Menu

Jensen's Vocabulary or Megawords in 8th grade

Megawords, Jensen's Vocabulary or BOTH?  

1. 1. Megawords, Jensen's Vocabulary or BOTH?

• Megawords only
    • Jensen's Vocabulary only
    • BOTH Megawords and Jensen's Vocabulary

Would you chose one of these or use both in 8th grade? We used Spelling Power for 2 years, but I don't feel like we learned spelling rules adequately. We changed to Megawords this year to learn them. I want to use Jensen's in order to learn roots.

Other 8th grade classes seem to be looking like this:

Lial's Alg. I

CPO Physical Science

TPS English I for composition

Analytical Grammar Season 3

Megawords and/or Jensen's Voc.

LLfrLotR (orally with ds gd.6)

Medieval History

Rosetta Stone Spanish year 3

My oldest has done both. She did Jensen's in 8th and actually loved it. She said the built in repetition actually taught her to recognize the roots in her other reading and figure out what new words mean. I will be using it with her sister in a couple years.

My oldest has done both. She did Jensen's in 8th and actually loved it. She said the built in repetition actually taught her to recognize the roots in her other reading and figure out what new words mean. I will be using it with her sister in a couple years.

Thanks, Kim!

I've always been drawn to Jensen's Vocabulary, but I really am most interested in vocabulary that will prep us for those pesky high school tests. Maybe Jensen's isn't the best for that. So.....

What do you all use for vocab test prep?

Love Mega Words, but have not used Jensen's, so sorry no opinion there. I added Wordly Wise for the Vocabulary. I believe it's the same publisher as Mega Words. Educators Publishing Service. I purchased mine at Rainbow Resource.

Thanks, Holdoll!

I'm beginning to lean towards Megawords only. We definitely need the spelling practice, and I think we'll still have time for Jensen's or something similar for test prep in high school.

I've read on TWTM about vocabulary, but I don't see anything that seems to be overwhelmingly popular..... well, MCT and Megawords maybe..... certainly not Jensen's. Some like it; some don't.

Thanks again!

IMO, a good idea to prepare for vocabulary on the SAT's is to use a roots program like English from the Roots Up. My son used it in concordance with Megawords. He took a standardized test two years ago and scored at upper high school level for vocabulary (he was in 6th grade at the time)!

IMO, a good idea to prepare for vocabulary on the SAT's is to use a roots program like English from the Roots Up. My son used it in concordance with Megawords. He took a standardized test two years ago and scored at upper high school level for vocabulary (he was in 6th grade at the time)!

Thank you, Charlotte!

We have both sets of EftRU, and can definitely incorporate them. I used Vol. 1 with dc a couple of years ago, and we have not used Vol. 2 at all.

They loved EftRU. We also have and enjoy playing Rummy Roots.

I use Megawords and love it too. Yet, you might want to look at this ...

http://dynamichomeschool.com/Exponential-Learning.php

This may be well suited for both of your needs. By breaking up the common roots, prefixes, suffixes, blah blah, the spelling is learned indirectly.

If by the eighth, you have a bad speller. Evaluate how badly that spelling truly is. Can they spell a sound, even phonetically? Is it commonly misspelled words? Get the book and make lists (the book is like 5 dollars). Go vocabulary.

I use Megawords and love it too. Yet, you might want to look at this ...

http://dynamichomeschool.com/Exponential-Learning.php

This may be well suited for both of your needs. By breaking up the common roots, prefixes, suffixes, blah blah, the spelling is learned indirectly.

If by the eighth, you have a bad speller. Evaluate how badly that spelling truly is. Can they spell a sound, even phonetically? Is it commonly misspelled words? Get the book and make lists (the book is like 5 dollars). Go vocabulary.

Thank you, Chrissy!

I have seen this curriculum mentioned recently. I does look wonderful!

I wouldn't say I have a bad speller at all..... yet, it is common to have misspelled words frequently. IOW every paragraph written has a couple or so words that are misspelled when I know she should know better. The problem might also be in the lack of proofing her work. If she proofed her work, she would be able to spot and correct most of her misspelled words. So, I think we just need another year of spelling practice and proof training.

I am definitely still:bigear:. I appreciate all the input!