Menu

Who do you ask about availability for babysitting....15yo sitter or her parents?

I never know what to do. If I am asking a teen to babysit, should I ask the parents if it is okay for me to ask the sitter first, or just call and ask the sitter directly? What if the parent is the one who answers the phone? Should I ask for the teen, without saying anything to the parent? ...or if the parent answers, tell the parent why I am calling?

I would call, and if the teen answered, I would just ask her if she was available, and leave it to her to check with her mom.

If the mom answered, I'd say "hi, it's so and so, how are you? I was actually calling to check if so and so is available to babysit for me" and the mom would either ask you for the details or would put the daughter on the phone with you.

i'm not sure. i have a 15 yo dd and in the past few months, two moms have contacted me before contacting her. i would have been fine with them contacting her directly, but she ran it by me anyway so maybe it works to check with the parent first. i am not sure if the people i babysat for as a young teen ran it by my parents first or not, but if it is the first time, it would be a nice courtesy.

The first time I hire a teenager, I approach the parents first to get their approval. After that, I approach the teenager directly. Typically, they tell me something like, I think I can but I have to check with my mom/parents/etc.

Anne

:iagree: That is how I do it as well.

The people dd15 sits for talk/ed to me first, then directly call her (though I'm usually the one who answers the home phone!). She has one client who has referred her to other families. This client calls dd15 to let her know new people will be calling and gives her a bit of information about the new family (how she knows them etc).

I agree with asking the mom the first time as a courtesy. After that, I would call and if the teen answered, ask her and let her clear it with her mother. If the mother answered, I would explain to her why I was calling.

(All a moot point! My 2 teen babysitters are my own kiddos! LOL)

This.