Menu

What are your fave PBS series, old or new?

I used to watch PBS more often, and I remember loving some shows (some of which I can't remember the names!). I'm also thinking of getting some collections as gifts, so I'd love to hear your input.

Also, if you would, please mention whether they might be appropriate for older kids (8 and up), particularly any of the mystery series.

Thank you!

:lurk5:

I liked Frontier House.

I also like the Cranford series and the Sherlock Holmes stuff.

Great Expectations (BBC) was, well, great! I think it's Masterpiece Theater--it stars Daniel Radcliff from Harry Potter in the first part of the series.

Wonderworks' Anne of Green Gables (part one and part two, but not part 3) is terrific, as is A Little Princess.

I love the Mystery! series! (And no -- they are very inappropriate for little kids. Wait 'til they have either read Agatha Christie or are teens used to Law & Order type of shows.) Inspector Lewis tackles modern day topics (homosexuality, child abuse, drugs, etc.) while Poirot and Marple tackle the old books written by Dame Agatha. But it is plotting devious schemes of MURDER in her books -- that we are talking about. LOL And she started the whole "cozy" Murder Mystery genre of someone being bumped off in an old English manor.

I am excited to watch Sherlock tonight!

Edited by tex-mex

oh yeah--forgot about Frontier House! loved it.

about mysteries...I remember reading Agatha Christie books at least by the time I was in early teens. my ds would probably enjoy, but he is only 8, and, like you say, it's all about murder! sigh...guess I will wait on those.:tongue_smilie:

oh yeah--forgot about Frontier House! loved it.

about mysteries...I remember reading Agatha Christie books at least by the time I was in early teens. my ds would probably enjoy, but he is only 8, and, like you say, it's all about murder! sigh...guess I will wait on those.:tongue_smilie:

Why not start him on (simple) classics like the 3 Investigators? If he likes them, there are movies based on the books on Cartoon Network. The Hardy Boys or modern mysteries for kids like the 39 Clues?

Steven Spielburg got the book rights to the 39 Clues in 2008 and will be making a series of movies based on the popular books.

Edited by tex-mex

For kids, maybe ...

Connections

Cosmos

Appalachia

Nature

Rick Steves

Liberty Kids

Magic School Bus

Not for kids (well other folks kids, mine have watched and like, but we are odd)...

I Claudius

Mystery (Cadfael, Game, Set, and Match, and many more)

Frontline

Upstairs Downstairs

Six Wives of Henry the Eight

Jeeves and Wooster

Prime Suspect

Monty Python

I liked Frontier House.

We liked that one too! I think "Liberty's Kids" was from PBS - we ate up every episode.

Currently my littles adore Curious George and they will make the science projects after watching (gotta' love a program that encourages creativity), and I find myself using PBS Teachers to search for related videos for our lessons.

:iagree:

I love the Mystery! series! (And no -- they are very inappropriate for little kids. Wait 'til they have either read Agatha Christie or are teens used to Law & Order type of shows.) Inspector Lewis tackles modern day topics (homosexuality, child abuse, drugs, etc.) while Poirot and Marple tackle the old books written by Dame Agatha. But it is plotting devious schemes of MURDER in her books -- that we are talking about. LOL And she started the whole "cozy" Murder Mystery genre of someone being bumped off in an old English manor.

I loved Foyle's War too -- was that PBS? What about Bleak House?