Menu

How many college visits are too many??

brendafromtenn

My sister, who by the way has never understood this whole homeschool thing that we do, was fussing at me on Saturday. (Big sisters, you know....:tongue_smilie:)

We have made our "first visits" to many of the colleges that DS is interested in going to. Most of these were made back in the spring or early fall.And most were the "Ra Ra-Preview days".

Now, we have narrowed down the choices and would like to go back to the top 3 and just see what a "normal" day on the campus is like. So, more of a private visit, instead of a preview day.

Dear sister said, "Noone goes back for that many visits, Brenda. You are going to turn off the admissions staff." In other words, bother them.

So, how many visits ARE too many?:confused:

I really thought that what we were doing was normal procedure around here on the WTM board, but just thought I would clarify this.

Blessings,

Brenda

See if the colleges you son is interested in offer a 'student for a day' program. Many (most?) do. My dd went and found it a really good opportunity to see what things were really like.

It is best to visit once classes have been going for a while but not during mid-terms or exams. I'd say now through Thanksgiving would probably work for semester-long courses.

HTH

Moira

See if the colleges you son is interested in offer a 'student for a day' program. Many (most?) do. My dd went and found it a really good opportunity to see what things were really like.

#1 did that too where they have them stay w/a student, eat in the cafe & generally "live the life" for a day.

IMO, your sister is just being a big sister--always right, at least in her mind. :tongue_smilie:;)

You aren't going to turn off college admission's personel. They eagerly look for students who are doing their research and want to be in an institution that is the right fit for them.

When dd was considering Cedarville University, we attended one of their "C - U - Friday" events. They were very weel organized. We had a tour of the campus in a small group, ate in the cafeteria, observed some classes, talked with professors, etc. and attended chapel. It was a great weekend to get a feel for the campus. We loved it and so did dd. They really wanted her to come but it would have required a large second mortgage to keep her there for four years, so she didn't go.

I think you are going the right thing. You can't visit too much.

Faith

One school REQUIRED a second visit of interested students - they did an interview and then sent the kid to sit in on one or two classes.

The school ds ended up at - We randomly visited in spring. Then went twice more - they had a scholarship day and later an Honors interview day - so three visits total. DS was also invited to attend classes for a day but did not want to make a fourth visit!

More than one visit - shows them you are REALLY serious about attending (and thus more likely to accept them if they accept you!)

Ummmm, every school my son was interested in encouraged students to come back and attend classes, spend the night, go to events on campus, etc., etc. They can get a much better feel for the school in that way and the schools feel that they are more serious applicants if they're taking the time to do this, too.....

That is exactly what I thought, but just wanted to make sure that we were moving in the right direction. We have had lots of admission folks calling and saying..."So, when is he coming back to visit again?" So, I was just taken a back when she made this comment.

A long time ago in the 80's, my sister was a high school guidance counselor. So, I do listen when she tells me things. However, it has been a long time since she had that position.

Thanks, y'all.....

Blessings,

Brenda:001_smile:

or as much as her/your time and budget will allow. ;) Dd only had the luxury of visiting two of her choices once, as they were on opposite coasts and airfare was a big deal.

When it came down to making her final choice, she visited one campus for a third time, arranging her own overnight stay with a student, as that college was the only one which didn't offer that service to seriously interested prospects. (And, by that time she had been offered one of their major scholarships, so I think admissions had been notified. LOL!)

Even though we had already done thorough campus visits, met and interviewed the key profs she'd be working with, and otherwise done our due diligence, it took one last visit, imagining herself there, for her to be able to make up her mind. She made the road trip alone, so she got a great feel for what it would be like to be a student coming back and forth.

One visit...that's old school! : )