Menu

Does the amount of anger/nastiness/rudeness in the world ever get you down?

Sometimes I just get awfully sad at how much anger and how little compassion there is in the world. I know that I am also guilty of this many times, but I do wish that people could just be nicer to each other. Maybe it's PMS, but I'm having one of those days where I feel very vulnerable in a world with so much hate and anger.

I'm just feeling a bit down a bit it and would like to hear if others sometimes feel this way as well. Please try to not comment if my comment somehow pushes your buttons and makes you feel angry and defensive! It's not directed at anyone in particular - more the world in general!

I find myself annoyed by the self-centeredness more than anything. Just today, we were behind a car going into the bank parking lot. The person was consumed with trying to light her cigarette and going very slowly because she was tyring to turn at the same time. I went into another drive-through lane. When the car in front of her finished the transaction, she was oblivious to it because she was still doing something in the car. It took a long time for her to realize her turn was next.

I feel like I am always driving behind people who make driving secondary to everything else. I drive by more people texting, reading the paper, etc., that it makes me not want to leave the house. People don't seem to pay attention anymore, and I've had people almost run me off the road a few times because they weren't paying attention. It's scary.

I think I see more apathy, lack of concern for others and laziness than I do anger where I live.

My kids say I talk too much when we are out, and that I am too cheery to cashiers, and mommies with babies, esp. They say I am scary that way. One of mine also thinks I need to stop saying "Don't worry, I'm not in rush" to people waiting on me. lol

Of course, I return my shopping cart to the corral. ;)

We can be the light, right? lol Smile upon your neighbor, oh yeah. Everybody get together try to love one another right now. lol

Edited by LibraryLover

My kids say I talk too much when we are out, and that I am too cheery to cashiers and mommies with babies, esp. They say I am scary that way. One of mine also thinks I need to stop saying "Don't worry, I'm not in rush" to people waiting on me. lol

I do this, too, to counter the meanness and self-centeredness I see. :001_smile:

Yes. Frequently.

And I find it's most worrisome that our supposed leaders are the worst offenders - politicians. Both parties. I do think all those negative ads are successful in lowering the tone of public discourse.

I don't care if the negative ads "work". These are people who are supposed to be leading us, and they stink at it. Both parties.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread. You can tell it's election season and I'm fed up with being harassed with negativity constantly.

I would also say that "reality" TV and, of course, movies (anyone else see "Knocked Up" - it took my dh and I a week to recover) greatly raise the amount of anger/nastiness/rudeness in the world and also lower the bar for everyone else.

:grouphug: I just try to do my own little thing and be polite to everyone in my daily life.

Edited by Happy2BaMom

Sometimes I just get awfully sad at how much anger and how little compassion there is in the world. I know that I am also guilty of this many times, but I do wish that people could just be nicer to each other. Maybe it's PMS, but I'm having one of those days where I feel very vulnerable in a world with so much hate and anger.

I'm just feeling a bit down a bit it and would like to hear if others sometimes feel this way as well. Please try to not comment if my comment somehow pushes your buttons and makes you feel angry and defensive! It's not directed at anyone in particular - more the world in general!

It can really make me feel upset sometimes. But sometimes you just have to ask God to help you make it throught the days so you can get the things done that need to get done. That's what I feel I have to do often, and it does help quite a bit. Unfortunately, we have to live with it, but there are ways to avoid it for a little bit, just try not to think too much about this and I think things will be better for you.

Yes! And I'm certainly guilty, too! I have no idea why I'm the most impatient person alive, but I am and have always been so.

I've have finally gotten to a point where I can try to sometimes step back if I find myself in a situation like that (such as drivers who get mad at others in traffic for no apparent reason) and stay calm and cool. And I can sometimes keep cool under pressure to try to help others stay calm when tensions flare. But in my own personal dealings, I'm still just as likely to be a flash in the pan as not, LOL (pre-adolescent has been pushing my impatience buttons lately)....

I don't really tend to take it personally as I think most folks are just flaring because of pressures within their personal lives and these sorts of things usually really aren't about the public situation where they may show up. Harried drivers in rush hour traffic who flare, for instance, are generally taking out frustrations that have nothing to do with the fact that the driver in front of them has to stop because there's a whole line of stopped traffic in front of *them*....

I've taken to actually praying for aid in such situations for those involved (now if someone will just take up my cause and pray for me.....)

I feel that way most often at the store. I am always amazed by how rude people can be!! I am very kind to people in stores. We always say excuse me or let people in front of us, help people reach things when they can't, etc.. I just tend to be friendly when we are out and about. I'm always surprised at how rude/selfish others can be in those same situations. I'm most often shocked, though, by how moms talk to their kids, especially little kids under 5. I will never grow accustomed to hearing a small child cussed at. :angry:

Oh, something that happened the other day that was my ray of light: I was with my 3 youngers and had the baby in the sling. I was unloading my groceries into the car and this wonderful boy of about 11 or 12 came walking out with his mom. He walked up to me and said, "Ma'am, would you like me to help you unload your groceries?" :svengo:He was so kind and respectful. I told the mom she was doing a good job!!