Menu

Shopping for a van

If you have had experience with a van that was very reliable or one that needed lots of work please name names - make and model.

We've had a Dodge Grand Caravan that has needed lots of work. Don't want to get another one if that is typical.

Love my Toyota Sienna. Love, love, love it. Haven't had any problems with it.

If you have had experience with a van that was very reliable or one that needed lots of work please name names - make and model.

We've had a Dodge Grand Caravan that has needed lots of work. Don't want to get another one if that is typical.

Our '95 Grand Caravan is on its 5th tranny and in the shop for speed sensors (thankfully under warranty), we are currently shopping for a used Sienna.

We have a 94 Toyota Previa with 210K miles, and have had no major problems with it, and only a few general repairs.

I used to want a Sienna, but I've got two friends with them and it doesn't sound like they handle well in snow. I've only slipped in the Previa 3 times in the past 8 years, and we get snow every year where I live.

Guest mrsjamiesouth
Love my Toyota Sienna. Love, love, love it. Haven't had any problems with it.

:iagree: All of my friends are envious of my trunk space, even with all the seats up.

Our Toyota Sienna's almost 10 years old, but it's doing well. Normal repairs, but nothing hideous. I really like it.

Oh, except: the sliding door on one side is missing its handle. It just fell off one day. I know someone else with a Sienna of the same age that had the same thing happen. Still locks, you can still open it from the inside, but . . . there you go. Every vehicle's gotta have its quirks, I guess.

We have had our 1991 Toyota Previa since 1995.

Nearly repair-free, with 260K mileage now.

Today, we bought a clean 2004 Toyota Sienna with 50K miles, for $13K.

We are not expecting 15 MORE trouble-free years ahead . . . but we are happy with our Toyota experience.

(We also have a 1988 Toyota 1/2 ton pickup truck, which we bought new & still is giving us very faithful daily service.) Can't praise OUR Toyota experience enough. We would have bought another Previa, if we could have found a clean one regionally.

Another "unbiased" resource is the Car Talk Guys: http://www.cartalk.com

A few months ago I would have said I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Sienna too. And, then the side air bag light went off and it was in the shop for 40 days and Toyota was not fun to deal with. They have a service bulletin - like a recall I guess - so luckily it was covered. But, the parts were backordered forever! I don't think I would buy another Toyota now as the customer service was not good and sooo many problems with them... and I have loved toyota!

HATED my Plymouth Voyager--in the shop ALL THE TIME. I can't remember the year, though. It was late '90s.

LOVE my 2001 Honda Odyssey. Totally.

:iagree:

We always buy Odysseys that are several years old for $5K, and so far have had wonderful experiences. The trunk space (in the 2001) is SO much bigger than our 1997's trunk space was. It is also a lot bigger than the Toyota's.

We have an '05 Sienna that we love. When we were shopping for vans before our 4th was born, we were deciding between a Toyota and a Honda, but I thought that the Toyota was more comfortable. Ours does handle snow well--and we have plenty of it here.

We have had three minivans:

96 Ford Windstar: A lemon. Awful. (Bought new and traded in after less than two years.) Will NEVER buy a Ford minivan again. The trade-in speaks to my frustration level--I typically run cars until they die.

97 Chrysler Town and Country: Great. A workhorse. Lasted 11 years. (Bought very gently used.) But Chryslers are not what they were--not sure I would buy one again.

07 Honda Odyssey: Great so far. Running strong. (Bought very gently used--we have had it almost two years.)