Menu

Did you ever stop to think about what a "different" group we are?

I had a forlorn little boyscout come to the door selling carmel corn. I couldn't resist him so I bought a bag against my better judgement. It was actually very good and when I looked at the ingredients I was surprised to see that there was no HFCS in it. I commented on my Facebook and realized that I had opened myself up for all kinds of remarks.... what's wrong with high fructose corn syrup, etc.

I'm so used to the WTM boards! When you think of it though, we ARE very different. Many of us actually cook at home, reading the "what's for supper" thread I see homemade bread, many grind their own wheat, some make yogurt, we talk about GMO, HFCS, Food Inc, many make their own laundry detergent, use coconut oil as a moisturizer, etc, etc ... and we homeschool!

Thanks for being different with me!

I'm so used to the WTM boards! When you think of it though, we ARE very different. Many of us actually cook at home, reading the "what's for supper" thread I see homemade bread, many grind their own wheat, some make yogurt, we talk about GMO, HFCS, Food Inc, many make their own laundry detergent, use coconut oil as a moisturizer, etc, etc ... and we homeschool!

...mixed in with homeschoolers who love them some canned spaghetti on toast. :p

[wait - the toast is whole wheat...that counts, right?!]

i'm just teasing (although i do love my spaghettitoast!) ~ i might not be all about the homemade granola & yoghurt, but there are LOTS of 'homeschoolerish' things i could say on fb that would get a wtf from my friends and family too. ;)

Funny.. I remember someone saying to me once (in a rather supercilious tone) "Well my kids are in school from 8am to 6pm; their before and after school club is so good. I really enjoy my job as a [something high-powered, I forget what]. I'm just not one of those stay at home, knit your own muesli types." :blink: Knit your own muesli?!?

But actually, I have made my own muesli.. and it was very nice, thank you! On the other hand, I will eat McDonald's and enjoy it. All things in moderation. :tongue_smilie:

I had a forlorn little boyscout come to the door selling carmel corn. I couldn't resist him so I bought a bag against my better judgement. It was actually very good and when I looked at the ingredients I was surprised to see that there was no HFCS in it. I commented on my Facebook and realized that I had opened myself up for all kinds of remarks.... what's wrong with high fructose corn syrup, etc.

Thanks for being different with me!

Just wanted to clarify.... I do SOME of those things, but not all. I was just talking about us collectively. I do grind my own wheat and make bread and it's thanks to all of you that I make my own yogurt. Every time the laundry detergent threads come up, I contemplate. I've tried the coconut oil and use it once in a while (again.... all because of WTM). Whatever we do or don't do, you can say we ARE informed! Except for Jean, of course! JK... LOL :D

Edited by BeckyFL

And I love all of you for it! Please don't forget that there are so many differing levels of education here as well. I love that we all mesh on so many levels regardless of having a Bachelor's, Master's, even PHD! I would honestly be lost without this board for guidance. HSing was the best decision I have made and I wouldn't change a thing. If only I could get just a few of my friends to realize that going to Prom, Homecoming, being a cheerleader....all of this does not make you a better person and you can be "normal" NOT going to public HS!

Funny.. I remember someone saying to me once (in a rather supercilious tone) "Well my kids are in school from 8am to 6pm; their before and after school club is so good. I really enjoy my job as a [something high-powered, I forget what]. I'm just not one of those stay at home, knit your own muesli types." :blink: Knit your own muesli?!?

:lol::lol::lol:

I love this joint. I took advice out of my comfort zone from Ms. SpaghettiToast herself and took my kids to a concert - we all enjoyed it immensely. :D

And since I'm a food-a-holic, this is the only place I can come and feel at home with my fellow food purity junkies. Oh, and there's that homeschool thing...this place is pretty good with that, too...

:lol:I'd better get to knitting or the kids won't have anyhting to eat for breakfast(I knit "granola" though:D)

:lol:I'd better get to knitting or the kids won't have anyhting to eat for breakfast(I knit "granola" though:D)

:lol::lol::lol:

I think did this the wrong way but this all was hilarious!

ETA: This thread is exactly why I am coming back here after being gone awhile! I can't really say what I want with the "real life" people I hang with most of the time---- that is unless I want "the look"

Edited by Binalina

Thursday I was sitting on the bleachers with the other soccer moms watching our 4 years olds. The subject was on where we got our kids' halloween outfits. These ladies know I'm semi-granola, so I kept quiet to hide how full-blown granola I'd sound, but the main talker asked me outright, "What about you guys?". My reply: "Well, my son's into cacti plants, so he asked to be a Saguaro Cactus this year, so I made him a saguaro cactus outfit."

So, yep -- I identify with this thread no doubt.:lol:

post-16194-13535083984827_thumb.jpg

post-16194-13535083984827_thumb.jpg

Edited by mhg

What I really like is that people on this board are all over the map politically, educationally (in terms of how many years of school they themselves have completed), and geographically, and yet there are many areas (goats, chickens, homemade bread, self-made yogurt - anyone else tried sprouts? - etc.) where we share values in common. And, of course, the most important value we share - homeschooling, and the belief that family is more important than an institution.

BTW - LOVE the cactus outfit! Wish I had that kind of creativity!

Off to do the ABI5 (Artisan Bread in 5!) :001_smile:

My in-Laws are visiting, we watched King Corn with them! My 5 year old explains the movie this way: "It's about some guys with corn in their hair."

They are planning on watching Food Inc next and also are planning on cutting down on HFCS! (My FIL ingests a lot of ketchup, so the ketchup switch alone will limit his HFCS intake a lot.)

My MIL owns a denim jumper, BTW, and is a big fan of homeschooling, I'm thinking it is the denim jumper thing, somehow. (I do not own a denim jumper, however.)

Edited by ElizabethB

Thursday I was sitting on the bleachers with the other soccer moms watching our 4 years olds. The subject was on where we got our kids' halloween outfits. These ladies know I'm semi-granola, so I kept quiet to hide how full-blown granola I'd sound, but the main talker asked me outright, "What about you guys?". My reply: "Well, my son's into cacti plants, so he asked to be a Saguaro Cactus this year, so I made him a saguaro cactus outfit."

:lol::lol::lol: so cute!

LOL, I love it!!!

He is just beaming in that picture!! What an adorable little guy, and a fantastic costume! :001_smile:

Love the hive in that we can come together and disagree without all that real-life drama. There is so much drama between hsers in my area . :glare:

I had exactly the same :001_huh: experience this weekend. I was on scout leader training camp and it was my job to buy food for my patrol. I got moaned at for NOT buying the mayo full of additives and crap, and buying the good stuff with real ingredients instead. They looked at me like I had two heads when I said I avoid additives and prefer real food.

It does seem common for homeschooling and food purity to go together, I do know non-homeschoolers who are equally fussy about their food, but not as many. I'm pondering why that is, is it perfectionism? A desire to be out of the mainstream? Education?

My MIL owns a denim jumper, BTW, and is a big fan of homeschooling, I'm thinking it is the denim jumper thing, somehow. (I do not own a denim jumper, however.)

I got rid of all my denim jumpers about the time I started homeschooling..,trying not to feed the misconceptions....but dadgummit, those things were so COMFY!

I like the diversity here, and the crunchiness. I go on MDC sometimes, too, but the forums are so huge and sub-divided there now, I don't like that as much.

The costume reminds me of the Goodwill commericals out here right now, which are hilarious. This clueless woman is trying to guess what the kids are, "Um...an octopus, some kind of pizza, a fire hydrant?" and the kids are all, "Multitasker!" "Bacteria! I'm Bacteria, Dad, they aren't getting it!" and, "Don't you get it? I'm the Palo Verde Nuclear Reactor!"

Love that commerical. :lol: