Menu

Spelling Recommendation 2nd grade with Very Challenging Words?

Lorriekay

I have been using TOG (Tapestry of Grace) spelling/vocab lists for weekly spelling tests.

The words are hard, sometimes Very hard. He averages about 10 to 13 words a week and also is responsible for knowing the meanings.

The words are associated with our history/geography teachings so that part is nice because it reinforces his learning.

Also .. during our studies if there is a word he can't spell which I feel is a good one for him to know, I add it.

Sometimes I remove words as well.

He is a natural speller!

I would like to find spelling lists for him that are more commonly used instead of words tied to our lessons. (well not instead of, in addition to lol)

They also need to be difficult words.

It is not as easy as it sounds.

I have checked on the internet for sample third grade, fourth grade, fifth grade, etc. lists

The lists do not seem appropriate for him so I don't know where to turn.

I know I could choose lists from a particular spelling program at a higher grade level but what grade level?

I was wondering if anyone here could help me with this. I do plan on continuing to pick and choose among the TOG words. I also add science vocab words occasionally from Apologia.

I am looking for general words. I don't really want a complicated Program,

just some good, solid, lists!

I Would get as part of a program if I have to, if the lists were just right

Thanks again..

is there a test he could take online? (for spelling placement)

It would be great if I could just take out the list each week and not have to prepare as much.

thanks, Loretta mom to DS 7 Ben:lurk5:

For my natural spellers *when* we've chosen to use a spelling program (and sometimes I just chuck it, since their spelling appears to improve regardless of whether we spend time on a particular "spelling study"), the best I've found has been Spelling Power. It covers roughly grades 3-12 in one book, which I've found awfully convenient with kids like ours. You simply administer the placement tests and start your child at his level, regardless of age. We do not do all of the "steps" for studying missed words, since generally my kids don't need that. They write missed words a couple of times, and we test them again the next time we do spelling.

You don't need any of the supplements for Spelling Power. An older (used, cheaper) edition will work fine. Just read the "quick start guide", not the endless, meandering instructions. ;)

But for kids who need higher level spelling words and who don't need to spend a lot of time on each list, Spelling Power can be adapted to work very well.

Have you seen Natural Speller? It is basically a book full of lists by grade level. You could just test until your ds makes mistakes then spend some time working on those "word families". Spelling Power also works just like that from what I understand. That may work if you wanted to work above grade level except you don't, right? :confused: I think you have to if you want to challenge him.

Otherwise the TOG lists is a great way to go. I have wondered what to do with my natural speller dd and I love that idea! Those words are hard and vocab is done at the same time. Voila, perfect! I do not have the time to implement it right now though so I completely understand.

I have been debating what to do for about 2 mos with my dd and have decided on R&S Spelling (I think). I plan on starting a year above grade level. It may be easy but it seems like everything will be. I just want to get the job done - easy on teacher and cheap. I have no idea if I'll be happy going this way but I can't handle the thought of doing no spelling. That was plan B.

I hope something in my rambling was helpful.:)

Thanks everyone!

I will check into those suggestions.. the Spelling Power and Natural Speller.

I like the idea of pretesting and creating the list from missed words. That would be ideal for us, I believe.

This week I googled common misspelled words and found a list from Donna Young

It has a ton of words on the list that she has compiled from various sources.

I just chose about 5 words from that list and added them to some of the TOG words for this week.

It worked out well especially since the TOG list wasn't that difficult this week (which is unusual)

Heading off to check out your suggestions! Thanks again,

Loretta :lurk5:

For my natural spellers *when* we've chosen to use a spelling program (and sometimes I just chuck it, since their spelling appears to improve regardless of whether we spend time on a particular "spelling study"), the best I've found has been Spelling Power. It covers roughly grades 3-12 in one book, which I've found awfully convenient with kids like ours. You simply administer the placement tests and start your child at his level, regardless of age. We do not do all of the "steps" for studying missed words, since generally my kids don't need that. They write missed words a couple of times, and we test them again the next time we do spelling.

You don't need any of the supplements for Spelling Power. An older (used, cheaper) edition will work fine. Just read the "quick start guide", not the endless, meandering instructions. ;)

But for kids who need higher level spelling words and who don't need to spend a lot of time on each list, Spelling Power can be adapted to work very well.

:iagree: