Menu

Son has to look nice before all games, need help...

I have to admit my oldest son doesn't have any dressy dress clothes. You know slacks and nice button down shirts. He is all about skater looks and such. So, my question is what should I get him to wear?

Okay here is the deal he is ps and the basketball coach told them they have to dress up nicely before every game. So, does this mean slacks, button down shirt and tie? Or can I cut out the tie? Not sure what dress up nicely consists of but, I know it is not his skull t shirts and jeans that is for sure.

Thank you for any help.

Off the top of my head, I would say nice slacks (not jeans - nothing faded or ripped) - with a crease. Maybe not cargo pants as the pockets tend to make them look less than neat. Long sleeve button down shirt or perhaps a rugby shirt tucked in. A belt.

DS10 has such a 'uniform' - bought it all at Wal-Mart - quality fine for what we need, he looks like a million $$$$$ for probably less than $25.00.....probably, as I think about it, less than $20.

Well this morning I am limited to Amazon. He has a game on Thursday and the weather here is bad with the closest walmart about 100 miles away. lol

Okay so for boys pleated or flat front slacks?????? I figure black would probably be best since so much can be worn with it right?

Well, we've had sports team dress codes like:

Khakis and a polo shirt, sneakers OK

Khakis and polo shirt, no sneakers

Dress pants & button down shirt, no tie needed, no sneakers

Dress pants or khakis, shirt & tie, no sneakers (this is the most common.)

So my advice is to get specific info from the coach.

(As an aside, my DS the ice hockey goalie was so superstitious he wore the same pants, button down, tie and shoes for an entire season. It was a team joke. :lol:)

Well this morning I am limited to Amazon. He has a game on Thursday and the weather here is bad with the closest walmart about 100 miles away. lol

Okay so for boys pleated or flat front slacks?????? I figure black would probably be best since so much can be worn with it right?

If he is thin, either would be fine. If he is thicker thru the waist, I'd go with flat front.

Try to get no-iron.

(As an aside, my DS the ice hockey goalie was so superstitious he wore the same pants, button down, tie and shoes for an entire season. It was a team joke. :lol:)

I love it!:001_smile: dd11 is lacrosse goalie -- i know she has 'lucky' stuff.:D

To OP:

Before you order anything, ask the coach -- khaki might make more sense than black just b/c it tends to be more available and you won'r have to worry about lint in the dryer - can go into spring and warmer months more easily than black. And, then order away based on what he tells you - or ask another of the moms.

I hear you about the walmart being far away - we are in northern virginia -- there are 7 starbucks within a 3 mile radius of my house.:glare: We were at my sister's house in NJ over the weekend (south jersey - NOT north jersey) -- my kids wanted to know what an ACME was.....and what Wa-Wa was.:001_huh:

Personally, I don't know that I would chose black or another dark color if I will be washing the pants and they are cotton material. Real dress slacks in dark colors would hold up fine, but dh's cotton ones fade quickly and then just don't look right later.

Can you call another parent to make certain that you are looking for the right items?

She is not being specific at all. Only that if they don't dress up they don't get to play. Oh...I so did not think about shoes. I just got done buying a pair of $100 basketball shoes now I need ones for his nice outfit...crap.

Lands End? If you are not being given specifics I would say Khaki pants, long sleeve button down shirt, merrells or merrell-look-alike for shoes. White or light blue shirt, khaki pants, black or light tan merrells, socks, belt.....tie or no tie......buy a tie.......it won't go bad. Sleeveless pull over sweater vest always adds a nice touch with or without a tie.

I did not think of that. See in elementary school they don't need to dress up here. Now that he is at the middle/high school they do. Also since he is in basketball, wrestling, and baseball I better get the khaki. Thank you for the good point.

Lands End? If you are not being given specifics I would say Khaki pants, long sleeve button down shirt, merrells or merrell-look-alike for shoes. White or light blue shirt, khaki pants, black or light tan merrells, socks, belt.....tie or no tie......buy a tie.......it won't go bad. Sleeveless pull over sweater vest always adds a nice touch with or without a tie.

Every time you post I remember something else. lol I have to get a nice belt also. I think his spike studded belt won't go over well. Wow my son really doesn't have any dress up clothes. :glare:

She is not being specific at all. Only that if they don't dress up they don't get to play. Oh...I so did not think about shoes. I just got done buying a pair of $100 basketball shoes now I need ones for his nice outfit...crap.

Wow. That's tough. Maybe she thinks she is being helpful by leaving it more open.

If he doesn't have shoes now, just have him wear the cleanest, darkest pair of sneakers. Or borrow dad's shoes. :lol:

But don't forget to pack/bring his b-ball sneakers to the game. :tongue_smilie:

I did not think of that. See in elementary school they don't need to dress up here. Now that he is at the middle/high school they do. Also since he is in basketball, wrestling, and baseball I better get the khaki. Thank you for the good point.

I agree with the khaki. I didn't want to stress you out anymore with my "black pants look like a waiter if you wear a white shirt" theory. :lol:

Every time you post I remember something else. lol I have to get a nice belt also. I think his spike studded belt won't go over well. Wow my son really doesn't have any dress up clothes. :glare:

:iagree:

The good thing is he will wear what you are buying today until he outgrows it.:lol: And, with boys, that means it will last for what? An hour or two?:glare::lol:

I call it ds' 'uniform' and he only turned 10 yesterday. He uses it for co-op (held in a church - they must dress 'appropriately), going to church, singing in choir when they are not wearing choir robes, and whenever else he needs to look 'that' way.

One outfit --lots of wear. You might want to get more than one shirt if your ds will be traveling on consecutive days, kwim? And, maybe, get more than one pair of pants for the same reason - traveling two days in a row. And, not trying to beat a dead horse, walmart.com --- maybe one set of pants/shirt from lands end, and a spare set from W/M - they carry slim which is why I go there for my ds. But, one tie, one belt, one sweater vest (optional) and yes, black sneakers will serve the same purpose as a pair of merrills - but they must be ALL black.....look like dress shoes that way. I've had luck in Target with that.....but if you must catalog it -- definitely lands end.......or LL Bean.

Adjustable interior waist is an absolute necessity with my skinny little man. That is such a given when I purchase pants for him that I didn't even think to mention it -- notice I remembered the belt, though. Adjustable interior waist AND a belt.;)

totally agree, especially when I am hoping that the pants will get handed down to little brother who is even skinnier than big bro - adj waist is the only pants I buy now!

Thank you ladies. I just placed my order and it will be here tomorrow. I got a button down shirt, polo shirt, slacks (khaki), and a belt for now. I will let him pick the shoes or I might end up wasting money there if I don't.

Many 14 year olds have very definite ideas on what they will and won't wear. I'd have him check out the clothes on order. Maybe boys are different though. :) Since age five, I can buy anything I like, but that doesn't mean it will make it out of the drawer. I learned the hard way. :tongue_smilie: