Menu

You guys motivated me to try - Weight Watchers sign in tomorrow...

What do I need to know in advance. What food would be best to stock up on, since I need to grocery shop tomorrow! Thanks.

Vegetables. Stock up on lots of vegetables (not so much potatoes or avocados though). And low GI fruit like apples and blueberries.

I am doing WW at the moment just to lose about 10 pounds (have lost 5 already in 2 weeks) and the only way to do it, I reckon, is to eat a very high bulky vegetable diet. Otherwise...I just get hungry. The Aussie WW has a whole slant on "filling foods" which is what I am focusing on. I am however getting used to feeling actual hunger between meals, which I am sure is actually a good thing but has taken a little getting used to.

I use stevia powder to sweeten my tea because I don't mind the taste and wont touch artificial cancer causing sugar substitutes. I have started buying low fat milk for myself, just for my tea. And...I buy cottage cheese to use on my toast instead of butter (my normal breakfast is an egg on toast with cottage cheese, an orange juice, and 2 cups of tea.

I made myself some sweet snacks for an ocasional treat (dont do that if you couldn't resist eating the whole lot though).

Have fun trying new recipes.

I treat it as a game and I enjoy the whole process. Its very motivating to go and get exercise too- because then you earn more points and you can eat more!

For me I am trying lots of new recipes. Don't get bored. I have been cooking more this week to avoid too many processed foods. If you pm me and give me an email address I will send you some recipes that I have tried.

Lots of luck... Let's get this done:)

Lora in NC

I did WW at the beginning of the year and my breakfast, lunch and snack staples were:

-oatmeal

-frozen berries, use in oatmeal or smoothies

-egg beaters, (I bought at Costco and used in recipes in place of eggs or to make breakfast sandwiches)

-Sandwich Thins, (round bread), 1 pt, use with egg beaters to make breakfast sandwiches or with bean burgers for lunch

-Morningstar Mushroom Lovers burger, 2pt - in frozen section with above bread

-FF mayo

-raw almonds, (I bought in 100 cal packs to avoid overeating)

-WW yogurt

-94% FF popcorn, (I know microwave popcorn is not good for you, but I ate this several times a week and it was so filling)

-lots of fruit, veggies and salad makings, (Walden farms has a FF Cesar salad dressing that is pretty good)

Have fun!

I'm just about to finish my second week and I'm down 6lbs. It feels great! I've been loving 1/2 of a small avocado (2pts) on one of those sandwich thins(1pt). I even get crazy and put on a slice of bacon (1pt), add lettuce, sprouts and tomato and it's a great lunch or dinner. It is delicious and filling!

It has been pretty easy so far. Best wishes!

Meli

Congrats!!! That's the hardest step, just getting motivated to get started, but you'll feel so much better about yourself once you do!

It just so happens I have a "WW Shopping List" I'd saved to my computer years ago. Here it is!

SHOPPING LIST

I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray

PAM cooking spray

Fat Free Italian Dressing or lite salad dressings

extra virgin olive oil

Egg Beaters

Lean Bacon

Lite Mayo

Rice Krispie Treats

Slim A Bear Ice Cream Sandwiches

FF or low fat string cheese

Lite Pancake Syrup

1% or skim Milk

Bottled Water

Diet Soda

Crystal Lite

Reduced Sugar Oatmeal

FF Waffles

Special K Red Berry or other Breakfast Cereals

Lite English Muffins

Lite Bread

Tuna Fish

Turkey Breast

1 or 2% or ff Cheese slices

Lettuce, tomato, baby carrots, celery sticks

Fresh veggies like cauliflower, broccoli etc

Canned veggies like green beans, carrots, spinach etc

Fruit (bananas, grapes, etc)

Special K strawberry snack bars

Snackwells low carb snacks (cookies, chocolate bars etc.- yummy)

FF Chips/Pringles/Pretzels/Saltines etc

FF Hot Chocolate

100 Calorie Packs (cheese nips, choc. chip cookies, wheat thins, oreos etc)

Chicken

Shrimp, Fish

Lite keilbasi

Extra lean ground beef

Low Carb or Wheat or Ronzoni Smart Taste pasta

Kraft shredded f.f. mozzarella and cheddar cheeses

FF pudding cups

FF cool whip

FF sugar free jello

Smart Ones meals and desserts

94% FF high fiber microwave popcorn

Splenda

FF Vanilla stuff for coffee

Healthy Choice or Progesso soups

Lite Yogurt

Oven Fries

Reduced Fat Cottage Cheese

FF Sour Cream

Pickles

FF Caramel Rice Cakes

WW brand snack cakes (probably in the twinkie/devildog aisle lol)

I tried online and did not stick with it. I need the accountability of going each week. I am doing the monthly pass so I get the online tools too. It is only $40 a month. I figure I was wasting that much in eating out:( Everyone is different, so you will have to decide what will work best for you. I am so glad I joined and am on track. I already feel better and know I can do it this time. I love that there are so many on this board follow the WW plan.

Let us know how it goes!

Lora in NC

Vegetables, fruits, lean proteins, and high-fiber carbs. I don't do all of the diet stuff, but just try to eat real food instead. As a pp said, WW has a newer emphasis on "filling foods," which used to be apart of an alternate system (Core,) but the meetings will still often be full of recommendations for fat-free, diet stuff instead of fruits and veggies. I just ignore that. :D

Aldi's Fit and Active brand stuff. Just as good as the WW brand items at a fraction of the cost. The popcorn and fudge bars are a staple here for snacks--both being only 1 point each.

Beyond that:

salad stuff

apples

broccoli

spinach

celery

cabbage

tuna

chicken

broth

low fat cheeses (they aren't that bad!)

low or nonfat yogurt

nonfat cottage cheese

nonfat sour cream (or plain yogurt)

lean meats

chicken breasts

turkey breakfast sausage

turkey pepperoni (if you make your own pizza)

ham, roast beef, turkey lunch meat

Healthy Life brand breads (1 pt per 2 slices)

FF mayo

oatmeal

high-fiber cereals (I like multi-grain cheerios and special K)

skim milk

lowfat buttery spread, if you can stand it. If not, you'll just have to use lesser amounts of real butter

I've been doing WW for about 11 weeks and have lost 18lbs. My breakfasts are usually cold or hot cereal, fruit, and turkey sausages. Lunches are usually soups and sandwiches or big salads, dinners are high in veggies, low in carbs (but I use high-fiber carbs, such as brown rice or brown rice pastas), and medium in lean meats.

WW really isn't hard; you don't have to eliminate anything, you just have to account for it. You learn fast what food are worth the point values to you or not. Good luck!

I'm curious how it went, too! I weigh in again tomorrow (it will be my 9th week on the WW program).

I am 5'7" and I started 9 weeks ago at 237 1/2 lbs! I already kissed the 230's goodbye (thank goodness), and according to a sneak peek on my home scale today (which said 219.8), I think I'll officially be out of the 220's tomorrow! Yay!

Aldi's Fit and Active brand stuff. Just as good as the WW brand items at a fraction of the cost. The popcorn and fudge bars are a staple here for snacks--both being only 1 point each.

Good luck!

thanks for this! My sister lives near an aldi's but she doesn't really know about the store. She will like this as an option.

I am doing it with a friend and we both went. It was a really nice group of ladies. I signed up for the monthly pass. Yesterday (my first day of trying), I ate 2 points fewer than I was allowed!!! I am so hoping that this goes well. Having the point book helps so much! A real eye opener. Hopefully I will make the 5 pound mark in the first week - but I am not holding my breath!! But, day one was very easy. Thanks for the Aldi tip, that's a great help!!d

I am doing it with a friend and we both went. It was a really nice group of ladies. I signed up for the monthly pass. Yesterday (my first day of trying), I ate 2 points fewer than I was allowed!!! I am so hoping that this goes well. Having the point book helps so much! A real eye opener. Hopefully I will make the 5 pound mark in the first week - but I am not holding my breath!! But, day one was very easy. Thanks for the Aldi tip, that's a great help!!d

Good for you! Generally speaking, try not to eat under your points. If you do it consistently, your body is going to get used to having to eat less to lose. And when you reach the maintenance stage you might find yourself forced to maintain on less calories than you otherwise would have been able to :) (I know it's tempting to think well if I eat even LESS I'll lose faster but WW is a healthy and effective program as is so just try to be careful of that way of thinking) :)