Menu

Anyone here know how to weave?

My dd (almost 13) is begging to learn how to weave. Last week she attended an old-fashioned fair and stood for an hour watching the lady weave on her huge loom. So, since my dd is naturally 'talented' in these things...sews like the wind, taught herself knitting, etc., what kind of loom would you recommend that would not frustrate her with being too complicated like the huge floor models, but still be challenging enough for her to use for several years at least. I'm looking at this for her main Christmas gift. Thanks!

My first loom which I still sometimes use is a rigid heddle loom. Mine is a Beka but there are several on the market. If I were buying one now I would probably buy one with a built in warpin board. One thing to keep in mind is that you can always use a wide loom to make narrower cloth but not vice versa unless you are double weaving which requires at least 4 heddles. I would also buy her some tablet weaving cards. They are very inexpensive compared to most weaving equipment and can create either very simple or almost infinitely complex designs depending on how they are used. I have to go now. I will try to post more information later.

If you want something that will take care of her for a while, I strongly suggest getting a good table loom rather than a rigid heddle loom. Having used both, the table loom is far more versatile.

I like the Schacht table looms the best of the ones I have tried. A minimal one that would still be much better than the rigid heddle ones would be a 4 harness table loom with a 15 inch weaving width. If you can manage the cost, an 8 harness one would take her much farther in design capability, but most weavers start with 4 harnesses and that is enough for a long time. The rigid heddle looms have the equivalent of only 2 harness, which is very limiting.

If you want a small, simple loom to fool with, the weaving cards and a couple of good books would be nice, too. I recommend Candace Crockett's book on the subject. An inkle loom is also nice and extremely portable.

But from your description, I strongly suggest the Schacht table loom.

My dd9 has one of those easy weavers, but then she wanted more after her first project. She is working her way through Kids Weaving which includes directions to build a loom. Later in the year, she'll be taking weaving lessons from a local yarn maker. In hindsight, I would have had her work through Kids Weaving before buying the Easy Weaver. It would have satified her weaving desire and saved a lot of money. She'd have her own homemade loom and a better understanding of the craft. She'd probably still be taking lessons afterwards.

this is the one we have...the instructions are clear and easy to use...it comes all ready to go...the quality is excellent too. Harrisville has several other syles too...this is a great company!

Amazon.com: Harrisville Designs Style B Easyweaver: Toys & Games: Reviews, Prices & more

All of the kits from Harrisville Designs are of excellent quality. You can get anything from a $10 lap loom, to a $6000 rug loom. Take a look at their educational toys section. I bet you will find something that fits your daughter and your budget.

If you want a particularly fun gift, I suggest that you call around your local area and look for weaving classes that you could take with your daughter. Many studios have 1 day or weekend events that are appropriate for beginners and would teach your DD the basics on a nice loom. It give her a great foundation to build on and create a really fun memory for the two of you.

Check with your local historical sites and museums. The ones in our area all have a floor loom set up and have people come in to weave on it periodically. They are all very welcoming to beginners who have a sincere wish to learn how to weave. You could probably set up a session with some of them and perhaps she would become the site's new demonstrator! How's that for extra history credit?!?

If you want something that will take care of her for a while, I strongly suggest getting a good table loom rather than a rigid heddle loom. Having used both, the table loom is far more versatile.

I like the Schacht table looms the best of the ones I have tried. A minimal one that would still be much better than the rigid heddle ones would be a 4 harness table loom with a 15 inch weaving width. If you can manage the cost, an 8 harness one would take her much farther in design capability, but most weavers start with 4 harnesses and that is enough for a long time. The rigid heddle looms have the equivalent of only 2 harness, which is very limiting.

If you want a small, simple loom to fool with, the weaving cards and a couple of good books would be nice, too. I recommend Candace Crockett's book on the subject. An inkle loom is also nice and extremely portable.

But from your description, I strongly suggest the Schacht table loom.

Actually you can weave on the equivalent of 4 harnesses with a rigid heddle loom. I have a copy of a book on the subject "The Xenakis Technique for the Construction of 4 Harness Textiles" Here is a link that I found to the book. http://www.montanalooms.com/item_detail.php?item=298&category=44

I agree that in some ways a table loom would be better, however they tend to be more expensive and I was not sure exactly what the OP's budjet is.

A book that has a very wide overview of many different kinds of looms and projects is "The Weaving, Spinning, and Dying Book" by Rachel Brown

Actually you can weave on the equivalent of 4 harnesses with a rigid heddle loom. I have a copy of a book on the subject "The Xenakis Technique for the Construction of 4 Harness Textiles" Here is a link that I found to the book. http://www.montanalooms.com/item_detail.php?item=298&category=44

I agree that in some ways a table loom would be better, however they tend to be more expensive and I was not sure exactly what the OP's budjet is.

A book that has a very wide overview of many different kinds of looms and projects is "The Weaving, Spinning, and Dying Book" by Rachel Brown

True! A classic good starter loom would be the Schacht, but you're right, they are more expensive. If the OP goes with the table loom, though, I recommend "Learning to Weave with Debbie Chandler"--the best starter book I know of. Follow up with "The Weaving Book" by Helene Bress if OP's DD really ends up loving this hobby. It's pricey but essentially a study guide.

For card weaving, you don't actually need a loom, just a deck of cards and two points to which to affix the warp (i.e., a chair back and your belt, or 2 chair backs, etc.

:iagree: I second card weaving. Even if you want to make a loom, you can knock one together for about $5. That leaves money left over to buy her a nice card (or tablet) weaving book for inspiration :) It's easy enough that a beginner can make something decent looking, but there are so many different patterns to try and techniques to learn.

:)

Rosie