Menu

Starting to use bulk tea-do I want a tea ball or tea infusing spoon?

Would the spoon be best?
It doesn't matter, as long as it's big enough that the tea is not tightly packed.

As for Amazon teas, we like Numi and Tao of Tea. Is there are particular kind you like? Do you want tea tea, or herbal?

Here's information on both comanies:

Numi

Tao of Tea

If you can find them, I think the sealing tea bags that some health food stores sell work best. You can package up some of your bulk tea in them, and that way it's premeasured, and ready to be steeped whenever you're ready for tea. I prefer these, because it always seems that the spoons and tea balls still allow the dust to get into my tea, and I'm picky like that.

You can also find them on amazon. Just do a search for "tea bag for bulk tea", or "tea filters".

I've been using bulk tea for YEARS! I secretly think they pack tea bags with the left over bits in the bottom of the tea tins and it's just not as good IMO. I prefer the tea ball (strainer) to the metal spoon. The spoon doesn't sit in the cup as well (it floats often) and the holes are too big and tea escapes, leaving you with leaves floating in your tea. Make sure you don't pack it full though. The tea needs room to move around.

Often, I'll make tea for all 3 of us and I pack some tea in little filter bags I buy from the tea shop. They are self sealing, but I still use a tea clip to make sure none of the tea escapes. I've found that I use less tea when making a larger pot than if I make individual cups because I can let it brew longer. The longer it brews, the less tea I need.

Man, now I need tea. Off to the tea cupboard to make a cup!;)

What you really want is one (or two) of these little baskets. So much easier than the ball. Hang it on the side of your mug or put it into your tea pot, add appropriate amount of tea and cover. It makes wonderful tea.
Oh, that's brilliant...

What you really want is one (or two) of these little baskets. So much easier than the ball. Hang it on the side of your mug or put it into your tea pot, add appropriate amount of tea and cover. It makes wonderful tea.

Yes this is the perfect thing! It's all I use also. Ohhh, cold weather = hot tea and a fire in the fireplace, school suddenly has atmosphere!

I don't like either one. I prefer a tea infuser, which sits inside the cup/mug. There are two on this page ("tea infuser small" and "tea infuser large"). A tea sock is good, too, if you can find it. I also like "The People's Brew Basket."

Tea leaves expands when they are wet. Brew baskets/infusers give them lots of room to breathe while they are brewing. Spoons and teaballs don't seem to have that much room. I could be wrong, but still...:-)

• 1 year later...

I have this. I'm not sure if it's a ball or spoon.

9d08a161.jpg

I'm just as likely to use a teapot though. I have a little cast iron Asian pot with a mesh insert that makes about a mug of tea.

I do think the tea likes to spread out, so I also brew it in a pot or mug, then strain it through this into a mug before drinking it.

40d3314d.jpg

Edited by KungFuPanda

I use the teapots and strainers from For Life. They are amazing. Since you don't do pots of tea they also have mugs:

http://www.forlifedesign.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=36

http://www.forlifedesign.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12_5&products_id=38

KungFuPanda, is that the one from IKEA? I picked up a few of those during my last trip since we grow our own mint and raspberry teas....I agree, though, the basket is my preferred method now.

I don't remember. Actually I'm not sure which item you're asking about, but I don't remember where I got either of them. I DO have an Ikea problem. I KNOW I picked up the small cast iron kettle for cheap at Home Goods.

Is would caution you to make sure you get stainless. We had a tea ball/spoon thing once that wasn't stainless and it rusted on us.