Menu

Connecting history study to bible truths

Stellalarella

Hello! We are enjoying our study of history through Story of the World. Currently we are in volume 2, The Middle Ages. I am desiring to supplement this material with more connections to bible truth, for all my kids of course, but in particular for my DS12. NO way, man, can I take on a total curriculum change. :) Any suggestions you have about how to supplement while still using STOW as the spine would be great! :bigear:

If you want to connect with church history events and lean in a Protestant direction might I suggest

Monks & Mystics: Chronicles of the Medieval Church

or there is

100 Most Important Events in Church History. These readings are short and perfect for summaries. I'm having my 11yo make her own 3x5 card summaries of each event and she keeps them on a metal ring.

I think pulling church history into SOTW makes it easier to focus on the Biblical truths.

Ultimately, this is why we chose to go with Mystery of History. It pulls church history and secular history together making life easier for me. We still enjoy the above books though.

I use the activity guide ($10) of Diana Waring for this. It is great. Talks about specific verses to go with the chapter. And has fun activities, too. Actually I am not using SOTW 2 anymore because it does not have any connection to the Bible and it presents all religions as the same.

There is also another book for older kids, The CHurch in History - has a lot of lives of missionaries, as Christianity spread in the middle ages.

Biblioplan also uses SOTW and includes church history (though I haven't looked hard at that time period... I'll be using Ancients, and it definitely has the Biblical history tied into the SOTW stuff). It's basically a WTM-inspired schedule/reading plan, and it also has parent notes that are handy (a little more info about Biblical stuff), though I think for the time period you're talking about, they don't have parent notes yet. :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, you can check out the samples on their site: http://biblioplan.net

Monks & Mystics: Chronicles of the Medieval Church

or there is

100 Most Important Events in Church History. These readings are short and perfect for summaries. I'm having my 11yo make her own 3x5 card summaries of each event and she keeps them on a metal ring.

We have also enjoyed these along with Mystery of History (MOH). We also used Trial and Triumph: Stories from Church History

I will check out biblioplan. Anybody else want to weigh in on biblioplan or on Diana Waring or Mystery of History vol. 2?

I would love to hear some reviews of the Diana Waring audio content--

We did SOTW Ancients last year, switched to MOH Vol.2, this year, and we love, love, love it for so many reasons. First and foremost for the Bible history, activities are right there in the book with the lessons so you don't have to have a separate activity guide, and did I mention the Bible history?:) I do feel like we have found the history curric. that we will stick with through grade 8, and you could even adapt it for older kids as a spine maybe.

We have been having dd12 and ds10 do narrations from their supplemental readings in The Story of Christianity: A Celebration of 2000 Years of Faith by DK. It's been a perfect companion to MOH Vol.2, and I look forward to looking into the two books suggested by Daisy too.

I will check out biblioplan. Anybody else want to weigh in on biblioplan or on Diana Waring or Mystery of History vol. 2?

I would love to hear some reviews of the Diana Waring audio content--

Andrea,

DW's audio was one of the first homeschooling purchases I made around 10 years ago and it has been one of the best. She has a lot of enthusiasm and my oldest son enjoyed listening to her long before he understood all that she was talking about (i.e. as a preschooler he begged for his history tapes!) I credit her audio for his love and understanding of history now. We have listened to her "What in the World's Going On Here?" for all time periods over and over again. I think those would be enough for a start without the other cds (True Tales, Digging Deeper).

Btw, he is also enjoying Peril and Peace (and Monks and Mystics) this year, so I'm sure those would be good options too.

Andrea,

DW's audio was one of the first homeschooling purchases I made around 10 years ago and it has been one of the best. She has a lot of enthusiasm

The enthusiasm was too intense for my liking. She does provide some good references in passing for further reading. We only have the audio CDs.

MFW incorporates church history with SOTW. Maybe some of their resources would work for you.

What I like about combining MFW and SOTW is that the actual Bible is used by MFW as a historical document, rather than summaries of Bible stories. Even before I was using MFW, I still used the Bible as a core history source. If you are past the Biblical time frame (past Rome), then I agree that MFW resources work well alongside SOTW (which doesn't include much Biblical, Christian, or even American history).

I haven't used Biblioplan, but that sounds like the only other one that uses SOTW, if you want to use that? As far as others that don't use SOTW...

MOH does have some good connections, but it retells Bible stories (although it then says you "can" go read it again in the Bible). I tried it and my son thought it was better to read the original source.

Diana Waring suggests different Biblical passages, and builds some real excitement about the connections, but I didn't feel as firm a grounding as to the child understanding exactly where in the Bible we were finding these connections? Maybe it was me.

I've read some of the church history books mentioned, but they are post-Biblical. Not sure if that's where you're starting, but I always have felt that history must start at the beginning, with God creating the world and man falling away from God -- otherwise history doesn't make sense to me. I started my older dd with Beautiful Feet, but then realized that we had started with Abraham and missed the core reason for all of the failures through history.

Julie