Menu

Help! My dd is now a pre-teen!

Some switch was flipped in her a couple of weeks ago. It was like she aged right before my eyes. And she is driving me up the wall. I read a short article on characteristics of pre-teens this week, and it helped me be a little more patient with her. She's normal for her age, not just some monster sent to torment me. ;) That was a relief.

So, now I want to read more. I'd love to have a non-contentious relationship with this very bright, very stubborn, very opinionated girl. Do you have any book recommendations?

No, suggestions...but I feel your pain. One moment she is a little girl...the next she is stomping up the stairs and "forcefully" shutting her door.

She's started to put together really cute outfits, but still manges to forget to brush her hair :D

It's fun and frustrating!!

Does anyone have any good books that they've read?

No, but if you do - or if anyone has - please shout out! My 11yo is driving me batty! One minute she's the most delightful, helpful member of the family and then suddenly we have this stroppy, frustrated snip-mouth carving everyone up. :cursing: Well if she's the former, I'm definitely :banghead:

Some switch was flipped in her a couple of weeks ago. It was like she aged right before my eyes. And she is driving me up the wall. I read a short article on characteristics of pre-teens this week, and it helped me be a little more patient with her. She's normal for her age, not just some monster sent to torment me. ;) That was a relief.

So, now I want to read more. I'd love to have a non-contentious relationship with this very bright, very stubborn, very opinionated girl. Do you have any book recommendations?

No, suggestions...but I feel your pain. One moment she is a little girl...the next she is stomping up the stairs and "forcefully" shutting her door.

She's started to put together really cute outfits, but still manges to forget to brush her hair :D

It's fun and frustrating!!

Does anyone have any good books that they've read?

What I want to know is how my dd9 ended up at your house:tongue_smilie:

Its good to know that at least we are not alone in dealing with this!

Welcome to the world of living with raging female hormones!! My daughters in the middle of puberty and I'm in perimenopause which according to my doctor puts my hormones at the same level as my daughters. No wonder the guys in the family are in hiding! It's not pretty.

Well, at least I can take comfort in hearing that they're all like this. :blink:

I am, too. :001_smile:

Welcome to the world of living with raging female hormones!! My daughters in the middle of puberty and I'm in perimenopause which according to my doctor puts my hormones at the same level as my daughters. No wonder the guys in the family are in hiding! It's not pretty.

:D This is us, too. My dh has been tip-toeing around here for two weeks out of the month since dd started having her period the week right after mine. I just told him to be patient, I should be in menopause by the time dd goes to college. He was not amused. :lol:

I'd love to have a non-contentious relationship with this very bright, very stubborn, very opinionated girl. Do you have any book recommendations?

This describes my 12-yo to a T. I have a great relationship with her- but then, she goes to ps now. I think if I were homeschooling her I would be looking for books also.;)

So glad I am not alone. My 10 year old is driving me crazy! Recently I took her with me to walk the dog so we could have a heart to heart about the fact that we have been fighting so much lately. I asked her why she thought we were fighting so much and her answer "Because I am growing up and you don't want me to." So not the answer I was going for. I was hoping she was going to say it was because of her attitude. We did discuss her growing up and things she could do to help me realize she can do the things she is asking to do. The fighting was less for a couple of days.

:cheers2: We're in this stage, too. Unfortunately. I've been making mine "work out" and it's really been helping - a LOT. She can walk on my treadmill (with supervision), lift the 5 pound weights or do one of the yoga DVDs. I started this because she (normally a great kid) was getting really frustrated at everything. She walked up to me one day and just KICKED me. (and she's TALL too - she's 4'6" and I'm only 5'2") She hasn't done something like this since she was a toddler! I was really shocked. I started reading about preteens and somewhere it said that exercise helps with their frustrations.

So, ironically, it seems like I'm having my gigantic 9 yro "bulk up" so she can really kick my butt in a couple of years...:D:D:D Great.

Oh, another thing...the second I get the "I'm bored" song, it's work time. So far, she's helped my husband change the brakes on his truck, change the brake cylinder on his truck, she's pulled weeds and planted some flowers, she'll do laundry and she loves to try to cook.

:cheers2: We're in this stage, too. Unfortunately. I've been making mine "work out" and it's really been helping - a LOT. She can walk on my treadmill (with supervision), lift the 5 pound weights or do one of the yoga DVDs. I started this because she (normally a great kid) was getting really frustrated at everything. She walked up to me one day and just KICKED me. (and she's TALL too - she's 4'6" and I'm only 5'2") She hasn't done something like this since she was a toddler! I was really shocked. I started reading about preteens and somewhere it said that exercise helps with their frustrations.

Great idea. My dh is trying to get me to sign our dc up for an after school rock climbing league in our area. I am coming around to it, b/c I think it would be a great outlet for energy, while also being a confidence booster for my dd in particular.

No book recommendations, but lots of hugs.

I find what works best is lots and lots of grace and timeouts. For mom. ;)

I have 2 preteens jumping into the pool of hormones as we speak, and one teen that is just beginning to make her way out of the deep end. Lots of estrogen at our house. My dh just walks around looking shell shocked..lol. (he's still trying to grasp the idea of girls bursting into tears over something that was funny to them a few days ago)