Menu

Imitrex

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced a burning sensation in their chest after taking imitrex? Nothing major, no shortness of breath or anything else, just a mild burn that comes and goes. It's happened twice now, but the day after taking the drug, and I'm trying to figure out if it is the imitrex or just a coincidence. And I do already have a doctor's appointment, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. :001_huh:

I had an anaphylactic reaction to Imitex that started just like that. I'm not trying to scare you, but please be careful!! Mine happened within an hour of the injection. Reactions can get worse with each dose, so you might want to have some Benadryl on hand if you decide to take it again. And I'm glad you have a doctor's appointment.

Thanks for sharing all your experiences. I've taken it for years, but this is a new twist. Never have liked the drug or the way it makes me feel, but I like it better than the 3-4 days that an untreated migraine steals from me! Interestingly, one of you mentioned the facial burning... I get that sometimes, too, and it does remind me of that same type of sensation. Anyway, I strongly suspect we will be looking into alternate medications at this appointment. . .

My 17 yo daughter takes Imitrex, the generic version. She is fine on the 25mg dose, but when she tried 50mg at once, she said she felt funny. It didn't agree with her.

She hasn't complained of any burning. But everyone reacts different to medications.

Maybe try cutting the dosage? I know the pharmacist said it is safe to cut the pills in half until a dosage is called in.

Maybe try cutting the dosage? I know the pharmacist said it is safe to cut the pills in half until a dosage is called in.

Hmmm, I may try that. I cut the dosage a year or two ago from 100mg to 50 because my throat felt painfully tight at 100. I'm about to get on the horn with the doc and see about getting an alternate to get me through until my appointment.

Imitrex gave me a lot of weird side effects also.

If you're looking for an alternative, and haven't called yet - Axert has worked well for me, and with almost no side effects. Once in a while I feel sleepy and need a nap - but not sure if that is due to the med or just to dealing with a migraine.