Menu

Help me decide what to study in history next year.

5LittleMonkeys

Dd12\7th grade has done Ancients and is doing Middle Ages this year. She has requested doing a traditional sequence for high school and since she dislikes history and doesn't like historical fiction a lot of the options out there aren't options for us. I will be looking for textbooks to use. For high school I will probably use this sequence:

9th - World Geography

10th - World History

11th - US History

12th - American Government/Economics

So, I'm not sure what to have her do next year for 8th. She suggested taking a year off of history.:glare: I don't know that I'm willing to do that but a lighter year doing something a little different wouldn't be bad since we will be concentrating on math, science and writing. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Here's a suggestion.

http://www.christianbook.com/renaissance-reformation-nations-student-volume-3/linda-hobar/9781892427083/pd/427066?item_code=WW&netp_id=529309&event=ESRCN&view=details

I suggest History of Mystery Volume III because this time period comes after the Middle Ages, which she is currently studying. If you don't want to use MOH you may want to find another resource to cover the renaissance and reformation.

Edited by Miss Sherry

Here's a suggestion.

http://www.christianbook.com/renaissance-reformation-nations-student-volume-3/linda-hobar/9781892427083/pd/427066?item_code=WW&netp_id=529309&event=ESRCN&view=details

I suggest History of Mystery Volume III because this time period comes after the Middle Ages, which she is currently studying. If you don't want to use MOH you may want to find another resource to cover the renaissance and reformation.

This looks good. I wish I had looked at it at the beginning of this year...it would have saved my dd a lot of frustration with the list of historical fiction that came with HO. Thanks...I will look into this further.

One year of world history in high school will be FAST... and inevitably touch only on highlights. You could add another year by dividing it into at two years, beginning in 8th, and finishing up in 10th.

Or, you could take the last non-official, non-high-school year and let her choose a topic, issue, period, or aspect of history to explore in depth, for fun. It's one of the last times there will be plenty of room for projects: she could research and sew a historically accurate outfit for herself from a particular period; she could research cooking techniques, menus, etc. and recreate a meal or feast; she could focus on technology, on manuscripts and/or printing technology, art development over time, the history of schools and education...

You could spend a year reading the newspaper. The Dan Riley School For a Girl, an older homeschooling account, tells the story of a middle-schooler and her father; one of the things they did was read the newspaper together, every morning (not the whole paper, but selected articles and aspects of it). You could tour a newspaper office, interview a writer or photographer, compare the newspaper to the visual news, etc.

This looks good. I wish I had looked at it at the beginning of this year...it would have saved my dd a lot of frustration with the list of historical fiction that came with HO. Thanks...I will look into this further.

You may want to try to find it used on the for sale or WTB:want to buy boards here. You can save a few bucks that way. I've found several items here on the used curriculum boards.

One year of world history in high school will be FAST... and inevitably touch only on highlights. You could add another year by dividing it into at two years, beginning in 8th, and finishing up in 10th.

This has given me an idea. I too was thinking that one year for World History is not enough. She has to have 1 credit in World History OR Geography, so maybe I could do Geography in 8th and do World History in 9th and 10th. In conjunction with geography she could study the history of mythology geographically and the history of the horse geographically too. (Two of her passions.)

I would love for her to venture into some of the other things you mentioned (you always have the best ideas), but she has a very narrow focus on what she likes and is willing to spend time on. My dd11 would be one to dabble in many different things but not dd12. She has only a few things that she concentrates on ...but she does those few things really, really well.

I keep going back and looking at that Mystery of History too. It's hard to pick just one thing.:tongue_smilie: