Menu

Raw food diet...

I remember reading about another wtm-er who was doing the raw food diet, but now I can't remember who it is! I was 100% for about 9 months a couple years ago, but decided I needed to be lowfat AND raw and I just wasn't getting enough calories, so I stopped. This time, I want to do "high raw" about 75% raw, the rest quinoa, beans and legumes (maybe a cooked sweet potato or two).

Anyone else out there raw, or high raw?

Was high raw for several months last summer here in Australia. Winter did me in- I just went back to cooked. However as the weather warms up here I am heading back towards high raw again but without being too fanatical about it. (Raw foodies can be rather fanatical!). Its one of those things- you don't have to even be high raw to benefit from eating more raw.

I have lots of raw food "cook" books and love to explore new recipes. I have a Thermomix (high power blender that also warms my raw soups to blood temperature) and a dehydrator, so I have all the equipment (even though you dont need equipment, the recipe books tend to require it).

I find going raw I tend to get rather obsessed with food, and rather attracted to raw fats...avocado and coconut. I certainly didnt lose any weight doing raw. Right now I am doing Weight Watchers to count my calories, but eating a very healthy high vegetable diet with it- about half raw. But my body is enjoying the break from the high (healthy) fat diet I normally eat, and I think going high raw would blow that for me and I do so want to lose a little more weight.

I did a period of high raw during my last pregnancy. I felt great, and really enjoyed eating! I have a bit of a thing for sugar, so raw works well for me in that regard... so many yummy, healthy, sweet raw things to enjoy, and they're all a million times better than processed sugar treats.

I keep thinking I want to go high raw again, but it hasn't quite seemed to happen yet. I do find it best to start the day raw and eat cooked later if I want/need it, rather than starting with cooked and then trying to stick to raw. I guess it's a matter of momentum.

We were close to 100% raw this summer -- my daughters loved it, my dh & I enjoyed it for the most part, and my sons hated it. They were always hungry and they didn't enjoy the meals I spent hours chopping/dicing/grating... We all lost weight, which was great for dh & I, but not good for my children -- several of who were underweight to begin with!

So we've strayed back to cooked & baked foods. I love to bake, and it makes me happy that my kids enjoy eating what I make. Plus it's cheaper and everyone (except dds) are happier. Dh and I stopped losing weight though. And I've gained a few back. It is so easy for me to overeat cooked food!! We're still eating vegetarian but I'm buying dairy & eggs again.

I'd like to go back to raw...or more raw anyway. Maybe in the spring... The one thing we all have continued is daily drinking "green lemonade" first thing in the morning -- kale, lettuce, apples and a lemon, all juiced together.

Just rambling! :)

I just want to incorporate it into my regular life. Today I made a green smoothie used 1/2 c milk with ice, water, spinach, blueberries, and banana. Which I guess isn't tecinically part of the raw food philosophy but got to start somewhere. Any good sites or books to get started without spending a fortune at the whole food store for powders and misc things.

Thanks

I just want to incorporate it into my regular life. Today I made a green smoothie used 1/2 c milk with ice, water, spinach, blueberries, and banana. Which I guess isn't tecinically part of the raw food philosophy but got to start somewhere. Any good sites or books to get started without spending a fortune at the whole food store for powders and misc things.

Thanks

I really love Living on Raw Food by Alissa Cohen. I found her DVD really helpful, too. She hosts a great web site and forum called Raw Food Talk.

I also love several of Ani Phyo's books as her recipes are very yummy. She has some great videos on You Tube.