Menu

Has anyone here "had their eyes done", or know someone who has?

My eyelids, especially my right one, are sagging. My right lid literally sits on my eyelashes most of the time. When I pinch it and pull it down, it easily covers my eye. When I smile, my eyes are like little triangular slits. I'm thinking about having an eye job, but don't know anyone who has done it, and don't even know what questions to ask.

It is my understanding that if the lid is actually obstructing one's vision, that insurance will sometimes pay. I wonder if they'll pay for both lids if only one is that bad. And, I wonder how much obstruction is enough to qualify.

I also wonder about the procedure itself, how much it hurts, bruising, healing time, whether the lids will sag again in a few years.

I'm 47 years old, if that matters.

Does anyone know about this? I'd even appreciate the name of the procedure, so I can google it.

Thanks.

Blepharoplasty?

I don't know much about general eyelid surgery, but I'm Asian and know lots of "twinkie" Asians who have had eyelid surgery to add in the extra eyelid thingy that white folks have. They use a laser, so there isn't bruising.

I'd imagine that if one's vision is affected, it wouldn't hurt to inquire the insurance company about chipping in.

She had it done around 8 years ago. She was in her mid 50's at the time. On her one side the lid did cover her eye. She could only keep it open for a couple of hours a day before it was covered. Her insurance did cover it, but they have always had excellent insurance. They did do both eyes. I believe the doctor wrote that the other eye was in the process of doing the same thing, and it was. It probably would have taken only a couple of more years for her other eyelid to fall as well.

She had a hard time recovering, but my mom always has a hard time recovering from any procedure. The doctor said she managed to be in the very small percentage of people who reacted the way she did. Overall, she was happy with the procedure because now she can see. Her sister is now having simiar issues, though not as bad. I think she is also going to try and see if her insurance will cover it.

I will also have the same issue one day.

When I was little I remember my great-aunt had this problem. She lived with my grandmom and she (my aunt) was mentally slow. It became an issue where she couldn't see because of her lids drooping so low over her eyes, so she taped them up! We used to think it was funny, but she was happy she could see.

Have a very long interview with potential surgeons. The one person I know who had this done-more for cosmetic than vision needs-ended up looking permanently surprised. Admittedly we have since moved to different places so I don't know how she has fared beyond a year post surgery. I do know that all her friends talked behind her back about how odd it made her face look. I think this was a result of poor consultation and decisions made with the surgeon rather than a normal outcome of this type of surgery. I do think a good doc can do this and have all come out beautifully. ETA: (and I don't know how the green smiley got there-ignore it please.)

My Mom had this done about 4-5 years ago. She had it done because the extra skin was obstructing her vision. One eye was worse than the other, but the surgeon got approval for both to be done and insurance covered it.

It was a relatively simple procedure...a little bruising and discomfort. Mom basically took it easy for a few days, took some Tylenol and I think she had to avoid bright sun for a day or two.

She looks very natural...no "surprised look" or anything like that. She has had NO relapse of sagging skin. She just turned 63... :)

I have a good friend who had this done. She was very against plastic surgery, but by evening her eyelid skin was over her lashes. Her dh said he wanted to get the surgery for her for her birthday, because he was tired of not being able to see her eyes!

They took a quarter-size hunk of skin off each eyelid, and now she looks normal again. She did not have much pain or bruising, she wishes she had done it 10 years ago. (She's in her 60s.)

She looks great- not surprised or anything. I only see her once every year or so, I just thought she looked happy & healthy- I asked what she had been doing right lately.:001_smile:

My father had it done because it was obstructing his eyesight significantly. It was fairly painless he said, little recovery, and he didn't have the suprised look at all (granted, it's not a lift, but still...). He's not a plastic surgeon kind of guy at all, but is really glad he had it done. And yes, his insurance paid a good portion.