Menu

How does Saxon 1 address place value?

jer2911mom

I had the chance to skim through a friend's Saxon 1 teacher manual and at first glance it didn't seem place value was being addressed very much at all. Do you feel it covers this adequately? I have a set of base 10 blocks and didn't see where those would fit in nicely with a lesson. Thanks

I had the chance to skim through a friend's Saxon 1 teacher manual and at first glance it didn't seem place value was being addressed very much at all. Do you feel it covers this adequately? I have a set of base 10 blocks and didn't see where those would fit in nicely with a lesson. Thanks

Saxon generally uses coins to teach place value. A child will learn that a penny is worth 1 cent and a dime is worth 10 cents and then spend some lessons trading pennies for dimes. There will be further lessons that make the connection with place value more explicit. They will also use a dollar to teach the 100s place. I don't think that base 10 blocks were a required manipulative for Saxon. There were some lessons with groups of 10 linking cubes being formed and regrouped to teach borrowing and carrying.

We're in the first 1/4 of Saxon 2 and this is being covered again, so while it was introduced in Saxon 1, they seem to have the expectation that it will be at least reinforced.

BTW, this is one of the skills that is reinforced in the meeting section of the lesson. So if you're skipping the meeting, the student would be getting less practice with place value as represented by dimes and pennies.

This is one of the main reasons I dropped Saxon 1 with my oldest years ago. I felt the coverage of place value / base ten was woefully inadequate. I had inherited the teacher's manuals through Saxon 3, and didn't see it getting a whole lot better either. (I already knew, based on my own experiences as a student, that I would not use upper-level Saxon...)

IMO, place value is covered more than adequately. We are in our last month of Saxon 1 and do not skip any parts of the lesson. Place value has been addressed in at least the last 40 lessons or so. Like PP said, they use coins to introduce the concept. Then in the meeting it asks the child to count by tens and then ones to reach that days number. Then in the lesson it will have a number, lets say 89. You will ask the child to identify how many 10s and how many 1s are in that number. Then this is covered again on the daily worksheet using either money, grouping, or simply identifying place value. There also adding activities that reinforce the concept as well. This is all repeated in every lesson for weeks. My DD has this drilled into her head. Saxon 1 mostly covers the 1s and 10s places, and introduces 100s around lesson 90 or so and reviews it until the end (lesson 128). HTH!

IMO, place value is covered more than adequately. We are in our last month of Saxon 1 and do not skip any parts of the lesson. Place value has been addressed in at least the last 40 lessons or so. Like PP said, they use coins to introduce the concept. Then in the meeting it asks the child to count by tens and then ones to reach that days number. Then in the lesson it will have a number, lets say 89. You will ask the child to identify how many 10s and how many 1s are in that number. Then this is covered again on the daily worksheet using either money, grouping, or simply identifying place value. There also adding activities that reinforce the concept as well. This is all repeated in every lesson for weeks. My DD has this drilled into her head. Saxon 1 mostly covers the 1s and 10s places, and introduces 100s around lesson 90 or so and reviews it until the end (lesson 128). HTH!

:iagree: We are about 2 months away from finishing Saxon 1 and as the pp mentioned above PV is covered in the meeting lessons. My dd quickly caught on to PV by using pennies and dimes. HTH!