer'. Someone has to check IDs, or deal with beligerant patrons. Sometimes these people are called 'hosts'. They are the guys who show up and say , "Sir, you are disturbing the other guests. Please stop or we will have to show you out."

I think there's a difference between a business that calls this person a bouncer and one that calls this person a host. I've had to "bounce" people from my business before, but I don't need a "bouncer".

He'd better not be watching the girls very much--he's supposed to be watching the patrons!

Oh, guess I'd better answer the question. I know our instructor pretty well--I know that he works hard for very little, that he does martial arts for kids out of love and not because he's earning anything at it. I know he has to take work where he can get it, and that he is a guy with a lot of respect for women and concern for their safety. So while I don't approve of the stripping industry, I would respect his work and be glad that the girls in the job--who probably don't want to be there--had somebody like that looking out for their well-being.