Menu

Homeschoolers in Missouri- and others?

I think it is a non-issue. The article goes on to say that Matt Simmons is not against home schooling.

I'm not sure which part of MO Matt Simmons is running, but I know that the state of the public schools in St. Louis is appalling! Most public officials that I know of do not send their kids to public schools. When I lived there, almost anyone with the means to do so sent their kids to private schools or homeschooled. I knew families that scraped by on almost nothing in order to send their kids to private schools. There is a large homeschooling community in STL, and I image they will stand up for their rights if need be.

Edited by missmoe

I think it is a non-issue. The article goes on to say that Matt Simmons is not against home schooling.

I'm not sure which part of MO Matt Simmons is running, but I know that the state of the public schools in St. Louis is appalling! Most public officials that I know of do not send their kids to public schools. When I lived there, almost anyone with the means to do so sent there kids to private schools or homeschooled. I knew families that scraped by on almost nothing in order to send their kids to private schools. There is a large homeschooling community in STL, and I image they will stand up for their rights if need be.

I think he's running from Dardenne Prairie, a fairly nice suburb of St. Louis. They have good public and private schools out there.

I'm surprised he wasted his campaign dollars on an ad like that. Education isn't a key issue during this election. Try jobs. I'm sure he just lost the vote of families homeschooling until they can afford Catholic school tuition again.

I saw this article and though I am sure you know about this I wanted to share it before Nov 2. Is this a big issue for other areas right now? We haven't heard anything about it here, yet. :001_huh:

Very thoughtful of you, wy_kid. I am not in that district, but I have been hearing about the ad.

I don't think it's a big issue. I think Mr. Simmons is picking on Kurt Bahr's homeschooling stance because it's the only thing about Mr. Bahr that is different from a lot of his constituents. Mr. Simmons can't find anything of substance to criticize him for! And he may not realize that homeschooling is very common in this area, and that many people probably know (and like!) someone who homeschools.

He's wrong when he says public education is the foundation of *our* children's lives--it isn't the foundation of MY children's lives! What IS the foundation of my children's lives is their parents' freedom to choose how they are educated.

It was funny that he misspelled a word in an ad about education, but I think drawing attention to that says more about the author of the article than about Mr. Simmons.