Menu

Help me with Saxon grading, please!

cheryl h

So I am keeping track of grades this year in earnest, so I want to get it right. I have looked in the solutions manual, the actual books themselves(hs editions) and at Art Reeds website and I can't find anything that tells you how to record grades for the tests. There are 20 problems per test, but some of them have a), b), c), etc. So do I add up all the a), b) etc. and add that on to the total possible, making it 24(for ex.) total possible and count each missed problem as 1 pt? If some of them only had an a) and b) I could count them as 1/2 pt. but some have uneven (up to c) so I can't do that with those. Some problems seem like they should have more weight because they are slightly more complex. This is making me feel really stupid that I can't figure this out, but most things we have used at least tell you what point value to assign to each problem. Did I miss it somewhere, or do I really have to just make up a system by myself? I really hope not. Please help, I really want to get this right.

On tests, each question is worth 5 points. If any part of a test question is wrong, I take off the entire 5 points. Easy! (For me, not the kids. :D )

ETA: This is also what Art Reed recommends in his book, so I suppose it's as "right" as any other grading system.

Edited by Melanie
added information

On tests, each question is worth 5 points. If any part of a test question is wrong, I take off the entire 5 points. Easy! (For me, not the kids. :D )

ETA: This is also what Art Reed recommends in his book, so I suppose it's as "right" as any other grading system.

:iagree:

This is sooooo helpful, thank you. I don't have Art Reed's book, so I only know what he has in his newsletter on the website. It's good to here that he is so good about answering questions, I will maybe go that avenue next time I have a dumb question like that:tongue_smilie:.