Menu

IPOD alternative

My dd wants an IPod for Christmas, but after checking on Amazon, there is no way that is in our budget. Anyone know of some other sort of electronic doodad that she might like that is a bit less expensive?

(she's not too interested in the music, the little games are what she is wanting.)

You mean she wants an itouch for apps and games? You can get a refurbished 8gig for $149 on the apple store. A Nintendo DS is $129 and you'd pay $30/game as opposed to $1-$5/ game with the touch.

:iagree:

We've been very happy with our refurbished iPods. If she's not interested in the music, but mainly the apps/games, make sure that whatever you purchase has a lot of good ones to choose from.

My dd actually uses her iPod for school. She listens to her history book (Hakim, bought from Audible). She listens to other audio books, like historical fiction. She listens to songs in French for her French class. She memorized the Preamble to the Constitution after watching the School House Rock video. She watches craft how-to videos like Threadbanger which have really increased her skills at knitting and such. Lately, she's been drawing, having learnt some techniques from an iTunes U course (through, I think, Open University in the UK).

So I'd go with an iPod (or equivalent) over a GameBoy-type system any day.

If all she wants it for are games, why not just get her a hand held gaming system?

My dd actually uses her iPod for school. She listens to her history book (Hakim, bought from Audible). She listens to other audio books, like historical fiction. She listens to songs in French for her French class. She memorized the Preamble to the Constitution after watching the School House Rock video. She watches craft how-to videos like Threadbanger which have really increased her skills at knitting and such. Lately, she's been drawing, having learnt some techniques from an iTunes U course (through, I think, Open University in the UK).

So I'd go with an iPod (or equivalent) over a GameBoy-type system any day.

Plus, like I said, a Nintendo DS is only $20 cheaper and those games are $20-$30 a pop.

Plus, like I said, a Nintendo DS is only $20 cheaper and those games are $20-$30 a pop.

Right. The iTunes U videos are free, Threadbanger is a free video podcast, the Preamble cost us less than $2, the French songs were emailed by her teacher on mp3, our library can "loan" audio books for free over the internet.

The Hakim was more - I pay about $15 a month to Audible, for which I can download about a book a month - still a very reasonable price.

The iPod doesn't need batteries (it charges from the computer or a wall jack if you have one).

We had the same issue last year. We opted for an 8G Sony from Toys R Us last year. It STILL runs, works great, stores photo and plays short video too (doesn't take photo or video, just plays), has AM/FM radio and is super easy to use. You can get 50 hours of play before recharging it (wall or through USB cord to computer).

Toys R Us has them this week for $59.99. I highly recommend. You can attach and play through any base or speakers with a cord.