Menu

Need spelling advice for a 2nd grader

Disney Dreaming

I have a second grade dd that is naturally a strong speller. We are working in Spelling Workout B and it is very easy for her. I test her every week and the most she ever misses is 1(out of 10), but usually she gets them all right. Any suggestions for something a little more challenging that is really cheap? I have heard of some doing dictation, anyone want to explain what they do?

If you like the Spelling Workout, why don't you just test her through the Lessons without her actually doing the written work, until you find where she's beginning to struggle a bit and then go from there?

We use SW and we really like it. First time around, about 18months ago, I just did a massive spelling test to see where to place my dds - they weren't great spellers so at 7 and 9 they started out with my 7yo on the early lessons of Book A and my 9yo halfway through Book B. They do a lesson a week (pretty much).

HTH

If you like the Spelling Workout, why don't you just test her through the Lessons without her actually doing the written work, until you find where she's beginning to struggle a bit and then go from there?

We use SW and we really like it. First time around, about 18months ago, I just did a massive spelling test to see where to place my dds - they weren't great spellers so at 7 and 9 they started out with my 7yo on the early lessons of Book A and my 9yo halfway through Book B. They do a lesson a week (pretty much).

HTH

Great advice, thank you