Menu

Irresponsible dog owner/neighbors...what to do?

The cat thread prompted me to bring this up. We have neighbors who go through dogs like kleenex. A year ago, due to malnutrition and some type of illness, their dog came and died under our porch. I was pg and dh was out of town on business. I really didn't know if they'd take care of their responsibility and come and get him but they did. <blech>

Here we are now. They have a dog that wants to spend all his time at our home. This is at least their 4th dog in as many years. A month ago he killed one of our chickens. Dh, being nice, called and asked them to please come get him. They did. He was back by the next a.m. He won't go away. We don't feed him so I don't know where he gets his food. I make the kids bring our dog in to feed him so that maybe their dog will go home. He is on our front porch as we speak, and we just found out yesterday that the family who owns him got another dog yesterday!! They've basically pawned him off on us, taking no responsibility for him at all. :glare:

Ds' b.b. gun is broken or I'd just start popping him to get him out of here. I don't trust that he'll be safe with our children. We have gone beyond the line of neighborly by not either shooting him for killing our livestock (we are definitely within our rights) or taking him to the shelter. I'm not overly thrilled with the idea of having to pay to take him to a shelter, but that's probably our only option. WWYD?

Well, I'm the one who thought that it's ok for cats to roam, as here it is. They are not under leash law, in Oregon. BUT, dogs are! So, here, you can "catch" a dog and call animal control. It's better here to call animal control because you can't be charged with "kidnapping" the dog. If you take them in, you can't prove they were on your property. Some places will send out "animal control" to catch dogs. If you have record of how often the dog has been over, that may help. Do you have a fenced yard? I wouldn't want to start shooting animals, not because it's not your right... but in this case, I'd be leery that they'd be likely to turn violent and shoot something of mine... and... with you having kids and all... it doesn't work to make neighbors angry.

You'd have to be really brave, but have you seen the book Peacemakers? It has an example of neighbors with a dog problem. It seems like it may be worth thinking about doing the neighborly thing, if at all possible. (It's basically, "We've noticed a situation we were wondering if we could work out with you." In the book.. if I remember right, the man actually helped them relocate their kennel... and other things.. BUT, it solved the problem and built bridges for friendships.." I know... easier said than done.... just a thought.

We live in the country so we are outside the limits for animal control. I have called the local shelter. It is only $10 per dog. I may do that. It is a kill shelter, which I am not overly fond of, but I can't have another dog here. We have enough issues out here with people just dumping dogs without me having to care for a neighbor's dog while feeding our own and running off the dropped dogs. I have a 4yo and 7yo who love to play outside. There is another neighbor whose dog comes over here sometimes as well. I don't trust a group of dogs outside with my boys.

Living in the country has taken a lot of my animal empathy away!! And people like this just frustrate me!! We have a dog. He has his own yard plus is brought inside. Why can't others do the same?

:iagree:Yup, every single time. Either animal control or the SPCA. Every watch Animal Cops?

Agreed. My biggest concern, actually, would be that any pet owners who are that irresponsible are probably also not getting the dog proper vet care. Even if it seemed sweet, I wouldn't want that dog anywhere near my kids or my dogs, for fear of parasites, at the very least.

Truly, I think the kindest thing you can do for the dog at this point is to call animal control and hope that it will be successfully re-homed. If you have a good enough relationship with your neighbors, you could certainly try telling them first, but if they didn't make some effort to keep the dog on their property, I'd definitely have him picked up.

ETA: Oops. I just read that Animal Control wasn't an option for you. Bummer. Well, if it were me, I'd probably pay the $10 shelter fee and hope it would give the dog a chance at a life. It's rotten that you're in that position, but it's way cheaper than keeping another dog! I know I wouldn't be able to look at a hungry dog on my porch for long before I'd be feeding it.

What a sad situation! So sorry you're having to deal with it.

SBP

Edited by SBP

I would tell your neighbors that you need to work this situation out in a way that works for everyone. Ideally, they will do so (mine did!). However, you need to be clear and firm also. For example, I did tell my neighbor I would have to call animal control. I know that isn't an option in your case, but whatever it.

If they can't take care of the dog, you may offer to take the dog to the shelter for them (let them know they need to pay you for that, even if they need to pay it out).

I'm not overly thrilled with the idea of having to pay to take him to a shelter, but that's probably our only option. WWYD?

Have you called animal control to come pick him up ? I doubt you would have to pay but you may want to call to find out. I know that here if you call animal control you do not pay. When the owner's go to pick up their animal from Animal Control they have to pay to get it back. Also, if someone here let's an animal roam around they can be given fines to pay for that.

If I were you I would call animal control every time the dog is off of the owner's property. That is, if you have animal control in your area.

You pay to turn in strays? I have never heard of that. That would be terrible. I feel so bad for strays and out here it is an all the time thing. They are cold, dirty, hungry it is just sad really. I hate to see an animal put down but in my heart I know that is better than a slow painful death they may get out on the road. I feel bad for you and I guess the only thing is to talk to the neighbors and can you file a report with animal control? That way if something (God forbid) happens it will be documented the neighbors are bad pet owners? I am so sorry for everyone who is dealing with this drama.

I would call animal control every time I found the dog at my house.

:iagree:

We are dealing presently with a nusiance barking dog.

Our alderman told us to telephone the police every time the dog barks continuously (when the owner leaves him home alone) and is a nuisance.